Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Romania, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming)
Greetings,
I have "lurked" on this site for about two years and finally registered today.

I am looking to hunt South Africa in late March with my two daughters. I have extensive hunting experience in the western part of the United States. My oldest daughter (16) has taken two deer while my youngest (12) will go on her first big game hunt next week. Both daughters have taken multiple wild turkeys. They are new to hunting, but not brand new.

I am in contact with one outfitter that I likely will be going with, but I am willing to look elsewhere before committing. I would like to see what my options are so if any of you have suggestions, please let me know.

I would like to take a kudu and a black wildebeest. Neither have to be "book" animals but must be handsome heads. If one or the other is unavailable, I would consider something else.
My oldest daughter would like a zebra but is willing to consider other options. A cull is desirable as she has no intention of hanging the head. Just a photo.
My youngest daughter is highly flexible and will consider just about anything.

The remainder of our time we would like to tour the coastal area to see a lighthouse and possibly some wild penguins and any other coastal sights. We would like to spend another day touring a National Park or some other highlight.

So now I leave it to your suggestions!
I thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.
Randy

Welcome to AH

Have you considered, Namibia, Botswana or Zimbabwe in addition to South Africa.

Ther have been some great deals on safaris to These countries posted on the forum.

Welcome to AH

Have you considered, Namibia, Botswana or Zimbabwe in addition to South Africa.

Ther have been some great deals on safaris to These countries posted on the forum.

zambia seems to get left out, and i know we are in our early growth stage with private land hunting, but you can get some good deals on ranch/reserve hunts there. shavesgreen has a good one with a cull hunt with trophies if wanted.

We will consider all suggestions, any country. South Africa was the starting point of the search, but we will consider other countries.
Overall experience is what we are after.
Randy

If you are looking at Penguins and Lighthouses it sounds as though you should be having a view to visiting the Western Cape in RSA. Cape town.

Representative species is the goal. Any good outfitter should be able to pull that off.
Your species list is pretty short actually.

Eastern Cape Hunting: There are a host of outfitters. KMG is an AH member, Bowker is very well known.
Ferdi is down in that country as well.
Your target species will all be there.

Addo Elephant Park, Cape Point Park, etc.

Not that you can't hunt anywhere and fly down to the Cape for some touring and see the ocean, etc.

Good luck and Welcome to the AH crowd.

Welcome to the family HG feel free to ask any questions regarding any aspect of your safari, Some very experienced guys on here...

Taking time into consideration the cape province could be a good options try Joe Da Silva wife Nicole... great guy and located not to far from Cape Town has also been in the industry for many decades.

"Cape Town hunting safaris"

My best always

I have received a good number of Replies and PM's. I have concluded there are a number of damned fine operations to choose from. So much so, that I am considering adding some days to the trip to look at other outfits. Please continue the replies and PM's as I will look at them all!

Today in south-central Oregon is cold and clear. It is currently 27* F and the high will be 44*F. No significant snow yet and the grounds are clear. I will be taking the daughters shooting (.223, .243, and .308) and then they will help me train my dogs (I train retrievers as a hobby). If time permits, I hope to continue work on a rifle rebuild project. Currently I am restocking a Remington 700. Later I hope to rechamber to 280 Ackley Improved. Next weekend, I will be taking both girls on a black-tailed deer hunt about an hour out of town.

Cheers and Thanks again to all who have posted.
Randy

Hallo Randy
Welcome and enjoy the site. I did send you a pm.
Johan

Welcome Randy
Hope your search pans out well. You can make any safari you want with the correct planning. It's also half the fun! I would honestly suggest you have at least a semi-fixed over all cost that you feel confortable spending for the entire trip then plan your trip to stay within a reasonable variable of that price point. You can have an excellent experience from $12,000 all in to "the skys the limit". Doing otherwise will confuse you after a short time with all the options avaiable. Your time frame of next March is a little short but doable. If you can and have the time I highly recommend going to the Dallas Safari Club show the first week in January. You can find what you want there and book there also while talking face to face with the people you will be hunting with. There are also many very good outfitters right here on this forum and all of the members are willing to answer any and all questions you might have. Again, welcome.

I've got great outfitters with smoking deals in Botswana, Zambia, South Africa and Namibia. PM Sent.

Hi Randy,
my son and I went with KMG. great hunt.
I see your mention of animals desired. One thing I'd point out is that a lot of expense just getting there. Consider hunting/shooting more animals as the price to get there and go the 2nd time is high. There's a whole list of different animals at about $300 each. When you get home I will guarantee you will not say "I wish I had shot less animals". My son shot exactly what he planned. I, on the other hand, chose 4 animals and got 2 on the list, but decided to shoot a kudu instead of an impala and shot a Waterbuck that I hadn't planned to shoot. If I had it to do over, I'd have lengthened my trip a day or 2 and shot a couple more smaller animals. \
I'd suggest that each daughter gets to have a couple trophies to ship home. Most every place has cull shooting, females or broke-horns for half price. A couple trophies and a couple culls each would be a great hunt .
My wife and I plan to go as soon as we can financially do it. Our length of stay and list of animals will be longer than my son and I enjoyed. I plan on her shooting quite a lot.

Welcome and good luck. blessings.
Jerry

There are plenty of great outfitters on this site. I have hunted with Nic Roets with Madala Safaris in South Africa with my 10-year son and it was a wonderful experience. You can find him on the web at Madala Safaris. We hunted in the Limpopo Region, and there aren't lighthouses up there. But you may consider a flight to Cape Town and couple day tourist time there, before going to hunt. I have hunted Eastern Cape, but would take my children back to Limpopo for trophy qaulity.

First off welcome to AH.

As for the trip, enjoy the process of picking the outfitter. They will come to you and you will know the correct one to choose. It will just feel right. As for the animals, as others have said, be open. There will be animals you will not give a second thought to while planning the trip. When your boots are on the ground in Africa, things change! give yourself some flexibility. Have a buyer in mind. Maybe don't pic a 4th animal but leave the money on the table. Just in case your ph says holy s*@t!!!! That's the biggest _______ I have ever seen!!! I did not do this and lost a chance on a bushpig in braud daylight! I still kick myself about it every day! No matter what your choice it will be one of the best things you have ever done in your life. Then you will be selling almost everything you own just to go back!!

Good luck!!

Welcome to AH and this is the place for great folks to help you with your hunt, I am only a newbie with one trip but you will have a blast, I have to put in a word for Louis as he is a first class outfitter and runs a great safari. So check out Spiral Horns Safari and give Louis a call.

Welcome to AH :)

To me it sounds like the East Cape will be the perfect choice for you.
I am going there myself in the first half of July next year.

Thanks to everyone. I am spending quite a bit of time going through all my options.
Randy

Welcome to the forum, Randy !

Thanks to everyone for their help. I have tried to reply to all the PM's. If for some reason I missed one, I apologize.

It looks like I have found my outfitter (at the moment narrowed down to two). I am hanging on to all the other information received for a future trip.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katlyn74D

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,