AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
Looking for a archery hunt for a daytime steenbok as my #1 animal and possibly a few others or some cull hunting. Anyone have a bowhunt with a good chance of success on a day light steenbok?

375Fox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
Have you hunted in central Namibia previously? They are a very common antelope there. I don’t see why it would be difficult to get into bow range on one during a hunt with the amount of opportunity available there.

meigsbucks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
I’m not sure about the bowhunting situation but when I hunted Jamy Traut’s Panorama camp in ‘18, steenbok were everywhere

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
I’m not sure about the bowhunting situation but when I hunted Jamy Traut’s Panorama camp in ‘18, steenbok were everywhere
Thats always the case until you want to hunt one. Then they all seem to to go into hiding :LOL:

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I tried hunting them in Namibia in 2016 because we were tripping over them on the same place in 2013. I put a fair amount of time into hunting them with a rifle because of how spooky they were and I didn't get one. One big thing I learned is don't hunt them in a drought hit area with little grass. They need that cover for security. They can hide behind virtually anything, but they won't hold long enough for you to get a shot without some cover they feel safe in. So, go for some place with a good rain season. Finding them will be hard, but you have a better chance at a shot because they'll hold.
Good luck.

Spear Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.spearsafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI life member, PHASA life member
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines
Looking for a archery hunt for a daytime steenbok as my #1 animal and possibly a few others or some cull hunting. Anyone have a bowhunt with a good chance of success on a day light steenbok?
Dear Jeff
I have a camp in the north of Limpopo, waterpoort, with very good blind set up at waterholes. We frequently have steenbuck come to water.
Please feel free to email me for more info
Info@spearsafaris.com
Cheers Ernest

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
I tried hunting them in Namibia in 2016 because we were tripping over them on the same place in 2013. I put a fair amount of time into hunting them with a rifle because of how spooky they were and I didn't get one. One big thing I learned is don't hunt them in a drought hit area with little grass. They need that cover for security. They can hide behind virtually anything, but they won't hold long enough for you to get a shot without some cover they feel safe in. So, go for some place with a good rain season. Finding them will be hard, but you have a better chance at a shot because they'll hold.
Good luck.
I hunted Namibia in 2014 near Omaruru and it was an exceptionally good year for rains. The grass was green and about a foot high. Steenbok were everywhere! I shot an average ram on the first day and then on about day 5 we saw one that must have been half gemsbok! Of course it just stood there about 15 yards away and watched me drool!

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
From what I’ve seen, you could drive up to one, jump out bow in hand, watch it run, and if you can shoot 60-70 yards, it’ll turn and give you a shot briefly. It will then run 100 yards into bush. At that point, you and one tracker could walk it up carefully and have a 50 yard shot in the bush, maybe closer.

I’d think adding it on to another hunt opportunistically, you’d have a good chance of success. No idea how they come to watering holes or what time they drink as I’ve never bow hunted Africa over a watering hole. I’ve just seen them flushing as the truck goes by and they usually don’t go far.

DE KLERK SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.dksafaris.com
Media
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, International Professional Hunter's Association, Professional Hunter's Association of South Africa, South Africa Predator Association.
Hunted
Botswana, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Argentina, USA.
Hello Jeff
Here in the Kalahari desert we have hundreds of steenbuck.
I agree with Ryan where you need to hunt them where the grass is tall so that they will feel safe and hold up. When I was a little kid I used to sneak up on steenbuck sometimes up to 20 yards away. I usually went out in the late afternoon and kept the sun at my back and while they are grazing and digging for roots you can sneak up close to them without them noticing you.
We also have plenty of bow blinds at waterholes but steenbuck do not drink water so have never seen them at a waterhole. They get enough moisture from the succulent shoots and grass they eat.
We've had wonderfull rains this year so the grass is tall.
Perfect for steenbuck but nobody can travel.
Just hope this Corona travel restrictions will get lifted soon.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings