WANTED: Graduation Safari?

Thank you all for the kind offers, posts, emails and pm's. I definitely wasn't easy trying to decide from all of the great outfitters. I am extremely excited to say that my daughter and I will be hinting with KMG Safaris in June of 2017! Now for the fun of planning and anxiety of waiting.

Thank you all for the kind offers, posts, emails and pm's. I definitely wasn't easy trying to decide from all of the great outfitters. I am extremely excited to say that my daughter and I will be hinting with KMG Safaris in June of 2017! Now for the fun of planning and anxiety of waiting.
Wise choice! (y)

7mm-08 is a fine. I have one for my kids, we had it in Africa last year had no problems. Zebra, waterbuck and smaller it worked great. Here at home 3 moose, 3 bears, stone sheep, mountain goat and deer. The kids have done well with that gun.
What loads do you use for all of these? I've a 7mm-08 on it's way up to Alaska right now (finding a lefty here is impossible) for caribou and sheep and it could possibly go with me in a few back to southern Africa.

I have been using 140gr partition for NA, when we went to Africa I switched to 140gr accubond. The kid never had a problem. Most were one shot unless they got excited, my son's goat was a reload and my daughters sheep got a warning shot. There moose and bears were all one shot. The gun has been great for the kids

Thanks. Looking over data and reading into things the 140's seem to win. I was thinking of possibly the 150 Scirocco or Barnes TTSX.
I agree, calm animals drop a lot quicker.

Shot placement is the most important. The 150 Scirocco works very well in my 7x57 ruger #1. Enjoy the trip, time with your children is priceless and they will remember every second. Waiting for my grand children to get old enough for us to take them.

While my request was a bit of a tangent thanks for all the info. Plenty of good data on the 7mm-08 out there, but it's good to hear what was actually used on stout animals like zebra. Since I'm currently partial to Barnes I'm glad I reload with their Vor-Tx ammo for this being a bit light IMO at 120 grain. The 140 or 150 should be very effective.
Good hunting.

You will do well with Marius. I took two daughters with me to KMG a few years ago. He did a good job. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh... if you dont want to take a gun, he has a .308 that we shot all our game with. I enjoyed shooting it.

Ok, less than a year to go. I don't reload, but she had been shooting Double tap 140 grain TT Xs very well until about a month ago, when she decided she needed a .30-06. I told her that her .7mm-08 was a great rifle and she didn't need anything else, but really, what kind of father can say "no" when baby wants a bigger gun? So now she's practicing with her new Savage Trophy Hunter . She shoots well, no flinch and doesn't even notice any recoil difference. Right now looking at Barnes Vortex 180 gr. for her . 30-06 and 150 gr. For my .308.
Also, my other daughter (25) has agreed to join us as observer/cameraman!
Now we are at the practice shooting, hiking stage. Soon will come the flights rifle permits/ logistics stage.
It's way too early to be this exited, gonna be a looking wait!

Make sure to have her practice shooting from sticks. There are some that have troubles with making the adjustment. A few times practicing will help.

A photo of my oldest daughter's impala. Youngest daughter and I stepped in for the photo.

Randee's Impala Family Photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention the impala was with Marius at KMG Safaris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!