WANTED: Elephant Hunt For 2023

Jerycmeach

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Discovering AH has changed my life! I am an outfitter in the U.S. guiding in Alaska and Kansas. I never dreamed I would go to Africa but when the COVID shutdown shuttered my Alaska business I had the chance to cross the pond!
My first trip was august of 2021. I went to Botswana and had the time of my life! I took a big leopard with hounds and there was tons of excitement that went along with my first Africa hunting adventure!
Motivated by a desire to participate in a wild lion hunt and do research on how hunting funds conservation in wild Africa I booked a 21 day, full bag safari in the Rungwa region of Tanzania. It was spectacular! I took lots of plains game, two dugga boys, an old grumpy leopard, and a lion that was the perfect lion to be taken! God has sure blessed me and I am so thankful!
All this was made possible by a gentleman who is a member of AH and very active on this site! He befriended me and helped me find these opportunities and asked nothing in return! What a wonderful human being! I will write all this up in a hunt report in the future. I am ashamed to say as an owner operator of my hunting operation I just don’t have the time now to do the report justice and won’t until after my hunting season.

If you would like to message me on ideas for a quality, traditional tracking style, elephant hunt for 2023 I would be interested in hearing from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
4dfe8d43-eb57-43db-b8ab-8a7c48996b5a-jpeg.498759

Attachments

• 4DFE8D43-EB57-43DB-B8AB-8A7C48996B5A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 645
Sounds like your first two hunts were amazing! Great Lion and thank you for sharing! You will definitely enjoy tracking an elephant. Pointing you in the right direction, it might be helpful if you had or added any size expectations for your hunt. Hope you are having a good season!

Thanks for asking about what I was thinking about for size! I am so new at this I am learning every day! At first I thought a non trophy hint would be perfect for me. But then I learned it was never to be eligible for import and that the PH literally chooses the elephant for you to take! This was told to me by a Namibia operator and maybe it is not the same in all countries. Bit with this description of a “non-trophy” elephant hunt I would not be interested in that.

I have inquired for some trophy hunt units where the expectation is 60 pounds and there is an outside chance for 70 or 80 pounds. I have ran into several operators that cannot give me an answer because the quota has not been tendered as of yet. Forgive me if I am misspelling tendered. I obviously mean the concession quota is up for bid and no one knows as of yet if they will win the bid.

I had almost decided on ZImm from a price point decision willing to go for a expectation of 50 pound with a chance of something larger but then you keep hearing, well! It’s not Botswana! I suppose they are saying that you see so many more elephants in Botswana and I suppose the experience is much more satisfying? I don’t know. All this is new to me.
But to answer your question I suppose I am looking for a traditional style tracking hunt, preferably with natural water occurring in the area, a very wild area with limited villages and ranch and farming going on and a lot of elephants. Hopefully with a 50 pound bull as a certainty and maybe something bigger. I think that is what I am looking for. Also I would like to hunt between May and early September.
thanks foe your help in pointing me to the right area and operator.

Hi @Jerycmeach

I've send you a DM

Sincerely
Dieter

Howdy, from a native Kansan... who has been in Alaska most of his adult life. What part of AK do you guide in? I'm in Dillingham.

With those expectations book a elephant hunt in Botswana
Exactly. There are a couple of outfits that specialize in big tuskers in Botswana from what I hear there should be an announcement or a hunt report here. In Zimbabwe I think CMS has ONE 15 day hunt left in an area for 2023 where they have been averaging 60+ lbs ( i have the other permit that was available) last several years. But those hunts are in October though the area does not get as hot as valleys, averaged mid 90s this year in the area in October, whereas I hit 114F in Nyakasanga this year in August.

Last edited:
Dear Jerycmeach

Welcome to AH. Congratulations on the great trophy.
We can certainly entertain you to spectacular elephant hunting in Western Botswana in our areas comprising in access of million acres on the main migratory route between the Okavango Delta and Namibia's well known and most reputable elephant hunting destination in Bushman land.
This area boast with some really monster body size elephants often frequented by older past productive bulls which ensures some of the best elephant hunting in Africa.
The terrain is sometimes harsh, sandy with rolling slopes and sparse tree cover in certain areas.
This ofter results in a lot of mileage on foot, that being said hunters that are in good physical shape are more prone to catch up on these big tuskers. While we are having several permanent water points in the area,
the best recommended hunting time is between April thru end of June/July after the rainy seasons.
It is fair to expect tusk sizes varying between 55 - 75 lbs with of course the possibility of encountering the odd 80+ lbs, which is a rarity anywhere in Africa.
Thank you.
Kind regards
Magdel

With those expectations book a elephant hunt in Botswana
Exactly. There are a couple of outfits that specialize in big tuskers in Botswana from what I hear there should be an announcement or a hunt report here. In Zimbabwe I think CMS has ONE 15 day hunt left in an area for 2023 where they have been averaging 60+ lbs ( i have the other permit that was available) last several years. But those hunts are in October though the area does not get as hot as valleys, averaged mid 90s this year in the area in October, whereas I hit 114F in Nyakasanga this year in August.
Thank you so much for this reply. Yes this is sounding like accurate information because I have been talking with Len Taylor who works with CMS and he thought he could get me into that hunt in May. After checking on availability he said that the only date was the October date you mentioned in your message to me. That is during the time I am running my Kansas whitetail operation so that is our for me unfortunately.
thanks for your input.
jerry

Howdy, from a native Kansan... who has been in Alaska most of his adult life. What part of AK do you guide in? I'm .
Howdy, from a native Kansan... who has been in Alaska most of his adult life. What part of AK do you guide in? I'm in Dillingham.
Hello, I have seen your posts many times AH and thought we had much in common. I guided out of Dillingham in the late 80s. I can remember taking skiffs feom town all the way to the king salmon, Chilchitina, and everywhere else! Such a long time ago. I forget all the villages where I got supplies. Eckwok, Kolliganek, forgive me I’m just spelling phonetically from memory. Lots of mulchatna hills area hunting and then down around lake bucharoff and so forth. Like I said. Forgive the spelling. I’ve been out of ketchikan the last 26 years. Before that I was west of prince if whales on the outer coast islands and on and on. A stint in the Alaska range and the brooks. Oh yes. In 96 I guided out of kotzebue on the Kobuck, the squirrel, and no name rivers. Even took ole Larry Wieshune the whitetail hunter from Texas in a hunt up there.
I’ve been I. The flint hills is Kansas for 26 years. I own caney creek outfitters. 30 k acres of irk are leased ground and a really nice lodge on 840 acres of my own. God has blessed me to be in the outdoors all my life hunting and fishing. I’m originally from Florida growing up hunting and fishing. I was a dive and a charter Captain even a astronaunt dive rescuer for nasa so it has been an amazing life.

My daily posts on Facebook are @caneycreekoutfitters on facebook
In ketchikan I’m aaa sportfishing company
@aaa.sportfishing.company my charter business is shuttered due to COVID. I was cruise ship customer dependent. This is why I was able to go to africa. The previous 32 years I was busy hiding hunters And fishermen in Alaska.
my emails are [redacted]
And [redacted]

Howdy Jerry. Thanks for that. I am headed kinda sorta your direction this week: Sitka for a first time blacktail hunt.

The Flint Hills are pretty. I from over west of Salina.

Best of wishes on your Africa plans. (y)

Good luck on your hunt! I’m running my hunting lodge in Kansas at the moment of course. I drive 70 past your Kansas home a dozen times a year. Take care!!!

Jerry, you are getting a lot of great info. In general, I would say you could hunt ele in Zim and expect 40-50 lbs if you are patient, or lucky, and be in for around $30-35K. My checks with Bots for an ele were looking to get 65-80 lbs but were starting at $85K. Big difference, so again, depends on your taste, your wallet, and timing. Best of luck and still need to chat about your last hunt. Like you, work seems to always get in the way of a good story.

Jerry, you are getting a lot of great info. In general, I would say you could hunt ele in Zim and expect 40-50 lbs if you are patient, or lucky, and be in for around $30-35K. My checks with Bots for an ele were looking to get 65-80 lbs but were starting at $85K. Big difference, so again, depends on your taste, your wallet, and timing. Best of luck and still need to chat about your last hunt. Like you, work seems to always get in the way of a good story.
Man we really need to talk. I appreciate you so much. Thanks for the info!
[redacted]

Jerry, you are getting a lot of great info. In general, I would say you could hunt ele in Zim and expect 40-50 lbs if you are patient, or lucky, and be in for around $30-35K. ...
Kazuma forestry area in Zim with CMS has been averaging 60 lbs, only two tags a year. All in for $60K. So, about 2/3 of Botswana prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you