Wanted 416 Rem Mag In Remington 700 Or Winchester 70

Shoot a 700 enough, you will absolutely wear out an extractor…

A good buddy of mine that was an instructor at the army’s sniper school used to keep a couple of extractors in his pocket at all times… he swapped them out on the school house guns regularly..

I’ve personally had to replace extractors on a Rem 700 in 308 as well as a Rem 600 in 308 (has the same extractor only the 600 uses a rivet to retain it)…

I love an old school 700… have owned a lot of them over the years… when well maintained they can be stellar rifles… accurate, reliable, and sturdy… and…they are affordable…there is a reason the 700 action was the basis for the primary sniper rifle for the Army and the USMC for decades…

But it wouldn’t be my first choice (or even 5th) for a DG rifle…

There are just too many other options that are better in the same price range..

Shoot a 700 enough, you will absolutely wear out an extractor…
Exactly! Most centerfire "consumer level" rifles with the exception of AR15 and AK types, won't get shot 500 times in a decade or two! Further, the majority of them won't be shot with super-duper max handloads that may require a rubber mallet to whack open the bolt. Big manufacturers engineer their products for low production costs and for a certain life, maybe 5000 rounds, just a logical guess. My trusty Remington 700 Classic 30-06 with which I shot quite a few whitetails and at least one woodchuck at 200 yards, maybe has a thousand or so rounds through it. Frankly, while I will never sell it, it long ago took a place in the back corner of my safe having been superseded by "better" rifles.

I have other custom M700 actions that I've had Sako/M-16 extractors and double springed the ejectors. These are in 45 Raptor, a rimless 460 S&W which is about the most powerful and longest range cartridge I can legally use in lower Michigan to hunt deer. Chambered for a wildcat cartridge, those rifles have felt the rubber mallet on occasion.

There was a thread today discussing DG .22 practice rifles where I do not recall anyone referring to the best form of practice. That is, "dry firing" one's hunting rifle with a magazine full of dummy rounds. Over a couple years of DG practice, one could certainly cycle dummy rounds through the action 5000 or more times. While dummy rounds should not stick in the chamber, a spring clip extractor will be worked every time it clips over a cartridge rim.

The same could be true of the a modern M70 CRF extractor. These do occasionally fail. The pre-64 and M98 Mauser extractors do not fail, or at least if they do it is not common. Anyway, for the only modern M70 CRF I own, a 416 Rem, I had a Mauser extractor fitted to her to eliminate a potential single point of failure.

@Mark A Ouellette I have an AI that has over 20k rounds on the action. Well over 250k worth of dry fire that is a very low estimate on dry fire, no dummy rounds. Just did not see the benefits with the style of shooting I was doing.

I never used dummy rounds for target practice dry fire. Never, except to protect the chamber of a .22 rimfire like my Pardini pistol.
But for DG hunting, I want the feeling of each round being chambered and ejected burned into my sub-conscious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you