Wanted To Trade Powder For Primers

James Sexton

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I live in far Southwest Virginia and have 1 pound of each H 4895 , Rl 17 and IMR 4350 that I will trade 1 pound of powder per 1000 primers. I need large rifle primers and large rifle magnum primers. Anyone wanting to trade please let me know. Thank you.

I’d do it for the RL17 but I’m down in Bama.

Sorry we’re not closer, we could help each other out.

Same as WAB, except I'm in Texas. Would like some RL17 and IMR4350. I have about 3500 or 4000 LR primers (Win, Rem, CCI, Federal) and maybe 500 SR primers left.

Considering that a trade that involved shipping would put the hazmat fee in excess of the value of either the box of primers or a pound of powder, the only trade that makes sense would be face to face trade. Unfortunately everyone that has responded is at least a thousand miles away. I'm wondering what the shipper buys with the Hazmat fee - extra insurance? or some government program- whatever, it certainly does impede a flow of commerce- but then the government has to do it's job.

I'm wondering what the shipper buys with the Hazmat fee - extra insurance? or some government program- whatever, it certainly does impede a flow of commerce- but then the government has to do it's job.

This is a commercial training course for becoming certified to ship explosives. While loaded ammunition is classified as explosives, it has "No significant blast hazard".

www.tci-training.com

DOT Explosives Shipping Classification | TCI LLC Website

Course Description for TCI's DOT Explosives Shipping training course.
www.tci-training.com
www.tci-training.com

Explosives Shipping Classification DOT Ex-Number Training & Workshop
Course Registration Fee: $2,100 Please join Safety Management Services, Inc. (SMS), one of the U.S. DOT’s premier examining agencies, for an exciting and insightful look into the hazards classification process for Class 1 materials.

I see posts on other forums where persons arrange to ship gunpowder and primer to other forum users. I hope for their sake that a DOT inspector isn't on that forum...

Last edited:
Sounds like we need an AH swap meet!

To clarify where I'm located. NOT IN I REPEAT NOT IN WEST VIRGINIA. I love in the very western tip of the state of Virginia near the Cumberland Gap. Wedged right between Kentucky and Tennessee.

I hate to sound like a druggie telling you what the street prices are on this stuff right now, but here goes.

Federal Primers, Magnum, are running $320.00 a thousand.

1lb of powder such as RL15 or H4350 is running $100 a pound.

I think you're on the right track trying to barter with people because its insane to pay the going "street price" for this stuff at present. Better off trading your excess for what you need creating a win-win.

I wouldnt say those are street prices, but rather online auction site prices. My LGS had primers the other day for $150 per K and powders when they get them are running perhaps 10 percent above normal.
Places like GB and others are just simply hosing those willing to pay exorbitant prices. I dont blame guys who do but it does set a bad precedent.

@rookhawk in my opinion and only my opinion I think a pound of powder is worth 1000 primers and that's how I will trade. Nobody in my area wants to trade I'll keep my powder and shoot til I run out of primers.

@rookhawk in my opinion and only my opinion I think a pound of powder is worth 1000 primers and that's how I will trade. Nobody in my area wants to trade I'll keep my powder and shoot til I run out of primers.

Different drug dealers charge different prices for their smack.

:)

Sorry you can't source product at reasonable prices. The market is insane and the panic of no availability is driving prices up even more as people hoard anything they can find.

I'm actually dumbfound the ammo I listed for sale didn't all go straight-away. My local Cabelas has ZERO ammo. Nothing. Not even weird stuff. Not some obscure weatherby cartridge. Not some odd rimfire. Not some odd shot size or gauge of shotshell.

REALLY? Does everyone suddenly need 16 gauge bismuth loads so bad they bought every case? Does everyone really need a full case of 224 weatherby, 250 savage, and 12 gauge 3.5" buckshot right now?

I can't wait. I'm saving up a few grand. I'm going to buy a ROOM full of this stuff wholesale in 3 years when the nuts stop driving the prices up. One purchase, done for life.

Hopefully the manufacturers will catchup with their production so Supply/Demand can return to some sort of normalcy; but then I see where a bunch of computer thieves caused major havoc to the fuel and meat distribution with no end to their activities, so who knows?

At the gun shows here in Alaska, no problem with powder or primers. Powder is 35-40$ per pound and primers are selling for 75$ per thousand. Problem is they can't be shipped out of state for a reasonable fee.

Some powders are simply unobtainable now. Other are available in the continental 48 states if one works at finding them. Using tools such as Loaddata.com ($40 a year subscription) I discovered available alternatives to those favorite but unavailable powders. Natchez, Grafs, Powder Valley, Midway USA, and other sites sporadically have powders available at $25 to $40 a pound. I have also found what I need by frequenting the local gun/reloading stores.

Primers are a different story. I haven't seem any available at those sites or local stores in a very long time. $100 a thousand is unfortunately the going minimum rate for large and small rifle and pistol primers.

I got some Norma powders from Powder Valley to try. I am on the email list at Grafs but have not gotten one notice.
LGS had some .50 cal powder the other day and nothing else. Primers were $15 per HUNDRED! Limit 100!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg