Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I'm looking for a Winchester Mod. 70 Classic in 300 or 338 Ultra Mag. It doesn't have to be pristine, a "working rifle" will do just fine. I've only seen one "Custom Classic" in 338 Ultra Mag on any of the usual online auctions. It was priced way out of line based on what I want.

404J project in mind?

Yep. I'm thinking about another one to go along with the CZ 550 I already own. I'm in no hurry so I can wait for one at the "right" price.

the right price is the catch, I bought my two winchester classic 70 left hand rifles at the end of production in 300 win and 7mm rem mag and like then tho they are a little heavy.

DSCN9990 (2).JPG

Yep. I'm thinking about another one to go along with the CZ 550 I already own. I'm in no hurry so I can wait for one at the "right" price.

I stumbled on one online and got it for like $700 from a Cabelas in Georgia. They're not easy to find, but keep an eye out and you'll find one sooner or later.

It's not just the M 70 Classic (being a CRF) but in a 300 or 338 Ultra Mag. The reason being that these calibers are based on a 404 Jeffery case. Since the ultimate goal is another 404 Jeffery, I'm thinking that a barrel swap and maybe other minor gunsmithing is all that is necessary. Thereby keeping total cost at a minimum. I'd really appreciate hearing from a gunsmith that has performed this conversion. If in fact there is a significant amount of work necessary, the attendant costs would result in me forgoing the project.

Its mostly the magazine box and follower. You can still buy the follower from Midwest, but ut they've been out of the mag box for a while. Sunny Hill probably could make the box.

I ask if you're set on the Winchester because I have a giant mauser clone action I am moving on from and will be putting in the classifieds soon. My plan was a 404

It's not just the M 70 Classic (being a CRF) but in a 300 or 338 Ultra Mag. The reason being that these calibers are based on a 404 Jeffery case. Since the ultimate goal is another 404 Jeffery, I'm thinking that a barrel swap and maybe other minor gunsmithing is all that is necessary. Thereby keeping total cost at a minimum. I'd really appreciate hearing from a gunsmith that has performed this conversion. If in fact there is a significant amount of work necessary, the attendant costs would result in me forgoing the project.

I had Wayne at AHR do mine. Don't remember the cost. I do know the rifle functions great and initial accuracy was there, just need to get back to that rifle and finish load development.

Thanks for the heads up on Wayne at AHR. I knew he worked on CZs but didn't know he worked on Winchesters as well. I'll send him an email.

@Shootist43 : Art, a couple points to add. I think there was also a 375 RUM, so look at those too. Back in January, I found a Win M70 Super Grade in 300 RUM on GB. I got it and contacted Hill Country Rifles and they wouldn't do the conversion to 404 Jeff. I then contacted Wayne at AHR and same story. I contacted someone highly recommended GS in Indiana and he wanted $3K plus to do the work. I then contacted Dennis Olsen in Montana and he made a much more reasonable quote. I sent Dennis the rifle and ordered a Krieger barrel in early February. Krieger quoted 6 months and it's now 7+ months. They were contouring the barrel late last week and it should ship this week to Dennis. He told me once he has the barrel, he should have it done in about a month. I purchased a box of ammo and a set of Tally 30mm QR rings and sent them to Dennis. Dennis will add a second crossbolt, barrel ring, glass bed, NEGC iron sights, blue everything to match, etc. Dennis will shoot it to verify everything works, the action properly cycles rounds and the iron sights are accurate.

That is odd they'd pass up the project. Outside of taking a rifle already in 404 and just putting on a new identical barrel in 404, there is not an easier 404 to build than the Win RUM conversion. Or maybe it was TOO easy and they couldn't charge enough....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross