Wanted 87gr 250-3000 Savage Ammunition

Thanks I will start the search. I am planning to use it as a pig gun. Bushpig hunting around my parts is a thing, because they destroy farmers crops. My sons can also hopefully carry it one day since it's light/ well balanced and no recoil, easy to operate.
@Fredsteyn
may be impala mak a nice little 25 cal projectile. Any thing you can hunt with the horrible little 243 the 250 will do and more.
Bob

these Savage 250-3000 can be pretty tricky. I got Hendershots to load me 87gr Speer hot cores. I think they charged only about $40 a box which I thought was a bargain.

An 80gr Barnes would be unlikely to stabilize I’m told, since it’s about a 102gr lead equivalent by volume. You’d need like a 65gr-68gr copper bullet to get to the correct volume for the twist rate.
Glad you came across Hendershot's!! I've heard really good thing's about them.

I've got an old '99 250-3000 with the 1:14 twist that I have experimented with a lot.

The 100 grain Hornady (#2540) spire point/interlock is the most accurate bullet I've shot in it. Sub-moa always and occasionally 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Deer just crumple when hit with it.

If you can find some vintage Winchester Silvertip 100gr ammo, those shoot very well too. They seem to be pretty tough and don't expand as much as I'd like though. My dad gave me several boxes he bought in the '70s so I don't know if there's any out there now.

None of the polymer tipped 100 grainers will stabilize. The Barnes 80 TTSX won't stabilize. The Remington 100gr PSP is slightly longer than the Hornady 100gr, and isn't as accurate (must be marginal stability).

If Hornady ever discontinues the 100 interlock I may have to go to the 87, but I'd encourage you to try the Hornady 100 interlock with some 3031 or H100V.

‘I’m not sure, 1950s-1960s? I was warned my gun won’t shoot the 100gr correctly and the speer hcsp 87gr was the most accurate in old guns. I’m a parrot, I haven’t tested any of this.
The twist rate in the 250-3000 barrels was changes from 1 in 14" to 1 in 10" in 1960, when they moved facilities from Chicopee Falls to Westfield. Barrel address will give you a quick indication as to where the rifle was made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammie2072

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross