WANTED: African Low Fence/Unfenced Plains Game Hunt

I have to disagree or add to this part. I’ve hunted on many properties the fence had no impact also, but I don’t like associating property size and free range experience. Two of the best fences properties I hunted were in Limpopo and rather small, it’s because they were both the owner’s playgrounds and not managed as an intensive game farm. One was maybe only 2000 acres and had some nyala, zebra, and impala as well as warthog, duiker, bushbuck. He used it as a camping ground on weekends and some meat impala. The other property was another really wealthy owner and had the best kudu I’ve ever seen and he was just letting them die of old age, we were only allowed one and we hunted 4 days, we were the only hunters that had or have been allowed to the property. That property was hilly but 8000 acres. My point with this is there is an operation that comes to mind that markets their 50,000+ private acres aggressively at very low prices without mentioning the huge number of hunters and PHs or the huge amount of game introductions each year. A huge property can be turned into an aggressive game farming operation as easily as a small property can or a small property can be just as good as a large property with with the correct management. A lot of questions need to be asked.
Phillip, you should come hunt with us on our Limpopo Farms, small in comparison to those 50 000acre places, but you'd be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the `hunt.

Phillip, you should come hunt with us on our Limpopo Farms, small in comparison to those 50 000acre places, but you'd be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the `hunt.
I think you meant to reply to philip’s post and not mine? But that was the point I was trying to make that large properties and quality hunting shouldn’t automatically be grouped together. A large property with way too many hunters can still get over hunted like the one I referenced.

I have to disagree or add to this part. I’ve hunted on many properties the fence had no impact also, but I don’t like associating property size and free range experience. Two of the best fences properties I hunted were in Limpopo and rather small, it’s because they were both the owner’s playgrounds and not managed as an intensive game farm. One was maybe only 2000 acres and had some nyala, zebra, and impala as well as warthog, duiker, bushbuck. He used it as a camping ground on weekends and some meat impala. The other property was another really wealthy owner and had the best kudu I’ve ever seen and he was just letting them die of old age, we were only allowed one and we hunted 4 days, we were the only hunters that had or have been allowed to the property. That property was hilly but 8000 acres. My point with this is there is an operation that comes to mind that markets their 50,000+ private acres aggressively at very low prices without mentioning the huge number of hunters and PHs or the huge amount of game introductions each year. A huge property can be turned into an aggressive game farming operation as easily as a small property can or a small property can be just as good as a large property with with the correct management. A lot of questions need to be asked.
To each his own. I don't personally go to Africa to hunt a 2000 acre farm. You do have point however and that is that it is about the experience. My point is that on the bigger fenced properties it is like there is no fence at all. Its just Africa! Some guys get on here asking for a free range hunt and they really don't know what they are asking for.

Will certainly do that some day. Hopefully soon. It would be a great time for sure!

I’m curious about the fence thing in Africa, having never been. In the USA, people pay a premium to hunt trophy elk and mule deer on fenced and gated private land, often times costing significantly more than a plains game Africa hunt. 10,000 - 20,000 acres is a pretty good sized ranch in the western states. Honest question: What is the difference?

I’m curious about the fence thing in Africa, having never been. In the USA, people pay a premium to hunt trophy elk and mule deer on fenced and gated private land, often times costing significantly more than a plains game Africa hunt. 10,000 - 20,000 acres is a pretty good sized ranch in the western states. Honest question: What is the difference?
Difference in price or in hunting a large property no fencing vs fence? Fenced properties in South Africa at least can be cheaper or more expensive really depends on how they are managed. The fence gives the owner private ownership of game. The difference in hunting a fenced property vs an unfenced property to me is how the fence is used. If the fence is used to protect what is inside and sustainably hunt there is no difference, actually probably better. If the fence is used to introduce new animals/new trophies because the owner tried to push more hunters through than can sustainably be taken each year, that is a different discussion. If you YouTube South Africa game ranching there are 100s of videos that will show what a large industry it is.

Individual perception of free range hunting, how it should be done.
Secodnly, wrong individual perecpetion of hunting in Africa as it once was in times of Selous, Roosevelt, Hemingway, Ruark...
This all is mixed with some bad practisses that happen on occasion, such as "put and take" operation, and publicly blasted practise of CBL (Captive bread lion) hunting, by media.
Then you get heated discussions on the forum.

I have hunted Africa before. I am searching for a low fence (unfenced?) plains game hunt for me and my nephew. I want him to experience Africa, but not on a "game farm." Plains game is our focus. Thank You.
Crusader Safaris!!!! Awesome No Fence hunting operation, with huge diversity.

Mokore Safaris in Coutada 9 in Mozambique with the Duckworth family. Another member @IdaRam is going there soon. I’ve been there as well. They also have two areas in Zimbabwe. Great people.
I have been to C9 as well and highly recommend the area, Mokore Ranch in the Save has fantastic plains game as well. If you are going to take the time and expense to do a truly wild area you just as well see dangerous game while on some stalk's, keep's the blood pressure up!!
Another vote for Mokore. In addition to Coutada 9’s 850,000 acres and Mokore Ranch in the Save, Sengwa in Zimbabwe has excellent Plains Game and 80,000 acres without fences and adjoins Chisarira National Park. All 3 of these are Mokore’s areas and they are an absolutely top notch safari company. You would be well served to give them a look.
As @neckdeep mentioned no matter what you are hunting doing so in an area with elephant, cape buffalo, lion and leopard definitely adds a dimension to the hunt.

I have hunted Africa before. I am searching for a low fence (unfenced?) plains game hunt for me and my nephew. I want him to experience Africa, but not on a "game farm." Plains game is our focus. Thank You.
@TakeMeLord
My wife son and myself hunted Namibia with Osambahe Nord safaris run and owned by Harold and Liezel Jacobs. It is a low fence to virtually non existent fences and he has 2 properties to hunt . His own in the Gobabis region and his in-laws place in the Kalahari region.
Great selection of game and good trophies on both properties.
Great owners, facilities, staff, food I could go on.
You can read my story in hunt reports if you like.
Kowas Highland safaris is also a reputable company that also gets great reviews.
Bob.

@TakeMeLord
My apologies I'm meant Kohmas, I can't remember the correct spelling. Where we hunted you had, gemsbuck/Oryx, kudu,burchells zebra,Springbok, black and blue wildebeest, waterbuck, impala, warthog, red heartebeast, impala, a couple of the smaller antelope but ttsx c ant remember the names,.

To clarify matters on game fenced property:
The Law allows you to hunt only during hunting season ie April - September (roughly per region) unless your farm has been exempted which will require you to have a game fence (8 foot) so that you can prove it is your own stock that is hunted.
I have hunted Botswana where there were no fences between farms and also in Limpopo where most farms are game fenced. To be honest if the farm is bigger than 750 hectares you can walk all day without seeing a fence and it is as challenging as no fences. It also has the benefit of knowing that there are only x amount of people hunting the land so you don’t get shot!
The days of wide open Serengeti hunting ended in the 1950’s about the same time JA Hunter exterminated 1500 Rhinos to make way for the expanding wakimbe tribe....

you could look into several of the fenced and unfenced private ranches here in Zambia.
Takeri reserve, chat to @spike.t
Mbizi reserve, chat to @MBIZI SAFARIS Michael
Other reserves and areas in Zambia are available, I know between Mike at Takeri, Michael at Mbizi, Thor Kirchner at Munyamadzi reserve, myself and Billy @BillyMiller, you could get all the info and details you need to make a decision.
make it a memorable hunt in Zambia and you will not be disappointed.

How come some okes post something and then just dont bother to reply......
:P Fisherman:
fishing for info only i guess

How come some okes post something and then just dont bother to reply......
Obvioulsy, some bad manners...

@Kowas Adventure Safaris in Namibia!
Namibia is beautiful, huge country. The Strauss family do an amazing job. They hunt on huge no fence/low -livestock fence properties and are expert at putting you on big, old bulls/rams.
There are many reviews right here on AH to read.

Good day @TakeMeLord

If you are interested in a hunting Safari in Zambia, Mozambique or Namibia you are welcome to contact me.
We have access to some really good areas that are free range and large concessions.
Game are plentiful but you have to be prepared to work for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross