Wanted 416 Rem Mag In Remington 700 Or Winchester 70

Drlawson31

Reaction score
Member of
NRA, 3 Percenter
Hunted
South Africa
I’m looking for a 416 Rem Mag in either a Remington 700 custom or Winchester 70 Safari. Thanks

Not sure what your budget is but I might mention that 416 Remington is sort of a red headed stepchild in the fine gun world. Nothing wrong with it, other than its not a 416 Rigby.

I’ve seen more than a few $8000 Dakotas in 416 Remington go for the Mid $3s. If you really want that caliber, there are some bargains out there that may suprise you. PM me if you‘d like a Dakota like that, I saw one on another forum (no affiliation) just this week.

Not sure what your budget is but I might mention that 416 Remington is sort of a red headed stepchild in the fine gun world. Nothing wrong with it, other than its not a 416 Rigby.

I’ve seen more than a few $8000 Dakotas in 416 Remington go for the Mid $3s. If you really want that caliber, there are some bargains out there that may suprise you. PM me if you‘d like a Dakota like that, I saw one on another forum (no affiliation) just this week.
10 times better rifle than a M700 custom especially in that caliber....

10 times better rifle than a M700 custom especially in that caliber....
Rem 700's extractors would break with the high pressure of the 416 in the heat of Africa. PH's had it happen regularly. The rifle wouldn't extract the rifle being useless. Rem quit chambering the 416 except in the custom shop. There they installed a SAKO EXTRACTOR and probably reinforced the stock.

Rem 700's extractors would break with the high pressure of the 416 in the heat of Africa. PH's had it happen regularly. The rifle wouldn't extract the rifle being useless. Rem quit chambering the 416 except in the custom shop. There they installed a SAKO EXTRACTOR and probably reinforced the stock.
Watch Desert Dog Outdoors dissertation on the Remington 700 416.

I would change the Remington 700 choice to Ruger M77 or CZ550 based on budget. I prefer the Win M70 but only the CRF (control round feed). Most African hunters prefer these over the push feed options like the Rem M700.

Watch Desert Dog Outdoors dissertation on the Remington 700 416.

I really enjoy Desert Dog. But if you listen to him you would never buy a Remington rifle. Lol. If you don’t have a preference definitely buy a CRF. But if you are a Remington man don’t be afraid of them. I’ve got 7 dangerous game rifles on Remington actions. Only ever had one extractor problem out of probably 100,000 rounds out of Remington rifles. That happened when a friend let his chamber get some rust in it, and on a trip had to hit the bolt back with a rock. The extractor still didn’t break. Several years and many shots later found that the front of the bolt that holds the extractor in was cracked of.

I think most rifles would have had the bolt handle broken off by the rock.

I will say again though if the action style doesn’t make any difference to you go to a CRF they are time tested, resale is great. Just have to speak my peace when the 700 gets eggs thrown at it. Lol.

I agree with staying away from the 700 custom. I have two, one in 458 win and another in 416 rem. I bought them because they were left handed. Both went back to the custom shop twice to be fixed. The 458 was finally fixed by the Dakota shop when the Rem custom shop went belly up.

hntr58, thanks for the info from your experience with these. Do you mind describing what was wrong and how the Dakota shop took care of it?

Go with the model 70 Safari grade.in 416 Rem Mag. 416 Rigby is for all the nostalgic Africa Aficionados but it has No ballistic advantage. I’ve taken both Elephant and Buffalo on numerous ocastions and it is a perfect caliber for the dangerous game hunter. Make no mistake not a stopper but a great hunting caliber.

I’m looking for a 416 Rem Mag in either a Remington 700 custom or Winchester 70 Safari. Thanks

I may have a model 700 416 remington mag un fired. May not be customs shop. Customs go for around 2800 KS safari if you can find one New.
If you are interested I will try to pull it out of walt. No box or papers. I paid around 15 or 16 hundred on gun broker auction. Let me know.
Also have plenty of ammo and brass for sale.
Krish

hntr58, thanks for the info from your experience with these. Do you mind describing what was wrong and how the Dakota shop took care of it?
Both had feeding problems. The first was the 416. I sent it back to the Remington custom shop twice. They never got it right. I wound up taking it my gunsmith. He carefully worked on the feeding rails and got it right. Cost me money of course. On the 458 I sent it to two different places that the custom shop told me to. Neither fixed it. At the time Remington also used the Dakota shop. So, I sent it to them. They called and told me they would install a detachable box magazine. I wasn’t crazy about it with the heavy recoil but I had no choice without costing me more money. Dakota installed and it seems to work fine. I did hunt with it twice for Alaskan brown bear. It’s a shame. These aren’t Dakota quality rifles but any rifle coming out of any factory should at least feed properly.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I agree, far too many rifles to not feed properly as they come from the factory. Especially for a custom shop gun. It’s interesting though that the problem is involved feeding, and not the notorious extractor.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I agree, far too many rifles to not feed properly as they come from the factory. Especially for a custom shop gun. It’s interesting though that the problem is involved feeding, and not the notorious extractor.
I’ve never had a Remington extractor problem. Maybe I’m just lucky I guess. I’ve had a few Sako extractors installed years ago because I was told how bad the Remington ones were. One thing I did think was worse was the J-lock that used to be installed. My 416 had it and my gunsmith replaced it. In one of his books Boddington does a pretty detailed explanation of push vs Crf. Having his choice I believe he said he would choose controlled round but was also not hesitant to use push feed

The J Lock was awful. I haven’t seen the rem extractor issues myself, but know people I trust who have. I know of a couple of instances where the bolt handle came off but that involved trying to beat the bolt open after a severe overload. One fellow accidentally reloaded 22-250 rounds with pistol powder!

I’ve beat open a Rem700 or 3. Never broke a bolt handle off, never broke an extractor. I have had the trigger malfunction when set too light. I have had parts flying on a Savage action. The most difficult rifle I’ve ever owned to get to feed properly is a CRF Winchester 70. That includes a couple of Brazilian lever guns. I too am a lefty so I’ve spent a lot of time with REM700’s and it’s various clones.

I have a 416 Remington
In Winchester safari
Only issue is the bolt binds and requires a slight downwards push when cycling the bolt
Other than that shots very well
Factory Remington Swift A Frames 400 grain and my hand loaded 400 grain Woodleighs shoot to the same horizontal
The action will become better with more use

Last edited:
I also like control feed actions rather than push feed fir dangerous game

I’ve beat open a Rem700 or 3. Never broke a bolt handle off, never broke an extractor. I have had the trigger malfunction when set too light. I have had parts flying on a Savage action. The most difficult rifle I’ve ever owned to get to feed properly is a CRF Winchester 70. That includes a couple of Brazilian lever guns. I too am a lefty so I’ve spent a lot of time with REM700’s and it’s various clones.
I have witnessed with my eyes, not hear say or regurgitating something someone said on a board, two Remington 700 handled broken off. That happened in a two different matches.

People feel one way or the other, what I can tell you. I have had both, my PF rifles have way more rounds down range the my CRF. Both have worked well, my PFs are not rem 700 or even 700 clones. Accuracy International, Blaser R8, Sako TRG. CRF Dakota Arms and Winchester

You have a lot of choices in good action, can a Remington 700 work, yes. Would I be willing to bet my life on it, no. YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.