WANTED: Pulling The Trigger Next Year

7MAG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
For the past couple years I have been debating who to go with and what to hunt and had settled for zebra, impala, warthog, blesbok and blue wildebeest. Typical safari eh? Well the more I think about it I figure I might as well not stop at 5 animals. Now I’m planning for zebra, impala, blesbok, blue Wildebeest, black wildebeest, kudu, gemsbok, bush pig and brown hyena. Now I know my chances of getting all of those on one safari are very low, but I’d like to try. Any outfitter like to chime in on if this is possible?

I don’t think that’s and unrealistic list depending on the length of time you can get away for. Enjoy your planning!

For your first safari I’d pick 4 or 5 primary species then decide on an outfitter. After you pick your outfitter you can add to your list based on what he has available and his recommendations for your hunt. You should also consider removing bushpig and brown hyena from your list because it’s a specialized hunt. You can hunt all the other plains game as part of your general hunt and have opportunity for whatever else comes along.

We had 10 PG on our list and took the same 10 PG on our first safari. It can it can be done, but in hindsight, I would have rather stopped to smell the roses more and hunt at a more leisurely pace. I'd recommend at least a 2 week trip and (like @375Fox said) pick 4-5 primary species and then take what Africa gives you. We saw an AWESOME Impala that would have been easy to take but passed it up because we were stretched so thin. Shorter list with targets of opportunity is the way to go IMO.

For the past couple years I have been debating who to go with and what to hunt and had settled for zebra, impala, warthog, blesbok and blue wildebeest. Typical safari eh? Well the more I think about it I figure I might as well not stop at 5 animals. Now I’m planning for zebra, impala, blesbok, blue Wildebeest, black wildebeest, kudu, gemsbok, bush pig and brown hyena. Now I know my chances of getting all of those on one safari are very low, but I’d like to try. Any outfitter like to chime in on if this is possible?

The only tough ones are going to be the last two. Otherwise that list is doable, given the proper amount of time.
There are Outfitters in AH that can pull this off.

( I moved your thread and it should help get some offers heading your way.)

Last edited by a moderator:
We had 10 PG on our list and took the same 10 PG on our first safari. It can it can be done, but in hindsight, I would have rather stopped to smell the roses more and hunt at a more leisurely pace. I'd recommend at least a 2 week trip and (like @375Fox said) pick 4-5 primary species and then take what Africa gives you. We saw an AWESOME Impala that would have been easy to take but passed it up because we were stretched so thin. Shorter list with targets of opportunity is the way to go IMO.
Who did you hunt with may I ask?

Boddington's states in his book about planning a safari to figure 1 1/2 per animal (plains game). I have found that to be a pretty reliable formula. Based on that formula you would be good for 6-7 animals on a 10 day gun hunt.

I've learned that it is about 2 day per animal on bowhunting (plains game).

There are so many good operators in Africa that we are spoiled for choice. Still, it is not a supermarket, and a list of critters may need to be amended. Be flexible. Always allow for a "target of opportunity". Enjoy the planning, it is a big part of the fun......................FWB

I am planning my fourth safari right now. As others have already said the bush pig and hyena are more specialized hunts. Not sure if you can do all those in one trip.
I am considering Spotted Hyena on next years trip pending what my outfitter finds out.
All depends if a couple other animals I want can be taken in same location.

Good day sir,
Have you seen our AH group hunt for next year? The thread can be found here:
Please feel free to ask any questions.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Good day Sir

We will be able to assist you.

Please do send me a PM then we can discuss in detail.

Regards

Good Day 7MAG

We can put a package together for you with pleasure.

We have all the species you are looking for on one property ( no travel between areas ) in Limpopo except the Black Wildbeest.

I do agree with others on here that you look at 4 or 5 target species on a 7 day hunt and then add or change as you go along.The bush pig and Brown Hyena will most like be hunted in the evening over bait.Just keep in mind SA can export Brown Hyena with the correct permits but the US don't allow the importation of a Brown Hyena.

You are most welcome to contact.

Regards

Rouan

Good morning @7MAG ,

This is absolutely possible. It will definitely keep you busy however and you will have to be in country for at least a minimum of 9 full hunting days. That should give you a fair chance especially with regards to the night critters. We will send you a DM and we can possibly discuss it further from there? Bushpig is definitely one of our specialties!

Kind regards, and happy planning,
Dempsey Bayly & Michael Sippel

Who did you hunt with may I ask?
Blue Wildebeest, Oryx, Waterbuck, Kudu, Eland, Red Hartebeest, Blesbok, Zebra, Nyala and Sable.

I always make a long list, then prioritize it and know that the likely hood of getting all is slim. That’s hunting though and you will only make so many trips to Africa. Take what Africa gives you and enjoy the trip!!

7MAG
I would most certainly be able to accommodate you with your list of animals, we’ve also had good success with brown hyena in our north Limpopo area.
we would need a move of camp for the black wildebeest, but not a problem at all
Please feel free to send me an email info@spearsafaris.com and I’d put some more details on paper for you
Lion forward to hearing from you
Cheers
Ernest

We can definately help

Have good sucess with all those species every year

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross