WANTED: Mountain Lion Hunt

brentrphillips

Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Russia, New Zealand, Australia, Mexico, Canada
I am interested in an honest outfitter that does not over promise and under deliver on a mountain lion hunt. I have had bad luck, poor guides, no dogs when i showed up or broken promises. Even when i book thru a booking agent the results were not acceptable. Appreciate any references. I have hunted for many years and hate wasting time or money. thanks

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada

dory

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Zealand . Namibia .
Good luck !

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Check out logan Anderson of 7 anchor outfitters in Arizona. Lots of cats, good dogs amd horses. I was successful in 3 days in March 2013

AaronN

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I am interested in an honest outfitter that does not over promise and under deliver on a mountain lion hunt. I have had bad luck, poor guides, no dogs when i showed up or broken promises. Even when i book thru a booking agent the results were not acceptable. Appreciate any references. I have hunted for many years and hate wasting time or money. thanks
I would urge you to contact me at globalhunts@aol.com / I have several very good options, all of which I have hunted myself.

Foxi

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
have looked now at 7 Anchor for Mountain Lion hunt.
Wow.Very cool website.
The image of Arizona here is : rattlesnakes and Apaches in the desert.
Never thought tha AZ is such a beautiful country.
It sounds good for hunting.
last selfie.JPG

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Cougar hunters seem to be doing well up here this year.
A bunch of the zones are closed now with complete quotas being taken. 39 males in the closed zones with about half the zones still open.

cmnhunt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Nothing
I just got back from Colorado on a lion hunt. I used Fred Wallace of Cat Track outfitters. He is totally devoted to getting lions. If you can hike and climb, you will get a lion.
Good Luck,
Chris

IMG_1199.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ActionBob

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
On my bucket list is to go with Brian Chorney, I believe he is running his dogs on Liard River Outfitter concession in British Columbia. You would likely get a lynx as well. I was in camp with Brian and his wife Claudette while they conducted a hound black bear hunt for for the Canadian TV guys with The Boneyard. I enjoyed all the company but especially appreciated Brian and his down to Earth can do attitude.

npm352

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
If you want the best shot at killing a cat, go where there is snow. The odds jump considerably.

brentrphillips

Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Thanks for the replies, i will look into your suggestions. I recently went with Smokey Canyon Outfitters (Ryan Merritt Owner) out of Star Valley Wy and I would not recommend them to anyone, don't waste your time or money. Some outfitters don't want to be in the business and it shows, suggest they just get out and save everyone frustration.

brentrphillips

Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
I just got back from Colorado on a lion hunt. I used Fred Wallace of Cat Track outfitters. He is totally devoted to getting lions. If you can hike and climb, you will get a lion.
Good Luck,
Chris

View attachment 170278

Chris,
Great cat!! Thanks for the information.

WesP

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, i will look into your suggestions. I recently went with Smokey Canyon Outfitters (Ryan Merritt Owner) out of Star Valley Wy and I would not recommend them to anyone, don't waste your time or money. Some outfitters don't want to be in the business and it shows, suggest they just get out and save everyone frustration.
Bad luck dude. I went with the same outfitter, Smokey Canyon Outfitters booked through Mat Cervantes at Outdoors International and I will never go back and hunt with them again or book through Outdoors International. Timing is great to tell your fellow hunters, all SCI chapter banquets as well as SCI are around the corner. Hunters need to warn their fellow hunters of fakes and problem outfitters. Good luck finding a good lion hunt in your future.

WP

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
Good Luck,
Chris

View attachment 170278

Nice cat! I'm hoping to track down a mountain lion in the next couple years, once I get back to the states.

Mike Leonard

Reaction score
I have hunted mountain lion for over 40 years and maintain an excellent pack of hounds to this day. Unfortunately due to my schedule I do not take client hunters at this time. I will tell you be very careful when someone says no trophy no pay. These are red flag words for those who know what I am talking about. I am not saying that this is the case with everyone that says this but it will get a Federal Agent looking over your shoulder quicker than you can say Jack Robinson!

Years ago in many states where cougar were considered non-game predators it was a common practice for some outfitters to either catch a lion alive by roping or later tranquilizer gun and to keep it in a cage until they had a paying client on the hook. then they would offer a guaranteed lion hunt no kill no pay. Well they would get the client in and tell him that their helpers had just found a red hot lion track in such and such a place so load you gun and let's go. A signal would be given and the helpers would release the lion just before the hunter and hounds got to a certain place and bingo the dogs would scream down the fresh spoor and catch it quick. Then the cash is paid and the hunter would leave happy but none the wiser that he had just taken part of what is know as a CANNED HUNT. Unfortunately this sort of thing still goes on today.

As recently as a couple of years ago a well known Colorado Outfitter was busted for this practice and believe as the hunter you are implicates along with the your guide.

True traditional lion hunting under fair chase conditions is wonderful sport all hunters that can should try it. If you catch a lion on fresh snow it can still be a very strenuous hunt although usually not demanding as much time or as much talent by the hunter and hounds as bare ground lion hunting that is usually done on horses or mules. Many guys that get a lion quickly in the snow never learn to truly appreciate the time and effort it takes to consistently catch lions on bare ground conditions.

I have several good friends who are very honest hard hunting family men who I can recommend if you would care to drop me a PM.

Also if you can get you hands on a book that was offered by Safari Press called LION TALES BY JONATHAN KIBLER , you will learn more in a couple of evenings by the fireside than you can imagine. Great read!

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
violeta2345

Latest profile posts

Rickmt wrote on Justbryan's profile.
What is your new shorter rifle? Thanx Bryan !
raamw wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Supply your address so I can get shipping Paypal Friend (no ) fee) is fine
Viral_SIGness wrote on Rifle57's profile.
Great person to deal with. Fast communication and quick shipper!
Sarg wrote on Philippe's profile.
Hello Philippe, did you get my PM that I sent you earlier ?

Regards Mark
raamw wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Can you advise me to properly post pix, sometimes I get it right sometimes not