Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,NRA,RMEF
Hunted
United States, Canada, South Africa x4
Hello folks,

I have a friend who is a serious waterfowl hunter and I would like to get some information for him from outfitters who offer waterfowling hunting packages along with plains game opportunities in South Africa.

He would like to hunt a variety of different species of ducks and geese that South Africa has to offer and then hunt plains game for a few days as well. Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to everyone's input.

Paw print can do a package for both birds and plains game. I will be doing some birds this year in aug and so looking forward to it.

What kind of questions do you have that need answered? There is duck and geese in the area. They supply shotguns to the hunters you just get the shells there. The areas for birds and plains games is in the same generally area but both can be hunted on the same day. Feel free to ask anything and if I dont have the answers I will get them from pieter for you. He has started hunted already but I talk with him ever few days.

20150704_081023.jpg
20150704_080858.jpg

@Bruinmaster , we do mixed bag wing shooting and can combine with plains game.

Species of land birds: Guinea fowl, this is driven hunts with beaters. Greywing, redwing and swansons francolin are hunted over trained german shorthair pointers.

Rock pigeon and doves over the sunflowers, that is real high volume shooting and takes a good eye, fast moving.

On the water birds we have several pans of shallow water, which the ducks and geese enjoy. Also depending time of the year they like to feed on the green feed. Spurwing and Egyptian geese. Yellowbill duck, cape shovels, redbill teal and more, some species we need to take out permits.
kimbaderek.jpg
L1010998.JPG
rockies 2.jpg
Steve & Chris birdshoot ws.jpg

My friend is just in the planning stages so I figured I could do a little research for him on AH.

When is the best time of year to hunt the widest variety of waterfowl? I have heard August? Is waterfowl hunting available in May, June, July ?
Are ducks and geese exportable for taxidermy in the United States or does the taxidermy need to be done in South Africa?
Are there daily bag limits? Trophy fees for additional waterfowl taken?

I am limited in my waterfowl knowledge. So any additional information would be helpful. Thanks everyone for the replies.

If you know your birds, most months are good. August can be a better month, due to water, but also the worst month for heavy winds.

Birds can be prepped for export.

10 land birds and 10 water birds per day limit. Pigeon and doves no bag limit.

If you know your birds, most months are good. August can be a better month, due to water, but also the worst month for heavy winds.

Birds can be prepped for export.

10 land birds and 10 water birds per day limit. Pigeon and doves no bag limit.
Simon once we get this leopard stuff figured out we're going to have to talk about some of this waterfowling in RSA. I'd rather hunt ducks than just about anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.