WANTED: Nyala & Caracal Hunt

Dave Mann

Reaction score
Hi Guys - I'm looking for a 7 day trip for a Nyala & Caracal - the Caracal I want to take over a call or lamp - no hounds.
Don't mind roughing it - don't need a 5 star Lodge, bone China and a pool etc - will sleep in truck if that's whats we need to do !
Might suit one of the smaller operators better - don't really want extra animals - havn't got anywhere to hang them !
Just looking for good trip with plenty of walking and the chance at a nice Nyala for the front room wall.
Anyone able to offer me anything ?

Dave,

I hunted with @Game 4 Africa Safaris, a sponsor here on AH, last year and I think they can fix you up. They are located on the eastern cape of RSA.

When my daughter and I arrived at the lodge, as is the norm anywhere, you take the rifles to the nearby range and make sure you can hit the target. As we rounded the bend in the road and came upon the shooting bench, there was a nice trophy nyala bull standing about 10-12 yards from the bench. I commented that I think I can make this shot. The nyala ran off as we were getting out of the truck. We shot 3 different rifles, maybe 6 or 7 shots in all, get back to the truck and the Nyala reappears. We did not take it, but later in the week my daughter and I both took nice nyala and several other PG.

I did not hunt caracal, but I do know they offer them. I believe you hunt them in a different area.

All the best to you,
Dave
375 Ruger Fan.

Welcome aboard! Lots of outfitters on this site can help you out. Just check out all the websites of the current sponsors of AH

Reactions: BWH
Pm sent. We have no problem doing small safaris with a small list.

Welcome to AH sir. Looking for a caracal myself this year but can vouch for the very Nice Nyala with Pawprint

Welcome to the forum, @Dave Mann. We have excellent success on both, but since hounds are out for the Caracal, I will not throw my name into the hat for this one.
The chance at spotlighting one, or even calling one in, is not an easy feat, and I don't believe it will be fair towards you to lead you to believe that you will have a fair chance at a Caracal by either one of those two methods.
If I could recommend someone for your specific need, I would try and contact Scott Van Zyl from @SS Pro Safaris who is also a sponsor here. I speak under correction, but I am pretty sure they specialize in something like that on Caracal, and adding a Nyala will be a simple feat.

All the best in finding exactly what you are looking for. We look forward to a report with some nice photos.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Thanks Marius, much appreciated

Try Patrick Fletcher at Hotfire Safaris. I hunted with him last year. He is a great guy and hunting his place is challenging...lots of mountain valleys, hillsides, and so forth. He has plenty of nyala and will work his tail off for you.

IMG_0062.JPG
+1 for SS Pro Safaris

Welcome to the forum, @Dave Mann. We have excellent success on both, but since hounds are out for the Caracal, I will not throw my name into the hat for this one.
The chance at spotlighting one, or even calling one in, is not an easy feat, and I don't believe it will be fair towards you to lead you to believe that you will have a fair chance at a Caracal by either one of those two methods.
If I could recommend someone for your specific need, I would try and contact Scott Van Zyl from @SS Pro Safaris who is also a sponsor here. I speak under correction, but I am pretty sure they specialize in something like that on Caracal, and adding a Nyala will be a simple feat.

All the best in finding exactly what you are looking for. We look forward to a report with some nice photos.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Very stand up... now was there really a Caracal laying there sleeping???

Very stand up... now was there really a Caracal laying there sleeping???

Hahahaha Brad.....

Gentlemen, if the OP asked only for a Nyala then any one of the sponsors here on AH would be able to help him. Further more if he was happy hunting a Caracal with hounds ,I would feel confident of getting him what he wants, and I would have offered my services, but he specificially asked to spotlight or call a cat which narrows the operators down tremendously.

Hi Guys - I'm looking for a 7 day trip for a Nyala & Caracal - the Caracal I want to take over a call or lamp - no hounds.
Don't mind roughing it - don't need a 5 star Lodge, bone China and a pool etc - will sleep in truck if that's whats we need to do !
Might suit one of the smaller operators better - don't really want extra animals - havn't got anywhere to hang them !
Just looking for good trip with plenty of walking and the chance at a nice Nyala for the front room wall.
Anyone able to offer me anything ?
We can help out here, caracal always challenging but they are around in good numbers. late season is best. Nyala excellent.

Hi Dave
We have nyala here in the eastern cape and also 1-2 caracal . Here is a photo taken in January called in right here on the property by one of my Pro hunters .
IMG_9172.JPG

It's time consuming but they are out there and you will also get some opportunities at jackal .
If you're interested shoot me a message
Regards
Dave

Good luck on your "hunt" for an outfit. :)

Do you have a preference where you hunt? Example, the Nyala can be found all over RSA, but there are some MONSTERS in Kwazula Natal, where they are native to/endemic. It is a really cool area. I was there hunting Nyala in May of 16. Some really good dudes on here. The Caracal can be accommodate by many. A few guys specialize in the Night Critters.... like Honey badgers, civets, etc. Holler or PM me if you need or want any more intel.

Try Patrick Fletcher at Hotfire Safaris. I hunted with him last year. He is a great guy and hunting his place is challenging...lots of mountain valleys, hillsides, and so forth. He has plenty of nyala and will work his tail off for you.
I will wholeheartedly second this. The man works his tail off and his property is challenging. You HUNT at Hotfire, not shoot and collect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross