Wanted .375H&H Dies, Brass, Bullets, Variety Of Ammunition

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I just picked up a .375 H&H Whitworth to play with at the local shop and I'm in need of some supplies...

Variety ammo - If anyone has several different partial boxes of factory ammo laying around with 5+ rounds left per box, I would be interested in them so I can try different brands, bullet weights, ect for accuracy and feed testing.

Dies - Good quality set with full length sizing preferably with shell holder and also looking for Lee factory crimp die.

Bullets - Same as the ammo, looking for different brands, weights, bullet styles, ect; for load as well as feed and function testing.

Located in Austin TX and willing to deal with shipping- contact by PM

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.04.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.04.29 PM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 220
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.04.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.04.32 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 200
Hello, what do you want to know about the .375? I have shot 300's and 285's through mine.
PPU is a great way to build up a little brass stockpile. Otherwise, I would buy Norma Brass.
I have done well with 4350, StaBall 6.5, and 760. I can look up load data tomorrow if you like. I like the 300 grain Sierras and also the Speer 285 grain Grand Slams for accuracy. PPU has a nice factory protected softpoint load that does well in all my .375's. I'm getting by with RCBS dies for .375. I use the Lee FC die also. I like it.

.375 isn't all that difficult to reload or find dies. You'll be fine.

Congrats on the new rifle! While I don't have any components or ammo for sale I will say that my Whitworth shoots almost anything well the single exception being the 235 grain Barnes X and it feeds anything I have tried. I'll double check my bullet stash and see what I can find.

Check Graf & Sons, they had Speer Grand Slam 285 grs bullets on sale for $17.99. They are out now, but if you log in you can get notified when they are back in stock. That's the cheapest I've seen. Here is the link:

Also, Shooter Pro Shop has 300 Grs Accubonds overruns for $34.95

I have started reloading recently for my 375 h&h cz 550 safari classic. I agree with forest halley. 300 sierra game king boat tail has got me.

Great grouping at 100m.

65 grains of norma 202 powder and those points work like magic. Not loading hot at all but they work great for what i hunt. Impala to eiland. I live in South Africa and hunted with my reloads the first time this weekend.

Amazing.

The first impala i ever shot with this rifle was looking away and i shot it in the naught. Bullet travelled from arsehole to front rib and i recovered it.

It is a great all rounder. (Can be used for long distance. +-400m further 270 grain ttsx)

IMG-20200907-WA0037.jpg
IMG-20200903-WA0019.jpg
IMG_20200904_085620.jpg
IMG_20200904_074855.jpg
IMG_20200904_074846.jpg
IMG_20200901_124531.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not use lee dies. I lost alot of brass. Hornady not one piece.

Check out this post:

Ok, I know where to find cheap ammo....

What I was looking for is different makes of factory ammo and bullets to load for testing; as common as the caliber is I was expecting to purchase partial boxes of ammo & bullets from different brands to test that other forum members had acquired and were looking to sell/dispose of.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.06.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.06.44 PM.png
    856.1 KB · Views: 178
Ok, I know where to find cheap ammo....

What I was looking for is different makes of factory ammo and bullets to load for testing; as common as the caliber is I was expecting to purchase partial boxes of ammo & bullets from different brands to test that other forum members had acquired and were looking to sell/dispose of.
This is a great theory, but it has a flaw: most .375 loads shoot to very similar point of impact between the 235, 270, and 300 grain loadings if loaded to the appropriate velocities. Might be why folks are sitting on their partial boxes with hunting season approaching. If I were you, I'd buy the over run accubonds, some Sierras and some of the PPU soft points in bags of 20 from Grafs and look into load data from various folks. You simply cannot screw up loading a .375 with a 300 grain bullet and H4350 or StaBall 6.5. The only factory ammunition I have ever had was the PPU. Very good shooting, but some like to trash the bullet. It tore up my AR 500 target while the sierra did very little at all, so it's built tough for sure.

Do tell what happened?

I found that the lyman die shaves a piece of the shells brass off and the lee physically cuts it that it gets a shoulder at the base and cannot be used. The hornady dies do it like a dream without shaving or cutting an edge. This photo is a good example of the shoulder that gets cut. I thought it was cheap brass that allowed it and bought expensive brass with the same results. (our south african pmp which stopped production of all ammo 2 years ago is cheap brass.) (federal and norma are the expensive ones for me i tried.)
15996330702551730636168358119912.jpg

Can i please ask you guys how your countries work?

It might sound off topic but i want to know if you guys eat the meat you shoot.

We shoot between 1.4 to 1.6 tons of meat with the head, organs, skin and feet removed a year except this year. We share it between 5 people. My father, my brothers and myself.

My childrens meat consumption for all meat is 70 to 80 % of game for their staple diet. They do not know the difference between beef or game.

The reason this counts for this discussion is the fact that you must pick your ammo according to your hunting requirements.

Meat damage is a very big issue to us as we want to comsume what we hunt. My 375 is new to me so i am not yet comfortable with head or neck shots. These are optimal as it is the least meat damage.

Certain other targeting methods for less meat loss are possible but not always available. I lost less meat with a soft loaded 300 grn sierra than people i have seen with a hot loaded 308. Our bush hunting is close range as i assume you guys have it.

I found that the lyman die shaves a piece of the shells brass off and the lee physically cuts it that it gets a shoulder at the base and cannot be used. The hornady dies do it like a dream without shaving or cutting an edge. This photo is a good example of the shoulder that gets cut. I thought it was cheap brass that allowed it and bought expensive brass with the same results. (our south african pmp which stopped production of all ammo 2 years ago is cheap brass.) (federal and norma are the expensive ones for me i tried.)
Good stuff to know. I have Lee .300WM dies, but I have not seen this happen yet. Granted I do not shoot too much .300 WM since I got my .375. My .375 dies are RCBS and have been very good as I have shot a bit of it with PPU brass and Federal nickel plated brass. I have Hornady for my .458 Lott and they make the case look like a belted .450/.400, but they work well in the gun.

It might sound off topic but i want to know if you guys eat the meat you shoot.

We shoot between 1.4 to 1.6 tons of meat with the head, organs, skin and feet removed a year except this year. We share it between 5 people. My father, my brothers and myself.

My childrens meat consumption for all meat is 70 to 80 % of game for their staple diet. They do not know the difference between beef or game.

The reason this counts for this discussion is the fact that you must pick your ammo according to your hunting requirements.

Meat damage is a very big issue to us as we want to comsume what we hunt. My 375 is new to me so i am not yet comfortable with head or neck shots. These are optimal as it is the least meat damage.

Certain other targeting methods for less meat loss are possible but not always available. I lost less meat with a soft loaded 300 grn sierra than people i have seen with a hot loaded 308. Our bush hunting is close range as i assume you guys have it.
The topic was moot anyhow. Typical do all the work for me post.
We eat the meat we shoot in the Eastern US. Sometimes divide it amongst man members of the club if it is a fruitful hunt or among the party. My favorite meat getting cartridge was either a .30-06 or a .300 WM. I shot factory 125's and 150's respectively. The 150's did Less damage to the meat. I'd go slow heavy bullet. I had luck with the .45-70 and 350 grain hollow points for neck shooting, but that was a small sample pool. I'd take the .375 for knockdown and less meat damage. Win win.

Last edited:

Meat damage is a very big issue to us as we want to comsume what we hunt.

Essentially all of the hunting that we do is what is considered meat hunting. the key to reduction of meat damage is to use a bullet more in the big/slow category than the little/fast group. It can be a 308 a 375 or a 458 as long as the bullet is sufficient for the game and the velocity is at the lower end of the bullets optimum speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.