Wanted Holland & Holland Quick Detachable Mounts

Andrew Hunting

Reaction score
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, Scotland, US.
Hi, does anyone have a spare set of Holland & Holland quick detachable mounts for sale? I am looking for one.

I may be wrong but if they are the ones I have in mind they are individually made. A friend of mine wanted a spare pair for a rifle. H&H’s price was eye watering to say the least.
However a retired precision engineer was tracked down and approached to make a set. He did and they are indistinguishable from genuine mounts. The price was also considerably less ! Still it wasn’t cheap and ran to 4 figures.

Andrew, welcome to the AH forum! Best of luck finding the mounts!

I may be wrong but if they are the ones I have in mind they are individually made. A friend of mine wanted a spare pair for a rifle. H&H’s price was eye watering to say the least.
However a retired precision engineer was tracked down and approached to make a set. He did and they are indistinguishable from genuine mounts. The price was also considerably less ! Still it wasn’t cheap and ran to 4 figures.

Thanks, yes, it is looking like I will have to get them made up.

I reached out to Rigby UK and asked them about this mount style. This would be a rear double claw that is static and an offset front left single claw that is dynamic. If this is the type you're thinking about, they are made on occasion for the trade in the UK and in Germany. The price in the trade to a gunsmith is about $700. Fitting and installation will typically run $1000-$1500. Hence, when you hand a gunsmith a rifle and say "make it so" with the inclusion of sourcing the materials, measuring correctly for exactly what is needed, and adding in risk/profit they typically the job costs $3000-$3500.

I would add, that if you do not own a Holland you don't want to pay for the Holland mount premium as its not superior, and you'll be docked value for letting non-Holland gunsmiths tinker with the gun. Same for the Rigby mount that is very similar, unless you have an incredibly unique one-off installation. (e.g. a takedown Westley Richards Mauser with sights/stock so low you cannot install anything else while retaining original function of the gun as built...my situation)

If you share what make/model/custom rifle you're trying to get mounts for, we might have a less expensive best-quality installation alternative to recommend that's faster/cheaper/better.

Thanks @rookhawk for your thoughtful and comprehensive reply.

The mount I am chasing does not have a rear double claw, although I have seen that style on other rifles.

The mount is by H&H for an H&H magazine rifle. Photos attached show;
1. the locking lever on the rifle,
2. the mount itself, which is a single fore and aft locking lug integrated into scope rings, which are joined by a rod, and
3. the scope mounted to rifle, for context.

Your price estimate from previous discussions with Rigby will be a useful guide. We are in Oz, so between restrictive firearms laws and Wuhan Flu logistics bureacracy, getting the rifle to H&H in UK may be a palaver. I do not know that H&H have an Australian rep, unlike your siutation in the US.

Alternative I may have to either delay the project until we can travel again, or find a reputable local engineering firm.

I shall see what can be done.

Thanks again.

H H quick release scope mount lock.jpg
H H quick release scope mount.jpg
H H scope mounted.jpg
H H quick release scope mount lock.jpg
H H quick release scope mount.jpg
H H scope mounted.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you share what make/model/custom rifle you're trying to get mounts for, we might have a less expensive best-quality installation alternative to recommend that's faster/cheaper/better.

post script!

Apologies, @rookhawk , I didn't answer your question. The rifle (photo in previous quote) is a Holland & Holland takedown rifle in 375H&H Mag. Has Zeiss Diatal C 4x32 attached.

I am rather fond of the Zeiss fixed power, using same on a number of other rifles, and I use it in most circumstances, or open sights. However, I want an illuminated reticle scope for some condistions I encounter, hence looking for the second mount.

Alternate suggestions for sourcing would be appreciated.

Nice rifle! Yes, you need exactly what you asked for initially. You can get Holland to to supply you with a Holland “side claw mount” rings in the white. The challenge is three fold:

1.) getting them to supply the rings.

2.) knowing EXACTLY what to order for height for the new optic.

3.) Getting someone in Oz that can fit the claw rings properly which is quite a chore.

Adding to the conundrum, you must decide if you want to remain original, or do you want it unoriginal but “proper”. The new optic should probably be mounted lower, but to do so you need to replace the flag safety with a side safety. It is reversible of course, but that’s another expense in the journey.

Cheapest alternative is to discard the scope you have and find that one scope that has the features you want, yet will fit the existing mount. That may or may not exist. In the end, you have only one working scope also.

but to do so you need to replace the flag safety with a side safety

Thanks!

I'll email H&H and await their response, but not hold my breath! My previous email has gone unanswered, which is why I sought knowledge from this forum. If they do reply, they may know a gunsmith in Oz who can do the fitting.

re safety, the rifle has side safety as well as flag. Configured by H&H that way at build. So one cost averted!
H H side and flag safety.jpg

Reactions: WAB
You should have no problem with a response from Holland & Holland. Who are you corresponding with there?

You should have no problem with a response from Holland & Holland. Who are you corresponding with there?

Hi @WAB , I am using H&H's online contact, through their website. gunroomuk@hollandandholland.com No personal contact provided, simply that generic enquiry email. Have emailed twice over the last three weeks. Perhaps they are not monitoring the address during Wuhan Flu lockdown. Will try again.

I’ll ask a friend over there if there is a better contact to use.

Hi Sika98,

We have a .416 Rigby made by Holland & Holland that needs the scope rings. They went missing in camp some years back and since not every client fancies shooting with open sights, we've to get new rings for the rifle.

Is it possible to put me in touch with the precision engineer to have the rings made? Any help will be much appreciated!

Best,

Mubarak

It would be cheaper to either buy a new Holland rifle or to sell your current rifle as-is. The cost of getting the rings made and fitted, plus import/export of your rifle to England, will be nearing what your gun is worth.

H&H wants around $5000-$6000 for replacement of the rings lost at camp.

I went down this road on a rifle 6-7k from H&H. JJ in Oklahoma will make a set for about 3k.

Hi Sika98,

We have a .416 Rigby made by Holland & Holland that needs the scope rings. They went missing in camp some years back and since not every client fancies shooting with open sights, we've to get new rings for the rifle.

Is it possible to put me in touch with the precision engineer to have the rings made? Any help will be much appreciated!

Best,

Mubarak
I will make enquiries. It was a couple of years ago. As @rookhawk advises the cost of shipping the rifle backwards and forwards, cost of the rings etc maybe fairly prohibitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you