Lrntolive

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
I have an old Winchester 1200 Semi that is in great shape, but the barrel is a fixed choke full.

Can anyone on AH recommend a gunsmith that can alter the barrel to use removable chokes? Or, does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement barrel with removable chokes?

Thanks!

Reactions: ack
Poking around on Gunbroker, you may well be able to buy a complete 1200 for less than altering your barrel.

Not in CO, but Briley in TX does it. You just ship the barrel to them. Briley.com I think.
You might also try the school of gunsmithing either in Denver, or Trinidad which ever you are closest to.

I shoot everything with a full choke. Unless your willing to risk the gun or get briley thin walls I'd say leave it be and take it to shoot a lot of clays you'll get used to the full after a while I prefer it.

Thriller, I am just the opposite. Even with choke tubes I almost always use an improved cylinder. That said my heavy 12 gauge AYA #2 has improved and modified, while my light Arietta 20 gauge is choked cylinder and skeet #1. Obviously I just upland bird hunt behind my GSP.
I guess if I started duck hunting again a tighter choke might be needed, or for turkey a full or extra full would be needed.

Maybe you should save the Winny 1200 for ducks and turkeys?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I haven't found another 1200 in as good a condition as the one I have. I've only been using is for sporting clays, but I'd like to be able to switch up and use different chokes. I love the gun as the stock is all wood without a scratch on it. It shoots well, feels great and I bust clays well, but I could always do better.

Rich Riley in Co.Springs-High Tech Customs--719- 667-1090..He's pretty good did muzzle breaks n stocks for me..Check website...good luck

@Ridgewalker i shoot quail with a full choke 410 and doves with a double full over under 16. Its one of those things where you either miss or they are stone dead not too many cripples with that setup, but it's not for everyone.

Lrntoliv, check your numbers again, I'm pretty sure a 1200 is a pump, the semi is a 1400. It may not make any difference and they may possibly use the same barrels.

Being gas operated Semi-Auto, the 1400 should have a gas port in the barrel that the 1200 Pump won't have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.