WANTED: Looking For A Hunt In New Zealand

sc4R

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking for a great offer hunt in New Zealand, for the and of January 2018))
first of all interesting in himalayan tahr.
please PM or e-mail to me

I just got back and my outfitter doesn't hunt thar til later in year when coats are fuller...

A few years ago I hunted with Peter Chamberlain at Kiwi Wilderness Safaris and can highly recommend him. There was another report just recently of another member hunting with him. He has great prices and really knows what he is doing. You would have a great time with him. You might use the search function to get more info. Bruce

Hello,
I'm looking for a great offer hunt in New Zealand, for the and of January 2018))
first of all interesting in himalayan tahr.
please PM or e-mail to me
Dear sir, that is summer time in NZ and no one hunts tahr or really anything then. the outfitters are in the usa doing shows. If you want a really nice tarh it is all about the fur and the big poofy mane they get in may rut time it is what makes them beautiful and watching them display and poof up is awesome. that t is a south island species also. I would recommend Glen Dene Station my friend Richard Burdon is the owner it is huge station and has many hunting option including walking or heli hunting etc and all the other species. I shot the current #12 SCI tahr there. PM me if you want his contact info.

Like others have said I would not hunt then in January. But if I were to hunt them again I would go with Croc Adams the owner of Southern Mountain Adventures. Great guy and his cabin is right in the middle of great Tahr country. You could literally glass them from the cabin window.

Hope this helps

thx a lot
But unfortunately we have already bought the tickets to NZ, that's why I'm looking for something according to this dates.
Thats why I will still be looking for...
I'm not interested in heli o fenced area hunting

Contact Chris MaCarthy at Lake Hawea Hunting Safaris.

No helicopter then definately contact Jim gibson with nz safaris

I can recommend Kiwi Safaris, but am not sure if their season is limited. I went in June. (Fences don't seem to matter to tahr.)

I second Jim Gibson. Also, consider Wilderness Quest, Zion Pilgrim. He flies you into the mountains. Then you hunt from tented camps.

Without question Shane Quinn is one of the best. Alpine Hunting new Zealand. Everything is fist class all the way.

my family and i had a Great hunt with wilderness quest. Zion, James, and Josiah took real good care of us.
the tahr hunting was fantastic. they will treat you right.

Do a public land hunt for one and save yourself a lot of money.

how can I do this? I'm not resident of NZ and didn't have any information about it

You dont have to be a resident. You buy a tag and off you go onto the public land to hunt anything that is in season, you have a tag for and is legal.

There are no tags in NZ. You will need to get a temporary firearms licence from the police at the airport when you arrive cost is about NZ$25-50. Then you need to get a free hunting permit from the Department of Conservation and go hunting. A good area is Mt Cook village. I have seen and hunted tahr from the roads around there. You could camp in a few of the valleys or stay in Mt Cook village or there is a campground with cabins showers etc about 20k back down the road. Can't remember the name at the moment.
Also a few helicopters that could fly you to a few huts in the areas. The Murchison valley is popular for flying in to with helicopters.
Takes about 3 days to get a tahr. First day glass, glass and more glassing. They feed down in the late afternoon, stay low over nigh then climb back up in the morning. Once you've seen where they are coming down to climb up to there in the early afternoon. You usually won't get on to them in the morning as they will climb up faster than you can.

Can a guy pitch a tent on these public lands? Or is it better to rent a car and use a local hotel?
@stug, this is sounding like a very doable trip. How much might one estimate for a week of doing this, obviously not counting transport to and from?

You can pitch a tent pretty much wherever you want. There would be some areas around Mt Cook village where you couldn't but head up the hooker valley or Hoophorn stream and you could pitch a tent anywhere that was flat.
Cost is pretty minimal, a week hunting for me is only $100 or two for food depending on what you eat. Most places are free to camp. Huts are $5 to $5o a night but most are $10-$15. Some you have to book most are first in first served. The DoC site lists most of the huts.
topomap.co.nz has all of New Zealand as a topomap you can also overlay aerial photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg