Wanted Good Used .470 Double Rifle

Looking for a good used .470 NE double rifle. Would like to stick to Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym - I am on a budget of 10-12k which I doubt will afford me any fancy engravings.
I have a Merkel 470NE. probably a 140-1? has pretty nice engravings, not the extravagant hunting scenes like you see on some. Not a scratch on it, If interested, let me know. looking to sell.

merkel-1.jpg
merkel-2.jpg
merkel-3.jpg
merkel-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This was Jan 2021.....I believe he has found one by now...

Last edited:
When I bought my K gun I looked at used and only found rifles with extractors not ejectors. It will take some time but you will find one. DSC’s monthly has classifieds that include some great rifles like you are looking for.
It is an easy fix to disengage the ejectors.

anyone know what it's worth? or where's a good place to go to find out? i tried Merkel USA but they went out of business a while ago. I think the one Beck was looking at back in '19 was the exact same model i have. it had the same engravings anyway.

anyone know what it's worth? or where's a good place to go to find out? i tried Merkel USA but they went out of business a while ago. I think the one Beck was looking at back in '19 was the exact same model i have. it had the same engravings anyway.
You can contact George Caswell with Champlin Firearms in Enid, Oklahoma. Champlin is a well established and respected purveyor of double guns. They take guns on consignment.

1677589651087.png

I may be putting my heym best grade 470 up for sale, simply because I have the next couple years planned for hunts that don't require it. I hadn't really thought of putting it up on AH because it seems most are looking for economy models (nothing wrong with that by the way).

Anyway, its in today's dollars probably about a $60k Heym and 4 year process to get it replaced from Heym once they start taking custom orders again. Still mulling what the best approach to offering it for sale will be, but with all the ammo and accessories it would definitely be north of $30k private party sale.

I may be putting my heym best grade 470 up for sale, simply because I have the next couple years planned for hunts that don't require it. I hadn't really thought of putting it up on AH because it seems most are looking for economy models (nothing wrong with that by the way).
Please do share with us! One never knows who others may be... :)

Please do share with us! One never knows who others may be... :)

Well, while I figure out my plans, here's some photos. The engraver, Andreas Scholz is the same master that did @VertigoBE 's Heym he bought in London. Mine has a big-5 motif. Lion underneath, buffalo on the left, rhino on the right, elephant for the top lever.

IMG_1389 4.jpg

IMG_1396 2.jpg

IMG_1397 2.jpg

The top lever is "over the top"!

I recently had a lengthy phone conversation with a dealer who has had a very nice pre-WWI Westley Richards boxlock in 470 offered for sale on GI at what seemed to me to be forever. His asking price was and still is at just under $20k USD, which I think is about right, maybe a tad high. My interest was not in purchasing the rifle, but rather because I own a nearly identical rifle and was curious. His opinion was that there are so many choices in that price range and under from the continental makers that unless someone was into classics and perhaps nostalgia, they are probably going that route. My WR was built in 1914 and was made as a part of group sold to J. Lyon & Co. Ltd London (per a factory letter). I have owned several different European/Continental doubles but there is just something about the vintage Westley that stands out.

The top lever is "over the top"!

Twenty years ago, that top lever was a $2400 option! That's why you don't see them too often. It's surprisingly comfortable, but its unique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mchahine

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,