WANTED: Giant Eland Hunt

Rare Breed

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Where can you hunt Giant Eland please? What are the best outfitters for this please? To be clear I am looking for Giant Eland

thanks!

375Fox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
Lord Derby eland are only huntable in Cameroon. You can google search and most of the top outfitters will show up in the first 2 pages of results. The hunt will run $50k+ all in, not including other trophies.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I was just there in January. I booked with The Hunting Consortium. I also suggest you check out @Spear Safaris for this hunt. It is the hardest hunt in Africa by most accounts and I tend to agree.
This hunt takes some planning and homework but is true adventure.
Philip

Spear Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.spearsafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI life member, PHASA life member
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines
Rare Breed, thank you for participating on the forum. As Phillip say I can help in Cameroon with the Giant Eland. Please feel free to send me a email on info@spearsafaris.com and I will gladly send you more details.
Look forward to hearing from you. Ernest

Spear Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.spearsafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI life member, PHASA life member
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines
The 12 day Eland hunt with us runs 24 520 Euro, + trophy fee of 5200 Euro. Makes a total of 29 720.00. Depending on the exchange rates it comes to around $32 000 all in.
Other costs would be travel, visas, Gun permit, Hotels before and after and additional trophies taken.
Cheers Ernest

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Where can you hunt Giant Eland please? What are the best outfitters for this please? To be clear I am looking for Giant Eland

thanks!

When you say Giant Eland are you referring to Lord Derby Eland as some are guessing here? Or a large common Eland? If Lord Derby, Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS has an area in Cameroon that is very lightly hunted. If the common variety, he also has various places in RSA and Namibia he can take you.

375Fox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
If you are looking for a very large common eland. I have not seen larger body eland than the caprivi strip in Namibia. These were with @Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris there.
To clarify my previous post on lord derby eland, I call “all in” the cost from getting me there to getting my trophies home, others have a different definition.

D24FB6C0-677B-4536-B09E-9BB2786AEEEB.jpeg
E3756FB9-DBBC-4956-BDE0-6E44232AC0F9.jpeg
D4657E38-528C-4FB9-ADF7-172F08DA6F8A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Giant Eland.....a new subspecies ?

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Giant Eland.....a new subspecies ?
No the Giant Eland (Taurotragus derbianus) is also known as the Lord Derby Eland.

From Wikipedia:
The scientific name of the giant eland is Taurotragus derbianus, derived from three words: tauros, tragos, and derbianus. Tauros is Greek for a bull or bullock.[3][4] Tragos is Greek for a male goat, and refers to the tuft of hair that grows in the eland's ear which resembles a goat's beard.[5]

The giant eland is also called "Lord Derby's eland" in honour of Edward Smith-Stanley, 13th Earl of Derby. It was due to his efforts that the giant eland was first introduced to England between 1835 and 1851. Lord Derby sent botanist Joseph Burke to collect animals, either alive or dead, from South Africa for his museum and menagerie. The first elands introduced in England were a pair of common elands, and what would later be identified as a giant eland bull.[6] The details were recorded in Smith-Stanley's privately printed work, Gleanings from the Menagerie at Knowsley Hall.[7] The Latin name indicates that it "belonged to" (given by the suffix -anus) Derby, hence derbianus.[8]

Although the giant eland is somewhat larger than the common eland, the epithet 'giant' actually refers to its large horns.[8][9] The name 'eland' is Dutch for "elk" or "moose". It has a Baltic source similar to the Lithuanian élnis, which means "deer". It was borrowed earlier as ellan (French) in the 1610s or elend (German).[10][11][12]

Bigsteere

Reaction score

thanks!
OMUTATI Safaris in Namibia has big Eland.
I can send a pic of mine if you would like

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
To address some of the questions about, the "Livingstone Eland" of Southern Africa can get big in certain areas, quite huge if you look for the right habitat. Obviously, a much less expensive hunt than the "Lord Derby Eland" which I believe is two subspecies found in Central to Northern Africa including Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, etc..

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
I shot an eland last year, and it was a giant. But it was not a Giant Eland. Interestingly, a taxidermist friend tells me that the LDE is not the biggest eland body-wise. Your question really asks only Where? And that of course is Cameroon.......best of luck.....FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KassieGrea

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J