WANTED: Outfitter Recommendation South Africa

my family and I have hunted with Leib duran and INGWE safaris on two separate occasions and we are planning to go again.
Leib and his staff made us feel like family. the quality and quantity of game is second to none. give these guys a look and you will be impressed
i guarantee.

All, I appreciate the suggestions and will heed the sage advice provided.

I am curious about something I read a while back and it relates back to my original post/question...it concerned a lion hunt in Africa where the outfitter stated the lion hunted would be a captive bred/raised animal which would then be released to hunt. How much of this really takes place on "game farms or ranches" in Africa? and is this common with other African hunted species...ie plains game?
I mean no offense to those who hunt these animals, I just prefer to hunt game that is as free as possible and want to ensure the outfitter I book with is not pulling animals from the shed outback the am prior to my hunt.

Thanks much,
MPN...................I hope you get a lot of good information on your question about put-and-take lion hunting. After all, there is a great deal of misinformation floating about from animal rights activists.......idiots like PETA and Friends of Animals..........organizations bent on the complete destruction of animal populations under the guise of "helping"...better to clear the air here.........get good info................because one never knows when one of these fools will be watching our favorite website, or maybe even pretend to be a hunter. Can't be too careful...........FWB

I have been studying the whole lion hunting situation a bit... Sorry for the length of my rant on the subject but it gets my dander up.

I am admittedly not any kind of expert but rather just an ordinary guy who was curious about lion hunting and wanted to learn what I could. It seems to me there are really 3 major categories of lions with some overlap and variation within each. I offer this only as observation and rational assumptions.

1. There are lions in parks and zoos who will live their life being photographed and will likely always be fed whether actually hand fed or provided circumstances where they are sure to have easily caught game available. Of course those in the largest parks are the closest thing to truly wild lions, but they will likely always have some humans present and looking out for them at least on a pride basis so cannot truly be considered fully wild and independent. I am assuming that if the politics play out as expected and the anti hunters get their way... These will soon be the only lions left in the World. In the interest of "saving" the lion, they will soon ensure that all other lions are soon eliminated from the face of the Earth. That is assuming illegal poaching can be controlled within the parks, otherwise this population will be endangered as well.

2. Truly wild lions in the few wild places of Africa still left. It cost a LOT of money to hunt these lions. And this type of controlled hunting appears to be the only way this category of lion will survive more than a few short years. In the rapidly expanding human population of Africa, and the ensuing final encroachment into all areas of the continent, people will eventually take president over lions. As other game is replaced by livestock (especially without an economically viable hunting industry to support local economies)and lions kill livestock and people to survive, the local population will resort to poaching, retaliatory killing of them, and outright poisoning to eliminate entire prides. Of course a result of this will likely be the extinction of vultures and other scavengers... (Cape Vultures are apparently already very endangered but get little or no International attention).

With controlled hunting, problem cats not only can be removed efficiently, but a large amount of money comes with that that can go towards reimbursement for livestock and other local losses but it is also a boon to the local economies (as is all paid trophy hunting) thus providing incentive for tolerating local, controlled lion populations. Furthermore, hunting can provide pro-active control of potential problem cats, such as old males kicked out by the pride or replaced by a younger/stronger male.

3. Captive bred lions for commercial use, probably mostly for trophy hunting but potentially also to provide animals to repopulate where needed and to provide animals to zoos, etc. With a strong market, such as trophy hunting, this population my likely be the most stable and constant way to ensure lions will always exist. Effectively a reserve supply. However, without a market, I doubt many of these will remain. They will simply become to expensive to feed. If there is not a good market for them, how will the bills be paid?

Of course these operations get a bad rap from a few bad operators.... However, all the ones I have researched appear to have very high standards in their methods of managing the lions and conducting the hunts.

I would contend that if a person could try to envision themselves in a situation where your children, parents, brothers and sisters, spouse or best friend are walking down the road or sleeping in your bed, and are in real danger of being killed by a lion. (Or an Elephant) ... And even if your sole source of livelihood are a few head of cattle, sheep, goats, etc.... And lions (or other predators) are killing them... I would contend that most people would do what they could to protect their loved ones and their ability to feed them. Pretty easy for a bunch of people who don't know anything more than going to a supermarket or shopping mall for what they need to have opinions about hunting and preserving wildlife..... I suggest that they volunteer to get off the Planet to make room for everyone else and all the wildlife in their idealist view of how the World should be.

I have explained this to some of my non hunting acquaintances and after contemplating what I explained, they have all come around to seeing the need to hunt lions.

Hunted with Thwane Safaris in June 2013. Hunted 10 days and took 16 animals. Cape buffalo was huge.
Going back in 2015. First class

Consider a hunting safari to Africa - Namibia is definitely one of the greatest countries to go hunting.
If we can help you plan an unforgetable hunting safari in Africa - feel free to contact us.

I went in May 2014, with Jacques Spamer of Hartzview Safaris. It was awesome! I'd highly recommend him/them for anyone. I'd go back in heartbeat! Good luck, welcome to AH & holler if you have an questions!

Hello Africahunters....I am hoping to make my first hunting trip to SA in May 2015 or 16. I am now in need of your knowledge and experience and am hopeful you can recommend an outfitter(s) that will both suit my fair chase(if possible in SA) hunting preference and very comfortable (upper end) accommodations to satisfy my non-hunting city girl wife. If that isn't demanding, I would like to spend no more than 7-10k (not including airfare) for a 7-10 days safari taking 5-6 trophies...(Kudu, Oryx, Zebra, Warthog, Impala, and possibly Giraffe). I am not sure this is possible to have the best of both worlds with this budget, but thought if any group would know of such an outfitter(s), it would be here!

My wife and I just got back from hunting with Koos De Myer with Kuche Safaris. We had the time of our lives there and would recomend Kuche Safaries to anyone. The animals we hunted were fair chase and extremly wild which made for a great hunt. The two camps we stayed in were top notch as well. We shot a impala, baboon, oryx, blesbok, kudu, zebra, and two blu wildbeest. and the cost of the hunt could not be beat. We had such a great time we are planing on going back in 2016 if we can swing it. Check them out and best of luck

All, I appreciate the suggestions and will heed the sage advice provided.

I am curious about something I read a while back and it relates back to my original post/question...it concerned a lion hunt in Africa where the outfitter stated the lion hunted would be a captive bred/raised animal which would then be released to hunt. How much of this really takes place on "game farms or ranches" in Africa? and is this common with other African hunted species...ie plains game?
I mean no offense to those who hunt these animals, I just prefer to hunt game that is as free as possible and want to ensure the outfitter I book with is not pulling animals from the shed outback the am prior to my hunt.

Thanks much,

Game is sold at auction in southern Africa every year.

How long does the animal have to be free in a large enclosed property before you would be comfortable hunting it?

Most plains game is introduced onto a property in hopes that it will become a self sustaining population.
I am sure there are "put and take" operations that will allow you to shoot them in a Boma if you are so inclined.
Not for me.

I have actually had several outfitters tell me particular species are not available to hunt. They are not at a sustainable level or were just introduced recently. I appreciated the honesty and the goal they had for the proper development of the game management plan for the property.

Research your Outfitter properly.

Hello MPN, I have sent you a pm. Kevin

Thanks all for the great info. and insight on not only outfitters, but also the state of hunting in Africa. I had no idea about the auctions Brickburn, nor the "put and take" operations to keep any eye out for. Great advice all! I now have a great number of recommendations to look over/consider.
Nothing compares to spending quality time in the outdoors with loved ones and here at Africahunting.com I have found an honest group of like-minded individuals who are willing and eager to help get me and mine off to a great adventure!

Much Thanks!

Hello Africahunters....I am hoping to make my first hunting trip to SA in May 2015 or 16. I am now in need of your knowledge and experience and am hopeful you can recommend an outfitter(s) that will both suit my fair chase(if possible in SA) hunting preference and very comfortable (upper end) accommodations to satisfy my non-hunting city girl wife. If that isn't demanding, I would like to spend no more than 7-10k (not including airfare) for a 7-10 days safari taking 5-6 trophies...(Kudu, Oryx, Zebra, Warthog, Impala, and possibly Giraffe). I am not sure this is possible to have the best of both worlds with this budget, but thought if any group would know of such an outfitter(s), it would be here!

Take a look at John X Safaris (Carl Van Zyl). Almost all hunts in SA are high fence to one degree or another but Carl has some huge areas and is willing to hunt "on foot" rather than ride in a vehicle all day. I have hunted all over the world, and Carl is the most organized, detailed outfitter/PH I have ever hunted with. Great for non-hunters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,