www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
Wanted M-70 Winchester "Custom African Express .375 H&H. Not to be confused with the standard Safari Express. I will pay a fair cash price for the right rifle.

Tokoloshe

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with your search. The Custom African Express rifles are very difficult to find for sale. And when you find one, the owners command premium prices. Be sure to keep us all posted on your search and hopeful purchase!

Good luck with your search. The Custom African Express rifles are very difficult to find for sale. And when you find one, the owners command premium prices. Be sure to keep us all posted on your search and hopeful purchase!
Your correct on hard to find I have been looking for one for years. I know they command high prices in the area of $4,000.00, but you get what you pay for. I have seen a few in the last few years, but they have all been in .416 Remington definitely not what I am looking for.
Cheers, Tokoloshe

Your correct on hard to find I have been looking for one for years. I know they command high prices in the area of $4,000.00, but you get what you pay for. I have seen a few in the last few years, but they have all been in .416 Remington definitely not what I am looking for.
Cheers, Tokoloshe
I agree. One year they made them in .416 Rigby, although I have never seen one, if I ever do, will likely buy it on the spot. This is the only time in Winchester history (that I know of) that they made a rifle in the Rigby caliber. The last Custom African Express I saw for sale, the owner was asking $5900 for it I believe. Have no idea if he received that amount.

I know there was a M70 Lion model available on here a while back.

Don't know Winchesters so not sure if its a custom one like you are looking for.

Cheers,

I know there was a M70 Lion model available on here a while back.

Don't know Winchesters so not sure if its a custom one like you are looking for.

Cheers,
Not the same rifle. What you are referring to is a step down from the Custom African Express. Can't recall the name just now, but it is also a little more ornate and there were 5 or 6 calibers for 5 or 6 African game animals with gold fill engraving on the floor plate. Also there are a lot more of them around if someone wants to buy one!
If no one answers this in the next 5 hours or so, when I get home I'll post the model of the rifles you are referring to

Oh ok. Worth a try.

Cool. Learn something everyday.

Cheers.

Custom Safari Express Big 5 is it. A different calibre and engraving for each of the big 5.

wm_2765133.jpg

Attachments

• wm_2765133.jpg
    wm_2765133.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pic and old price list of the Custom African Express on my home computer but can't get to for a few more hours, for those interested.

@Roan, Here you go, As you can see prices are for 2006 and 2007. No gold fill engraving, all business!
416.jpg

Attachments

• 416.jpg
    416.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 186
Would love to own one, but finding one in the Rigby caliber is has been beyond my ability so far! Something that many guys on our forum complain about is magazine capacity. When these rifles were made, the mag held 4 rounds instead of 3, as most Winchesters do. As I mentioned earlier, the last one I saw for sale, the owner was asking $5900, I believe in .416 Rem.

Last edited:
Thanks @sierraone.

Pretty nice looking rifle that!

Hope you guys find one each!

Wanted M-70 Winchester "Custom African Express .375 H&H. Not to be confused with the standard Safari Express. I will pay a fair cash price for the right rifle.

Tokoloshe

All the best in finding the rifle you want.

Really love your moniker. Classic.(y)

Would really love to see an Avatar of a Tokoloshe.:sneaky::D

All the best.

I had one posted for sale here earlier this year (Custom African Express in 416 Rem Mag). I can tell you that I got my full asking price for the rifle with scope without any haggling if that helps for price ranging. Good luck on the search. I had looked for a 375 and a 458 in the Custom African for awhile and never made any headway. I found myself with two in .416 Rem Mag. I used one on a Dangerous Game hunt a few years ago so it is staying in the stable forever. I decided to sell my other earlier this year.

You would think that if Winchester offered rifles like that every year (in small quantities), they wouldn't have much trouble selling them. Economies of scale win out I guess.

You would think that if Winchester offered rifles like that every year (in small quantities), they wouldn't have much trouble selling them. Economies of scale win out I guess.
I believe that all of these rifles were built to order, LOP measurements and so forth were taken. I know for sure you had a choice of blue or stainless. But I agree, that if today they could build these rifles for $4500, they would receive all the orders they could handle. If these rifles are what they appear to be, current models might could give the Rigby Big Game a run for their money when you consider it would be less than half the price of the Rigby!

In any case I would love to own one in .416 Rigby and in .375 H&H.

Last edited:
The above rifle is the one that I am looking for, it is actually for my wife a Zimbabwe Learner P.H. As to your mention of the current Rigby, I own one (unfortunately) it is a totally unreliable firearm, I would not even sell it to someone who is hunting or might be hunting dangerous game. I also own a pre-war .416 Rigby Rigby/Mauser which is a slick and dependable rifle as could be made. If you ever compare the feed ramp between the two you will see why the new one does not function reliably, especially the last two rounds. I am still looking to buy the above rifle.

Tokoloshe

The above rifle is the one that I am looking for, it is actually for my wife a Zimbabwe Learner P.H. As to your mention of the current Rigby, I own one (unfortunately) it is a totally unreliable firearm, I would not even sell it to someone who is hunting or might be hunting dangerous game. I also own a pre-war .416 Rigby Rigby/Mauser which is a slick and dependable rifle as could be made. If you ever compare the feed ramp between the two you will see why the new one does not function reliably, especially the last two rounds. I am still looking to buy the above rifle.

Tokoloshe

hi any photos of your pre war .416 rigby and your .470 gibbs? we suckers for things like that :D also it says on your profile page you are 71 yrs so good to see you still hunting, and you must have a young trophy wife if she is a learner ph , nice :D Beers:

hi any photos of your pre war .416 rigby and your .470 gibbs? we suckers for things like that :D also it says on your profile page you are 71 yrs so good to see you still hunting, and you must have a young trophy wife if she is a learner ph , nice :D Beers:
Hi I am not into internet trivia. I will post a picture of the Gibbs & Original Rigby in the next week. I may also post a picture of the lack of a proper feed ramp on the current Rigby. If you were familiar with zimbabwes learners many are well into their 40s most do not qualify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg