Wanted 35 Whelen

There are a few Ruger 77s listed on GI and Gun broker chambered for it. They are priced a bit higher than more common calibers but not unreasonably so.

if you're in the US, try to find a good deal on a 270 or 30-06 you like, and send it to JES Reboring in Oregon. He can rebore it to 35 Whelen for 250, and that includes shipping back to you. Takes about 2 weeks. 35's command premiums lately, you likely can come out ahead vs buying a 35, unless you find a killer deal

if you're in the US, try to find a good deal on a 270 or 30-06 you like, and send it to JES Reboring in Oregon. He can rebore it to 35 Whelen for 250, and that includes shipping back to you. Takes about 2 weeks. 35's command premiums lately, you likely can come out ahead vs buying a 35, unless you find a killer deal

When you do that is accuracy usually good?

If you're in AN I'd be happy to show you my Whelen scout built on a M98, with 19" bbl, Redfield prep sight, and Burris Scout scope mounted on a Ruger #1 quarter rib.
Id post pics, but am technologically maladroit. :(

When you do that is accuracy usually good?
usually very good, yes. his stamping isn't pretty, but the work is very highly spoken of. I checked gunbroker, there are a decent amount of choices under $500 for a donor. Only thing you gotta watch is barrel profile, Jesse requires at least .100 per side, so in your case minimum .558" at the muzzle. Of course if you found a gun you really wanted that was a bit too thin, he'll just cut it back until a good width is found. Lots of guys turn M70 FWT's into 358 Winchester by cutting to 20".

700 CLASSICS have been bringing 1250 for beat up ones and up to $2k plus for NIB or like new! Crazy! Getting a like new older/higher quality Ruger or Rem 700 or Win 70 for $500-$600 is a joke any more. They are all $750 and up in like new or new condition in 270 and 06! Still will be cheaper then trying to find a 35 whelen unless you get extremely lucky. Small local shops are best bet as GB and other gunboards are getting all the money out of the 35 whelens right now. Good luck with it which ever way you go...but JES does great work and i know there work personally as i live in Oregon and come across his conversions every once in a while.

If memory serves the factory Remingtons had a 1 in 16" rate of twist. I had a .35 Whelen with the 1 in 16" twist that shot well as long you loaded bullets (conventional lead core types) no heavier than 225 grain. It was disappointing because I wanted to use heavier bullets in that particular rifle. It is something worth considering depending on what plans you have for your Whelen.

I have a Remington 700 ADL in 35 Whelen that I am willing to sell. It started life as a 30–06 and was rebarreled with a Shaw barrel. It currently sits in a wood stock and I think I still have the synthetic stock also. The rifle has a 21’ barrel and shoots very well. I also have a bunch of ammo for it. Let me know if you are interested.

I have a Remington 700 ADL in 35 Whelen that I am willing to sell. It started life as a 30–06 and was rebarreled with a Shaw barrel. It currently sits in a wood stock and I think I still have the synthetic stock also. The rifle has a 21’ barrel and shoots very well. I also have a bunch of ammo for it. Let me know if you are interested.
Very interested. Can you send pics, price to [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Remington made a pile of pump action 760s and 7600s in 35 Whelan. With the 22 inch barrel and a seasoned action they are very accurate and excellent for making moving and follow-up shots as you stay on target the entire time and the gun reloads itself upon recoil. Do a search and you'll find some for reasonable prices.

Also consider the 9.3x62mm along with your desire for the .35 Whelen, very close cousins for performance. I own a Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3 so possibly biased.

I had a 35 whelen that is now a 9.3x62 less “mysterious headspace” issues that many claim doesn’t exist…..

Last edited:
Very interested. Can you send pics, price to [redacted]
Hi @Rifleman1st, Your private information was removed from your post for privacy reasons. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system, thank you.

As per our posting guidelines:
It is not okay to post your own personal information or post links to your personal information, including but not limited to email addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or identification numbers. If you want to provide someone else your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system.

Looking for a good bear/moose rifle that won't cost an arm and leg. 35 Whelen
@Rifleman1st
The Whelen is a great round whe loaded properly it is even better. A 225gn at 28 to 2,900 fps or a 250gr at 2,700fps will take care of any game in America you want to hunt.
About to 400 yards it will go anything the 338WM will.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!