Lifetime bronze benefactor
Platinum supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Where can you hunt Giant Eland please? What are the best outfitters for this please? To be clear I am looking for Giant Eland

thanks!

Lord Derby eland are only huntable in Cameroon. You can google search and most of the top outfitters will show up in the first 2 pages of results. The hunt will run $50k+ all in, not including other trophies.

I was just there in January. I booked with The Hunting Consortium. I also suggest you check out @Spear Safaris for this hunt. It is the hardest hunt in Africa by most accounts and I tend to agree.
This hunt takes some planning and homework but is true adventure.
Philip

Rare Breed, thank you for participating on the forum. As Phillip say I can help in Cameroon with the Giant Eland. Please feel free to send me a email on info@spearsafaris.com and I will gladly send you more details.
Look forward to hearing from you. Ernest

The 12 day Eland hunt with us runs 24 520 Euro, + trophy fee of 5200 Euro. Makes a total of 29 720.00. Depending on the exchange rates it comes to around $32 000 all in.
Other costs would be travel, visas, Gun permit, Hotels before and after and additional trophies taken.
Cheers Ernest

Where can you hunt Giant Eland please? What are the best outfitters for this please? To be clear I am looking for Giant Eland

thanks!

When you say Giant Eland are you referring to Lord Derby Eland as some are guessing here? Or a large common Eland? If Lord Derby, Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS has an area in Cameroon that is very lightly hunted. If the common variety, he also has various places in RSA and Namibia he can take you.

If you are looking for a very large common eland. I have not seen larger body eland than the caprivi strip in Namibia. These were with @Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris there.
To clarify my previous post on lord derby eland, I call “all in” the cost from getting me there to getting my trophies home, others have a different definition.

D24FB6C0-677B-4536-B09E-9BB2786AEEEB.jpeg
E3756FB9-DBBC-4956-BDE0-6E44232AC0F9.jpeg
D4657E38-528C-4FB9-ADF7-172F08DA6F8A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Giant Eland.....a new subspecies ?

Giant Eland.....a new subspecies ?
No the Giant Eland (Taurotragus derbianus) is also known as the Lord Derby Eland.

From Wikipedia:
The scientific name of the giant eland is Taurotragus derbianus, derived from three words: tauros, tragos, and derbianus. Tauros is Greek for a bull or bullock.[3][4] Tragos is Greek for a male goat, and refers to the tuft of hair that grows in the eland's ear which resembles a goat's beard.[5]

The giant eland is also called "Lord Derby's eland" in honour of Edward Smith-Stanley, 13th Earl of Derby. It was due to his efforts that the giant eland was first introduced to England between 1835 and 1851. Lord Derby sent botanist Joseph Burke to collect animals, either alive or dead, from South Africa for his museum and menagerie. The first elands introduced in England were a pair of common elands, and what would later be identified as a giant eland bull.[6] The details were recorded in Smith-Stanley's privately printed work, Gleanings from the Menagerie at Knowsley Hall.[7] The Latin name indicates that it "belonged to" (given by the suffix -anus) Derby, hence derbianus.[8]

Although the giant eland is somewhat larger than the common eland, the epithet 'giant' actually refers to its large horns.[8][9] The name 'eland' is Dutch for "elk" or "moose". It has a Baltic source similar to the Lithuanian élnis, which means "deer". It was borrowed earlier as ellan (French) in the 1610s or elend (German).[10][11][12]

thanks!
OMUTATI Safaris in Namibia has big Eland.
I can send a pic of mine if you would like

To address some of the questions about, the "Livingstone Eland" of Southern Africa can get big in certain areas, quite huge if you look for the right habitat. Obviously, a much less expensive hunt than the "Lord Derby Eland" which I believe is two subspecies found in Central to Northern Africa including Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, etc..

I shot an eland last year, and it was a giant. But it was not a Giant Eland. Interestingly, a taxidermist friend tells me that the LDE is not the biggest eland body-wise. Your question really asks only Where? And that of course is Cameroon.......best of luck.....FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg