WANTED: South African Buffalo Hunt

@tap just reading your accomplishments I thought you were much older. Well done my friend and congratulations on the new wife.

Btw totally get it, my wife is from Long Island, near the city. I took her on an easy hike, on a trail...Which according to her was not a trail as it was not paved.

Tap that dream is completely possible. But honestly, i can say at that price, with the requirements, its definitely impossible unfortunately. That tipe of bul can be provided but not at a price of a propper PG hunt, ar double buff cue hunt, in a good area.
Unfenced 43" plus buffalo will be no less than $35 000. For $10 000, you will get a standard high fenced hunt up to 40" and nothing bigger.
These open area buff of 43" and up we can provide, but they are at a great premium.

@tap,

Congratulations on the new wife, I do recall what you shared you went through with the first and am happy to see you have moved on with life. As well, I remember the amazing ele hunt in Botswana you had about that time.

We met a few years back in Vegas at the SCI convention, actually I think it was at the Eye Candy for the AH get together. For those that read this post, I know that Tony can across a certain way on these forums. As such when I met him I was prepared for someone I thought I had pegged. I must say I was totally wrong about my preconceived notions. We had some great conversation and a few laughs that night as I recall, and I definitely walked away having learned a lesson of not using forums like this to necessarily think you know someone.

Having said that Tony, I have to agree with @HeinrichH, what you're asking for will be very difficult if not impossible to find at the price you're willing to pay in South Africa. I would happy to discuss this with Jacques @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris, but I feel pretty confident that we would not be able to do that hunt at that price with both a hunter and observer in camp. Yes we are a business and just as you expected and needed to make a profit in your business so do we. I make no excuses nor apologies for that. I'm sure you'd agree this is true for any safari company no matter the country and also true for any business that wants to stay in business.

So if there is flexibility in the price you're willing to pay, please let me know. If you'd like to call, my cell number can be found in my signature.

I believe Serapa would be a great place to bring your new wife, the "city girl" as you described her. The lodge and chalets are simply first class and I'm confident she'd be quite happy with her husband taking her to such a place.

Furthermore Serapa is located in the NW Province desert country. There is thorn bush to contend with as in most places in RSA, but it is more sparsely dispersed, especially in comparison to what you would typically find in Limpopo. The ranch is also relatively free of rocks with the ground consisting of varying degrees of soft to hard sand pack. So as you ride around in the back of a bakkie, the ride is quite smooth overall compared to other locations that are much more rocky. The terrain is pretty much flat with any of the hillls being quite small with gentle slopes. In other words at the end of the day, the new lady shouldn't feel like her kidneys are in her ears or her feet and legs should be amputated. And if that's not quite enough, you can even arrange a spa day for her right there at the ranch.

Whatever you decide, I wish you two a long and happy marriage and excellent trip to Africa!

Good luck tony I know your more a hunter then a few think you are that posted on the thread. You still know how to make a splash asking for the hunt you want. ;)

I wish I could help but what your looking for we can't do at that price. Good luck and glad to here your back on track and have the new wife.

Tap that dream is completely possible. But honestly, i can say at that price, with the requirements, its definitely impossible unfortunately. That tipe of bul can be provided but not at a price of a propper PG hunt, ar double buff cue hunt, in a good area.
Unfenced 43" plus buffalo will be no less than $35 000. For $10 000, you will get a standard high fenced hunt up to 40" and nothing bigger.
These open area buff of 43" and up we can provide, but they are at a great premium.

I am reminded why I love the Caprivi and Mozambique so much. One hunts very hard, and one's PH is doing everything in his power to find you the very best bull he can within the time limit imposed. The hunt is for a contracted price (usually the daily rate) and the buffalo is the cost of a trophy fee for - well - a buffalo. No premium fees for a bull over X. Jammy Traut's team worked their tales off in the Caprivi, and I took home a massive old 42" bull which had neither a photo, nor a name, nor a premium price. In the Zambezi Delta I took home an ancient 37" bull. And it was the one I chose to take after looking over a number of candidates in herds of hundreds. I'll chose my buffalo again this year when back in the Delta.

However, my guess is that this last best rest of Africa will gradually turn into New Zealand as well. With exponentially multiplying populations, few countries will be able to afford true wilderness areas set aside for hunting. And I don't blame the concession owners who hunt "free range" herds in the RSA like Heinrich. If they have an area where they can consistently find a particular class of bull, why not sell it to an oligarch for a huge premium. It is called supply and demand. I am going to do my first South African hunt for buffalo next year. My expectations are very different than those I have when I step off into the razor grass or black thorn of Moz or Northern Namibia. But like Tap, my bride will be along on that trip and her wilderness tolerance is very different than mine. We'll also be doing Cape Town on the back end. So an old gnarly 36 - 38" bull will be just fine from the "open area" herds we'll be hunting near Kruger.

I also don't believe I would want to fulfill a hunting goal under such conditions. For instance, I have always wanted to take a 6 1/2 year old 180 class whitetail buck. Were I so inclined, I could pay a sum and contract for that buck on any number of game ranches within an hour of my front door. However, to me at least, that wouldn't be fulfilling a goal - merely shooting a deer. The sense of achievement associated with taking a particular animal has always been more important than the actual animal on the wall or in a photo.

Interesting discussion and interesting window into where we are inevitably headed.

my budget is flexible based on whether or not my horse does well in the derby coming up at sunland park.

so heres the deal. i would love to hunt on the 250,000 acres. it would be a dream. however heinrich, find ian van der vyver. make a backup plan for my trip to change and come to you if i can swing the cash. i have 3 friends in this world. ian is one of them. i think that says enough.

if u need his number just get it off his website vdvsafaris.co.za. its a horrible website but hes a hunter not a businessman.

i need your best all in price. said price will invlude ample compensation gor ian. i wont tip. u put tips in the price and make sure ur staff is well taken care of. if the price is a joke i will turn it down obviously. if the buff is amazing and your giving an honest price then we can talk. send buff pics by PM pics will tell me if ur price is reasonable

my profit margins right now on my oil rigs are at 5%. they usually run 70-80%. so now that i have to tighten up all my life choices reflect that. i know what safari costs are. im all for making a profit but i wont make anyone rich in one hunt.

so im basically done on this thread. ive spent to much time on here and im way behind.

to all my friends on ah please have a blessed hunting season. keep in touch and stay close to god.

if anyone sees brickburn beat his ass for me. hes too tall and he intimidates me when i see him.

that guy scares me!

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry I was mistaken above. I meant to write my reply in refrence to cv safaris in the Kalahari area who has big buffalo and isn't wanting 38,000 for a buffalo. Did you guys know the largest buffalo you can shoot on an almost guaranteed safari right now is 38,000 and its at the Waterberg park in Namibia. you have a legit chance at a 50" buffalo there and its better than timbivati. timbivati buff run 28k for the 43 and up buff so why would anyone pay 38k for a 43" buffalo????? I guess I should have got a degree in economics and not electrical engineering

Here is a big Buffalo hunted in Namibia on the Waterberg Plateau
46 1/6 inch spread - 110 total SCI points

full

full

full

if anyone sees brickburn beat his ass for me. hes too tall and he intimidates me when i see him.

that guy scares me!

Cause you are such a small guy yourself.. :ROFLMAO:

my budget is flexible based on whether or not my horse does well in the derby coming up at sunland park.

so heres the deal. i would love to hunt on the 250,000 acres. it would be a dream. however heinrich, find ian van der vyver. make a backup plan for my trip to change and come to you if i can swing the cash. i have 3 friends in this world. ian is one of them. i think that says enough.

if u need his number just get it off his website vdvsafaris.co.za. its a horrible website but hes a hunter not a businessman.

i need your best all in price. said price will invlude ample compensation gor ian. i wont tip. u put tips in the price and make sure ur staff is well taken care of. if the price is a joke i will turn it down obviously. if the buff is amazing and your giving an honest price then we can talk. send buff pics by PM pics will tell me if ur price is reasonable

my profit margins right now on my oil rigs are at 5%. they usually run 70-80%. so now that i have to tighten up all my life choices reflect that. i know what safari costs are. im all for making a profit but i wont make anyone rich in one hunt.

so im basically done on this thread. ive spent to much time on here and im way behind.

to all my friends on ah please have a blessed hunting season. keep in touch and stay close to god.

that guy scares me!

1. I would never quote a less than "honest" price. But I guess one's perspective on this makes that definition rather subjective.

2. No one whether the price was $10K which is quite a lowball bid all things considered or $38K which is quite a ridiculously high price, would get rich off of one hunt. The closest I could think of someone doing that would have been your ele outfitter, even then I wouldn't say rich.

3. I see Wayne (Brickburn) every year at SCI. I won't nor could I if I wanted to, beat his ass though I may poke fun at the size of his feet at some risk to my health.

4. Best of luck finding what you want.

Reactions: BWH
wayne has feet???? is that what they call those? maybe the size catches me off guard.

i dye laughing every time i see wayne. the bigger they are the jollier they are. THANK GOD!
i bet brick could hunt a rhino with his bare hands and actually kill it

yeah my outfitter made a fortune off that elephant. but then again its not very often u kill a double 90. cant say i will ever do something that dumb again but on the same token im glad i did.

jerome

that buffalo is amazing. waterberg is one of my bucket list destinations. thanks for the pictures

Tap, let's hope the Africa bug bites her and you will spend many more amazing trips in Africa.

I'm sure tap, is up for any adventure, if it wasn't for the special someone in his life. I agree with you to use caution for the first trip to Africa. It's better to ease her into it rather than scare her off right away. Maybe you should see Victoria Falls?

What you can expect at Tally-Ho.

image-15-02-17-05-05.png
IMG_5899-15-02-17-05-04.png
IMG_5900-15-02-17-05-04.png
IMG_5901-15-02-17-05-04.png

Some good looking buff you got there!

Love those 3rd and 4th pics

sorry I was mistaken above. I meant to write my reply in refrence to cv safaris in the Kalahari area who has big buffalo and isn't wanting 38,000 for a buffalo. Did you guys know the largest buffalo you can shoot on an almost guaranteed safari right now is 38,000 and its at the Waterberg park in Namibia. you have a legit chance at a 50" buffalo there and its better than timbivati. timbivati buff run 28k for the 43 and up buff so why would anyone pay 38k for a 43" buffalo????? I guess I should have got a degree in economics and not electrical engineering

Timbavati has a 43 and up category ??

43" up to 48" easy in the right areas in APNR

Thank you for that subjective insight Heinrich.

Still does not answer my question though.

Thank you for that subjective insight Heinrich.

Still does not answer my question though.

Thank you Jan. I wasn't answering you, i was supporting your statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elkreaper17

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois