Wanted Sako .416 Remington

I’m going to assume you say to forget the Sako and go with one of the other options for a true CRF action which I can understand, but have you or any PH’s you’ve worked with actually had a Sako fail during a hunt?
Yes

Why not go with 458 lott. It is a stoping rifle in the view of many members here. In general 416 is not a charge stopper if you ever need to. Again it is the opinion of many members on this forum. Not mine as I have no experience in Africa. From what I have read in this forum, other forums and the book from Pondora Tylor and others my minimum will be a reliable 458 if ELEPHANT is on the list.
In a word...recoil.
If @JHT is looking for a 416 for his first Buff/Ele hunt...
It's a pretty good bet he doesn't already own DG rifle.

Shoot the largest caliber you can handle.
For some people I know they stopped (or should have) at 7mmRM.
It would at least be wise to shoot a 458LOTT before buying.
Hell, it would be smart to shoot a 416RM before buying.
Working up from the "normal" 300WM recoil levels isn't easy.

Last edited:
The guru's at our club had a 416 Rigby rifle brought in for checking - the safari operator insisted because one of his learner PH's couldnt hit anything and blamed the rifle. Long story short it checked out just fine, but it was indeed a kicker as I found out too. The cure - get him a nice heavy 375 H&H, probably CZ550. First shot placement beats all.

@375Fox
You will find number of reports for sako, on this forum, ejection issues in large calibers.
What I understand, ejected casing, hits the scope, drops back in action, jams. Do the reasearch on this forum.
Medium calibers in sako rifles, appear to work flawlessly.

If this is what IvW had in mind, I cannot say.

@375Fox
You will find number of reports for sako, on this forum, ejection issues in large calibers.
What I understand, ejected casing, hits the scope, drops back in action, jams. Do the reasearch on this forum.
Medium calibers in sako rifles, appear to work flawlessly.

If this is what IvW had in mind, I cannot say.
Yes, I’ve seen those reports, I had the same issue with my Sako 375 you just turn the scope 90 degrees and it eliminates the issue. If he’s actually had a true failure (especially more than once on same component), I’d be really interested to hear what it was.
So far only rifles that have ever let me down while hunting have been savage. Borrowed rifles, same issue on both trying to reload quickly after first shot. Issues in other rifles I’ve found at the range and corrected.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.23.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.23.44 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.23.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.23.45 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: JHT
I am closing in on my rifle. I cannot thank y'all enough. I feel this forum prevented me for making an expensive mistake. Is there any way to look up when a particular Model 70 was shipped from the factory? Serial number 62480483 (last digit might be 8) Thank you in advance.

First digit might also be "G". Sorry!

I've figured it out. It's 2005. About to pull the trigger.

I am closing in on my rifle. I cannot thank y'all enough. I feel this forum prevented me for making an expensive mistake. Is there any way to look up when a particular Model 70 was shipped from the factory? Serial number 62480483 (last digit might be 8) Thank you in advance.
Yes, I’ve seen those reports, I had the same issue with my Sako 375 you just turn the scope 90 degrees and it eliminates the issue. If he’s actually had a true failure (especially more than once on same component), I’d be really interested to hear what it was.
So far only rifles that have ever let me down while hunting have been savage. Borrowed rifles, same issue on both trying to reload quickly after first shot. Issues in other rifles I’ve found at the range and corrected.
One thing also, this only appears to affect the Sako 85. The rifle the OP was asking about is a 75. These rifles don't have the open bolt face that the 85 has in order to make it CRF. I've owned 2 model 75s in 375 H&H and neither rifle had an ejection issue. I've also owned a Sako AV in 416 Rem Mag that fed and ejected flawlessly. So a reliable Sako is not an anomaly. It just seems they are a but finicky in the model 85 livery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JHT
Thank you for the clarification. My PH recommended the Winchester as did a number of you. I am eager to receive and shoot as I have never shot anything above .300 Weatherby.

Thank you for the clarification. My PH recommended the Winchester as did a number of you. I am eager to receive and shoot as I have never shot anything above .300 Weatherby.
I've owned a 300 Weatherby before as well. If you can handle the recoil of the 300, you should be able to work into a 416 relatively easy. But a 375 would be a much easier transition.

I’m going to assume you say to forget the Sako and go with one of the other options for a true CRF action which I can understand, but have you or any PH’s you’ve worked with actually had a Sako fail during a hunt?
Yes

Are you willing to explain your answer? It appears IvW will not. The only true failure I’ve experienced on a rifle was a Thompson center venture, the list is long with it but it had a habit of decocking itself as you brought the bolt down you had to keep it on safe while closing the bolt. Other issues I’ve experienced with rifles have been accidental release of clip on Tikka against backpack several times, accidental release of magazine/trigger on a Blaser, inability to quickly reload on savage rifles. I had ejection issue on my 375 Sako but I discovered it at range and corrected it by turning scope. Those issues (or not identifying them) I would consider more of a issue with myself than a rifle failing. I have a 270,300,375,416 in Sako 85. The 300 and 375 have seen the most use and I’ve had no reliability issues. If it’s a recurring issue you’ve seen I’d really like to be aware of it.

I have a Sako 85 Safari in .416 Rigby. This is the new XL action and I have had no issues with ejection with this rifle. The scope on it is Swarosvki Z8i 1-8 power. Scope is mounted on Apel scope mounts.

I had ejection issues with my older Sako M995 (6.5x55). The scope was mounted as low as possible and the scope was S&B PMII 5-25 with pretty big turrets. There the shel would hit the scope turret in case I worked the bolt gently.

In summary: I'm familiar with the ejection issue, but don't have it in the newer Sako with XL action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois