Reaction score
Media
Member of
NHSA, SA Wingshooters, SA Hunters
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Hi All

Trying my luck...

Any one have a Rigby Single Square bridge in 416 they want to sell?

Perferably in RSA.

Cheers

Does CZ550 count ?
New one in Polokwane I am told at what I am told is a good price R25,000

Does CZ550 count ?
New one in Polokwane I am told at what I am told is a good price R25,000

Hi

Thanks for the offer but I looking for a Rigby in 416 Rigby.

Cheers

Roan,

I think you need to be much more specific. A single square bridge Rigby made Rigby 416 will set you back about $40,000, maybe more.

If you mean an Oberndorf Mauser or Brevex magnum custom made single square bridge .416 you're talking $11,000-$15,000 depending on fit and finish.

If you mean some POS that was rode hard and put away wet sold as a ZKK-602 or CZ550, you can find one for a grand in the USA and for under $2000 in RSA.

Yes, I'll find you what you implied in your request for for $40,000 and another $5000 to import it properly insured and brokered from either UK or USA. Let me know if you want to me to pursue that with my friendly contacts in the trade. I don't think you meant that though.

-Rookhawk

Reactions: BWH
I have no idea what your budget is, but have you considered contacting Rigby about a new rifle? Their PH model starts at $10,995 (US pricing) per their website.

Hi All

Trying my luck...

Any one have a Rigby Single Square bridge in 416 they want to sell?

Perferably in RSA.

Cheers

Hi Roan,

There is a very beautiful (in a proper hunting rifle sort of way) Francotte / Brevex .416 Rigby caliber Mauser, at:

www.griffinhowe.com

I know it is not a Rigby built rifle and it does not sport a square bridge.
However, it is a real beauty, especially for under $9,000.us dollars.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Hi guys

I got lucky the importers here just landed a shipment. They have a single square bridge big game PH in 416.

They are busy unpacking and will let me know to what level of poverty it will relegate me to.

Rookhawk I am not looking at the London best rifles they are way out of my league! I did however build one one there site and my price with all the extras was a mere 52 775 Pounds Sterling.

Veto Dog they got some Mauser M98's in as well. What's your thoughts on the "new M98"

Hi guys

I got lucky the importers here just landed a shipment. They have a single square bridge big game PH in 416.

They are busy unpacking and will let me know to what level of poverty it will relegate me to.

Rookhawk I am not looking at the London best rifles they are way out of my league! I did however build one one there site and my price with all the extras was a mere 52 775 Pounds Sterling.

Veto Dog they got some Mauser M98's in as well. What's your thoughts on the "new M98"

Hi again Roan,

Had to google the "new M98" as I did not know they are back in production now.
The article I just now read (authored in 2015 ?), was a little vague about the scope mounting design.
It possibly is now standard for Mauser to mill the bridges for pivot rings / twist-off style rings on this latest M98 ?

These probably work fine but, my preference for an extremely fine rifle, specifically such as this one, would definitely be either claw mounts or, possibly all steel, vintage Griffin & Howe side mount.
I prefer scopes on my rifles, usually only in calibers including .375 and under.
For my usage, I probably would not scope a .416 Rigby caliber rifle.

Well anyway, to answer your question (finally .... sheesh), I feel the "new M98" looks to be approximately as good as the Pre-War Oberndorf Magnum Mauser 98 was.
IMO, the Model 98 Mauser is the finest hunting rifle in the history of the world.
Furthermore, the only real improvement beyond the original M98s made in the Pre-War Oberndorf factory, has been only the "Model-70 safety" design, pertaining to scope usage these days.
All other design changes from the original appear to me to be nothing more than manufacturer's cost cutting ideas.

If scoping is not intended, then the original Mauser "flag safety" is at least as good as the Model 70 Winchester type "safety" design (again just IMO).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Here are some pic of the 416 Rigby. Must say i am a little disappointed.
This is the PH model.

IMG_6852.JPG
IMG_6851.JPG
IMG_6850.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a 450 Rigby thats also available.

IMG_6855.JPG
IMG_6856.JPG
IMG_6857.JPG
IMG_6853.JPG

Hi

The 450's wood is nice.

I wanted a 416. The stock on the 416 is very plain for the price. I have seen better wood on CZ's even though this is the PH model I expected a little more.

Here are some of a M98 they have as well.
Was expecting something like this.
IMG_6844.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG
IMG_6846.JPG
IMG_6847.JPG

I presume you've stuck your head into Safari & Outdoor in Rivonia and checked out their stock? The Rigby's are running around ZAR180-200k which is pretty good going IMHO. Sure it's a pile of money but you can inspect what you're buying beforehand and there's no screwing around trying to import.

Hi

The 450's wood is nice.

I wanted a 416. The stock on the 416 is very plain for the price. I have seen better wood on CZ's even though this is the PH model I expected a little more.

couls always ask for one with nicer wood. must confess i have had a look at a few of them at the shop and on the booths at sci and that one has the plainest wood on any i have looked at.......bit of a luck of the draw i think. its a semi production rifle at what is a good price i think, but yeah the wood on the 450 is a lot nicer. i would have thought if they had a shipment they would have more to choose from?......

I presume you've stuck your head into Safari & Outdoor in Rivonia and checked out their stock? The Rigby's are running around ZAR180-200k which is pretty good going IMHO. Sure it's a pile of money but you can inspect what you're buying beforehand and there's no screwing around trying to import.
That was going to be my suggestion, S&O in Pta had a few in last time i was visiting, some had nice wood, some were more plain but none looked like the 416 in the pics above.

No. This is from another dealer. Safaris ones are over priced.

This is new stock that just came in from L&O.

Can order from Rigby through another dealer at +/- R 140 K for the big game model.

Depending on our useless currency, and if I want to wait 5 months plus...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,