WANTED: Plains Game Hunt South Africa March 2016

wzf0001

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, New Zealand, South Africa
Hello everyone, lately work has made organizing a hunt quite difficult and this request is not much better; however I am going to be in South Africa in March with a friend and would potentially like to stay an additional week and squeeze in a hunt. I've read plenty to know that March may not be the best hunting, it's short notice, and a pretty short hunt but I'm not sure I can come to SA and not try to hunt. Previously I have tried to plan a 2+ week trip but again work interfered so I am either going to have to hold out another year for that or at least try to fit in up to 5 days of hunting for a few animals like an introduction hunt in March. I would like input if you think this possible and or worth squeezing it in. Additional info:
- Hard Dates: March 7-12
- Animals: Kudu, plains game

Hi,

5 days will definitely be better than none... You are welcome to contact me regarding any of the deals I currently have running and we can make the necessary changes to fit your request.

Regards

PM sent

March will be fine for PG hunting in RSA.

PM Sent.

March will be just fine, I've hunted early April twice and always saw lots of critters. You just have to hunt a little harder with all the greenery. That time of year the animals will not have been pressured and so should be less skittish, so it sort of offsets the greenery/more difficult spotting. I'm guessing the kudu will be the most challenging... Think about taking a zebra, can be very challenging, but you'll get one. and a cool trophy no matter what you decide to do with it. Hell negotiate a deal and take two! Just be sure that your PH always has a plan to deal with the skins properly in the heat to prevent hair slip... We would take salt with and depending, we would often have a can (similar to an old cream can, with lid) full of water to mix salt in. And I don't know why, but I thought it was hilarious to be driving around with a monkey in a bucket.... Had a lid holding him down in there.

One more thing, and some of the outfitters will hate me for this and others will just go with it, might even find one or two who embrace it?... The exchange rate is extremely good right now and you should not have to pay anywhere close to the prices listed on most web sites.... And most outfitters are chomping at the bit to get going that time of year! It is a long time away from their prime time. Don't be afraid to negotiate! Chew them way down, then tip well;)

Some will be willing to negotiate and others will just quote the prices from their web site, I have been talking with five different outfits and their response generally has been good, one was substantially more this year than last.

Thanks everyone for the input; I've definitely been talked in to giving it a go assuming the price is right. I've been in touch with several of the outfitters and look forward to the continued conversations. Its always exciting. I've read as much as I can find on the topics below but if anyone has any additional input my ears are open. Thanks.

- Key differences in the SA provinces, different experiences? Particularly the usual Limpopo and Eastern Cape, even North West

- Pricing on Dip/Pack/Shipping to Southeast USA? Seems like this is across the board. What is a realistic figure for getting 3-6 trophies back to the USA?

- Input on fenced property size. At what point does the property feel too small? I understand SA may not always be quite as "wild" as some of the other countries but I prefer as close as I can get.

Where in SE US? I'm in Savannah Georgia. I'll send a PM, give me a call.

I did a six day hunt that I completed all of my hunting in 5 days, so I can promise you that you can have an awesome hunt in five days. I concentrated on fewer animals that were more iconic ... at least for me! I did one of the spiral horn slams with a, eastern cape kudu, nyala, and cape bushbuck. I had budgeted to add either an eland, blue wildebeest, or a kudu if time allowed and I decided to add the second kudu ... which turned out to be the perfect decision for me. I turned down 100 yard or less shots at trophy waterbuck, black and blue wildebeest, warthog, impala, brown duiker, and some others that I can't recall. I think you will not have any issues finding an outfitter to meet your needs. Here is my hunting report to give you an idea about the quality of a "short" safarai - http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ris-the-best-kudu-hunting-in-the-world.16423/

A safari is a lot like your first experience at love making ... even a short experience is enough to let you know you want to do it again :)!

Hi there
Just a couple of notes
The cost of having small shipments 3-6 animals , will run around $800.
Return time is around 6 months
South Africa might not be as wild as some other places on the continent but sure make up for it as far as variety and success is concerned. It still makes for a great hunting experience.
Ill gladly tailor a package for a short hunt, keeping in mind the current favourable exchange rate.
Regards Will
Symbol Safaris

I can comment some on the East Cape vs. Limpopo as I've hunted both twice. I would say Limpopo is generally more flat to gently rolling. With some exceptions, we did climb some rocks and as you get North Around Louis Trichardt it gets mountainous. In Limpopo, you are mostly limited to hunting. In the east Cape, if desired, there are lots of other things to do, more parks and touristy things, like Addo, Shamwari, Schotia... And you have the Coastal areas. The East Cape is much more varied. My observation is that in Limpopo you will mostly be hunting fenced properties, although I took my Klipspringer on mountaintop in Limpopo that was cattle fenced, but certainly nothing to keep klippies in. I always though of Limpopo as big.. But actually hunted much bigger areas in East Cape. The East Cape kudu are typically smaller, tend to be very beautifully colored though. The cape bushbuck is more black with more pronounced spots compared to the more simple brown Limpopo variety.

In general kudu should be cheaper in EC, bigger and more expensive in Limpopo. IMO EC is thicker and thornier, I thought most of Limpopo is more open, but in March both will be green. In the EC you will have more opportunities to get up hills/mountains (very small mountains) to glass down into things and across to opposite slopes. I love hunting Black wildebeest, and the EC is the place to do that. Limpopo for blue ones. Red hartebeest is a great trophy you can get in either place, impala and zebra should be in both. Sprinbuck in the Karroo is loads of fun! There are springbuck in Limpopo, but not like the karroo.. Or the best are in the Kalahari. Another great trophy in the Karroo (again, even better in the Kalahari) is Gemsbok.

Both are great hunting, if a big kudu is a high priority, hands down Limpopo. More varied ground and if you like hils and mountains, I would say the EC. You will see lots of critters in both. I really liked the Karroo the two times I was there... My second visit to the Karroo I had the arrival late afternoon, two days, and departure at noon... shot 9 critters and passed on several... And missed a klippie and Vaaly. But we hunted hard and all day with packed lunches, and had two tracker/skinners ;)

PM sent

Hi there
Just a couple of notes
The cost of having small shipments 3-6 animals , will run around $800.
Return time is around 6 months
South Africa might not be as wild as some other places on the continent but sure make up for it as far as variety and success is concerned. It still makes for a great hunting experience.
Ill gladly tailor a package for a short hunt, keeping in mind the current favourable exchange rate.
Regards Will
Symbol Safaris

No! Who says!

Thanks again to everyone for all of your input and PM's with advice. All of it was very helpful; Also a big thanks to all of the outfitters that have reached out and answered countless emails. I had a lot of great choices to choose between. At the end of the day, I was able to book a hunt that seemed to fit my needs the best. I will be hunting with Henry Griffiths Safaris in the Kalahari, an outfit that came highly recommended from a member here. Now that it is all settled I cant wait to experience my first African hunt. Will post a hunt report after the hunt.

Enjoy your hunting trip and we would like to see a hunting report please

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg