AH member
Reaction score
South Carolina Low Country, near Charleston
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, DU, NWTF, Palmetto Gun Club
Hunted
South Africa
Looking into trying to set up a coastal black bear hunt for sometime in 2016. One of those hunts that use a yacht as the base camp is very interesting, combination of scenery and comfort, and my wife would love it. Anyone know if any of those outfitters that offer this kind of hunt will be at the DSC convention this year?

I do have an outfitter that does the yacht based hunts, they will not be at DSC however. Drop me an email or PM and I would be more than happy to send you the info on the hunt.

Hello Jbeach,

Whomever you book with probably already knows this trick but if not, placing your bear skull in a shrimp pot (aka shrimp trap) and leaving it in deep water a day or two, will have it super cleaned of all soft tissue, including the brains.
Then you can also enjoy the fresh shrimp that come up with your cleaned bear skull.
If it turns out that you hunt some area that is not so good for shrimping, ask your guide about him supplying a wire mesh cage of sturdy design to submerge the skull in anyway, because the sea lice will scrub it super clean as well.

Last but not least, if you hunt an area that has not had much hunting pressure, you will see some bears.
At the moment, we are over-run with the hairy rascals and they generally are some of the best eating meat in N. America, especially if they've been subsisting on wild berries and/or green grass, as most of them do.

If you end up in Anchorage during transit and have a little time to kill, please look me up.
I will be happy to recommend some restaurants, gun stores, museum and places to avoid, (unless you're into extremely loud music and being stabbed in the parking lot - LOL).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Looking into trying to set up a coastal black bear hunt for sometime in 2016. One of those hunts that use a yacht as the base camp is very interesting, combination of scenery and comfort, and my wife would love it. Anyone know if any of those outfitters that offer this kind of hunt will be at the DSC convention this year?

I went on a cruise with Wild Alaska Crusies. I took my bear in less the a hour of leaving the boat. I should have spent more time, there were plenty of bears, and the one I took wasn't very big. This is a self guided They dropped a skiff in the water and pointed me in the right direction. I had to do the rest. My wife and I took this trip for our 25th anniversary and had a great time. Lots of good fishing, good food, and great sight seeing. Check their web sight.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 with Velo Dog regarding bear meat. Hard to beat for table fare if they've been dining on blueberries/huckleberries. Yum! Just make sure it is reasonably well cooked.
Good luck!

Coastal Alaska Adventures. I hunted with Keegan 10 years ago and he is at DSC. 7'3" square color phase.

Thanks. As it turns out I had just talked to Keegan a few minutes before I saw your post, there was another couple there that had hunted with him before and were looking at booking again and recommended him highly. Then I saw your post. I went back and showed it to Keegan and told him it must be karma or fate and I would talk to him and later. Went back a little bit ago and booked a hunt for 2017. Thanks everyone for your help.

Congrats. You have made a great choice. Ann and I also did a cruise with he and his wife Chelsea. My next hunt with him will be for deer. If you want to know more about Keegan pm me and we can chat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross