Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA,SCI,Colorado rifle club,WHC
Hunted
USA (Colorado,Wyoming), Namibia, SA
Hello everyone,
A friend asked me to help them plan an Alaskan Caribou hunt and I'm asking my friends at AH to give me a hand. I'm looking for a recommended outfitter with reasonable prices and any other words of advice that come with hunting Alaskan.

Thanks everyone

Jcfam,

I have a very good outfitter that does caribou, I think he is full for this year, but I can check. Drop me a PM and I can email you some information over.

Are you looking for a guided , outfitted or drop hunt. Done several 'bou hunts up there but all drop off hunts. If you have specific questions fire away or send a PM.

I'm looking for a guided hunt, and it will most likely be next season.

Caribou nos. are way down so check carefully..I did 6 unguidedhunts,,3 were succesful,3 were not.One was bear..You might want to check Manitoba or some Canadian areas also..Western Arctic herd is about half of what it was and Mulchatna herd has season closed..I took 2 out of that one then it crashed..You would be wise to call biologists or game wardens in Ak. before booking a hunt for 'bou..Not saying don't go ,just check carefully before spending your money..Good luck

Just went to their web site, they don't list prices at all for caribou, but they do for all other game.. Strange

Caribou nos. are way down so check carefully..I did 6 unguidedhunts,,3 were succesful,3 were not.One was bear..You might want to check Manitoba or some Canadian areas also..Western Arctic herd is about half of what it was and Mulchatna herd has season closed..I took 2 out of that one then it crashed..You would be wise to call biologists or game wardens in Ak. before booking a hunt for 'bou..Not saying don't go ,just check carefully before spending your money..Good luck
You might also look at Kotzebue and Anchorage papers online as they sometimes have reports on caribou conditions..Herd conditions and routes they travel can change from yr to yr...They are very good to eat as long as not taken in rut,lol..

No man can know the ways of women or caribou.

Just checked with Alaska Wilderness Enterprise. They do offer them. You have to put in for a drawing deadline for 2016 is Dec 15 2015. They put one into the book last year.

I wish I had some great advice but alas, what I know about a caribou hunt couldn't fill a thimble sized encyclopedia. I have always wanted to do one of those hunts. My dad went several years ago to Canada and had a poor experience (outfitter not the place). I hate to hear that caribou #'s are down in AK. I always thought they were under every rock up there.

I recommend hooking up with James at HuntingAgent.com and working from there.
Since you are not an AK resident, depending on the area you hunt you will likely need to draw a tag. If that is the case then you need to have your outfitter in place ahead of time so you know what area's he hunts and which areas to apply for. If you just start applying for tags, depending on what area is drawn, you could end up with a very short list of outfitters. (Not all out fitters will hunt all areas, it's a big state)
Yes Caribou numbers are down but that does not mean that you won't or can't be successful. There are still lots of animals you will just need to be more patient and precise to be successful.
Again, find a good outfitter first and work forward from there. Not backwards after you have the tag. Just my 2c for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your help!

Hello everyone,
A friend asked me to help them plan an Alaskan Caribou hunt and I'm asking my friends at AH to give me a hand. I'm looking for a recommended outfitter with reasonable prices and any other words of advice that come with hunting Alaskan.

Thanks everyone
Thanks everyone for your help!
Feel free to give me a call at 973-885-2228. I may be able to help you. Derek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!