Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Touched by the hand of God
Hunted
USA, RSA , Canada
Hi All,
Been crazy being locked away. I am an outdoor writer working on my next book. I have been trying to do this for some time. I would like to do the first part with a bow. Also age is catching up with me so please note old legs. I can shoot well and cast a fly with the best of them.

warmest regards-Jerry

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

Sarg

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
I think he is after the Royal Macnab in South Africa as was offered by Bayly Sippel Safaris ?

Mt Reedbuck or Vaalie - Greywing Francolin (looks a bit like Grouse) & a Trout ?

Many Outfits offer a Macnab of some sort, I missed my bloody Ptarmigan in Greenland so was out of luck on Greenland Macnab of Muskox - Cod (Ice fishing) & Ptarmigan .

The outfit I worked for in NZ had the Big Three of Stag - Trout & Marlin that pulled a few for a while !

flatwater bill

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
By the heading alone, I thought that this was some sort of drink....offered by, say, The Raffles. Or The Kenya Club. By context I see that it is not. Is it then, simply taking a land critter, a bird and a fish? During how long a time frame? On one safari?. One day?.......best of luck getting the Royal McNab of your dreams........................FWB

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I love this post. Watching.

A McNab I believe traditionally was that you go shoot a deer/stag and a grouse/partridge, using those two components to make a fly to catch a trout/salmon. You have a single day.

On your marks, get set....

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
By the heading alone, I thought that this was some sort of drink....offered by, say, The Raffles. Or The Kenya Club. By context I see that it is not. Is it then, simply taking a land critter, a bird and a fish? During how long a time frame? On one safari?. One day?.......best of luck getting the Royal McNab of your dreams........................FWB
And here I thought it had something to do with @Royal27. Maybe it still does:A Yell:

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Update for humor:

I just did some perusing of the British sites and the origin was poaching a grouse, stag, and salmon from the estate on the same day. Upgrading it to a “Royal McNab” involved poaching the lord of the manor’s daughter as well. -Brits and their humor.

I guess it originated from a novel where three men wrote a letter to the lord of the manor informing him of their intention to poach him in this manner and the threesome signed the letter “John McNab”. One poached fish while the other two eluded the gamekeepers and so on.

It’s a funny story and a helluva claim to get feather, fur, and fin all in a 24 hour period!

Sarg

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
I also see there is a Macafrican: A brace of sandgrouse, an impala and a tigerfish in one day.

On a actual Macnab Challenge site they have many others, one Macvermin: An impressive rat, a chalkstream pike and a brace of magpies in the bag lol.

BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2020
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.baylysippelsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Hi All,
Been crazy being locked away. I am an outdoor writer working on my next book. I have been trying to do this for some time. I would like to do the first part with a bow. Also age is catching up with me so please note old legs. I can shoot well and cast a fly with the best of them.

warmest regards-Jerry
Hi @zenbear we believe we offer what you may be looking for? We will send you a message so long and hopefully we can arrange something for the near future?

Here is our post:

Kindest regards,
Dempsey Bayly & Michael Sippel

flatwater bill

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Rook..........I mentioned your research to a neighbor who is a recent (10years) immigrant from the UK. He is an avid sportsman, and he was familiar with the aforementioned challenge. He says that the "Royal McNab" does indeed entail 1. a stag, 2. a grouse, 3. a salmon, and 4. the Lord's daughter (or niece/wife). He says there is a Scottish version that substitutes a sheep for the stag............................FWB

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Rook..........I mentioned your research to a neighbor who is a recent (10years) immigrant from the UK. He is an avid sportsman, and he was familiar with the aforementioned challenge. He says that the "Royal McNab" does indeed entail 1. a stag, 2. a grouse, 3. a salmon, and 4. the Lord's daughter (or niece/wife). He says there is a Scottish version that substitutes a sheep for the stag............................FWB

Thanks @flatwater bill . In that case, outfitters, be advised that you can advertise a McNab on Africa Hunting but I believe you can only advertise a Royal McNab within the city limits of Las Vegas.

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru

BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2020
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.baylysippelsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
I think he is after the Royal Macnab in South Africa as was offered by Bayly Sippel Safaris ?

Mt Reedbuck or Vaalie - Greywing Francolin (looks a bit like Grouse) & a Trout ?

Many Outfits offer a Macnab of some sort, I missed my bloody Ptarmigan in Greenland so was out of luck on Greenland Macnab of Muskox - Cod (Ice fishing) & Ptarmigan .

The outfit I worked for in NZ had the Big Three of Stag - Trout & Marlin that pulled a few for a while !

Thanks for the recommendation @Sarg!

flatwater bill

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
All 6 Continents
I'm pretty sure he said "stag" but I don't hear too well anymore.......FWB

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Jerry I can definitely help you with this. You have a choice of a ton of different big game animals both free range or high fenced, fishing, and upland birds. Late October early November would be a great time as the bulk of the seasons are open but it generally hasn’t gotten cold enough to shut the fishing down. We have private lakes as well as a natural spring fed creek to fish in. For birds you can do wild quail or released pheasant, quail, or chukkar.
We can attempt it as a hunt for a trophy animal or a cull animal whichever you would like. I will have a bunch of mule deer doe tags which make for a very fun free range spot and stalk hunt with archery equipment.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
I’ve also got the ability to provide Red Deer Stag or hinds on this hunt. I would definitely recommend trying to get the red deer down on a morning before trying for the others for “record”. Of course if the red deer doesn’t happen one can always “practice” fishing and wing shooting the rest of the day until you can score on a red deer first thing on another morning

Alistair

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC
Hunted
Scotland, Ireland & England
Royal McNab, eh?

I quite fancy one of those as well.

Stag, Brace of grouse, salmon, laird's daughter.

I know of one estate where I might have an 'in' with the daughter, but I've always been crap at salmon fishing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikkiSettl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
I have been looking at an option for a 505, that doesn't break the bank (that concern my have to yield), and is more in the 50-110, or 50 Alaskan range. However not easy to find a case, other than the Weatherby, of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
Hello, do you have any information on your 505 SRE cartridge. Up here in Canada, there is talk about how the various 500s may exceed the 10 000 Joule limit recently imposed. Not that they do on paper, but you never know what they may infer or claim.
Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...

IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?