Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Canada, USA, Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, RSA, Limpopo, Free State
Hi guys, I'm looking for a rifle Elk hunt in New Mexico this year, can anyone recommend a good outfitter to get in touch with? Thank you.

Is Vermeho Park still offering hunts?

Do you have an area of the you are most interested in?

Do you have a size in mind? Ie “must shoot 300+”? If you would be happy with a 260 6x6, I have a hell of a place that is super reasonably priced that I could suggest. It’s not that larger animals aren’t there, I just think that is average. Allows you to add a black bear for $200, as well.

From someone who lives in NM. I have hunted the Gila Wilderness for years. I use to have my own horses, so I packed myself in and hunted alone,archery. That is unit 16B, only horseback, or walking. VERY good unit! I have taken a 408, and a 416 bull there over the years. It is not difficult to draw for archery, but pretty hard to draw for rifle. I know 2 outfitters that hunt there in the "general" area that I hunted. PM me (however you do that) and I'll send you their info. If you want to hunt on your own try unit 16C or unit 15.

Do you have a size in mind? Ie “must shoot 300+”? If you would be happy with a 260 6x6, I have a hell of a place that is super reasonably priced that I could suggest. It’s not that larger animals aren’t there, I just think that is average. Allows you to add a black bear for $200, as well.

I’d be very interested if you don’t mind sharing.

I have used San Francisco River Outfitters for a drop camp hunt after I sold my horses. Another that hunts that area is Gary Webb. I have not used him at all. Both are on the internet.

Hey guys thanks for the replies,
Postoak I will look at Vermeho Park
YancyW I was thinking the northern part of New Mexico, its a 1500 mile drive to New Mexico for me, but I will go where I need to what's another couple hundred miles anyway.
AES I just to to go hunt for a bull, I have a rag horn (4x4) on a do it yourself hunt in Colorado, so an average bull is fine with me.
Clifford Johnson I'm am wanting to archery hunt for a big boy one day just not this year, have to do it soon going to be 63 this year. I will check the 2 you have suggested. Thanks everyone.

Id be interested as well if you dont mind.

If you want an area with lots of elk, just not very big unless you hunt one of the big ranches, try unit 4.

Wesheltonj, thanks for the tip, I might have it narrowed down to 2 different outfits, but until then I'm still open to any recommendations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg