Reaction score
Website
www.kenaikinglodge.com
Member of
SCI
Hunted
SA, Tanzania
Hello,

I am beginning my search for a 2015 Leopard Hunt. I have hunted several times in SA and in Tanzania this past year, a couple of my buddies took leopards, but they were very expensive. There have been some amazing last minute deals on leopard via this site, I can go on short notice, so I can wait for one to pop up next year. But I would rather plan out the trip ahead of time. I will also be out in Vegas this year at SCI. A couple of my hunting buddies will be hunting with me interested in plains game hunting and some culling. Looking strongly at Namibia, but am still open to ideas.

Thanks in Advance,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the forum!
We currently have a cancellation Leopard available for this year in Namibia, but will alternatively also be able to help you in 2015. Please let me know if I can send you more information.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Hi Jeff

A kind word of advice . A cheap leopard hunt is exactly that -- cheap. Sure there are hunters who get a cat on a cheap hunt , but more often than not , they are hunts conducted in marginal leopard areas , and success is predictably low. Do your research , talk to outfitters with long standing records and ask for multiple references -- and call them up.
There is no such thing as a guaranteed leopard hunt , but you can start to stack the odds in your favour by hunting with the right outfit in the right area.

Happy hunting

Hi Jeff

A kind word of advice . A cheap leopard hunt is exactly that -- cheap. Sure there are hunters who get a cat on a cheap hunt , but more often than not , they are hunts conducted in marginal leopard areas , and success is predictably low. Do your research , talk to outfitters with long standing records and ask for multiple references -- and call them up.
There is no such thing as a guaranteed leopard hunt , but you can start to stack the odds in your favour by hunting with the right outfit in the right area.

Happy hunting

I have to agree with Jan. I think Leopard hunting is probably the dangerous game hunt, where the most hunters get taken for rides by shady outfits. Our outfitter on the ground in Namibia must have one of the highest success rates in the country.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff

I would do some research and find a good PH that has an opening for Leopard for Next year (2015).

What country are you looking to go with?

In West Nicholson, Zimbabwe, Jonathan Collett with Touch Africa Safaris usually has 4 leopards available that are taken yearly in his hunting area.

In 2012, i was able to shoot some bait animals (zebra & impala"s) and the leopards were on bait when the 2 hunters showed up for their hunt and both hunters were able to take 2 nice leopards on their 1st day in the blind. Very lucky to do that by the way.

I am not sure what pricing for a leopard hunt is now, however you should be able to do a internet search and find out.

Or PM me and i will give you their web address.

Welcome to AH.

There are a number of good outfitters/PH's/agents that are members here that can help you out.

As Jan and Marius mentioned. A cheap leopard hunt is not always your best choice. There are a number of people who have gone on 3-4+ leopard hunts to get one...or not. As you mentioned, sometimes a quality place will have an inexpensive hunt.

Enjoy the process of determining where you want to go. That's a big part of the fun.

Looking forward to your participation on the site. Hopefully we will be reading about your successful leopard hunt soon!

All the best.

I have to agree with Jan. I think Leopard hunting is probably the dangerous game hunt, where the most hunters get taken for rides by shady outfits. Our outfitter on the ground in Namibia must have one of the highest success rates in the country.
Plus way more than one!!!!

Richie Schultz, my PH in ZIM, has had just over an 80% success rate over the last few years and only missed on one this year and they had males on bait for that one. It just didn't work out.

Now with Chifuti that is a 28k hunt per there website for daily fees and trophy. But, those Toms are big and the success rate is outstanding.

If you do a $15k hunt and have to go three times which hunt is cheaper? Yes, you could get lucky but I would rather play the odds. When I do leopard and I plan to it will be with an outfit that has a great success rate. If I still don't get one, that's hunting.

Jeff, drop me an email i'm sure i can steer you in the right direction for a good hunt at a reasonable cost.

Hi Jeff

Happy hunting

Hello,

I never said "cheap". But do I think a leopard hunt is worth 28k? Just because someone will pay that, no. After all this is the "Great Deal" area of the site. I do know some outfitters have to buy tags ahead of time and don't get them sold toward the end of the season, hence a deal comes available. Thanks for the advice.

Jeff,

unfortunately like in all businesses people charge what the market will bear. Leopards are popular and the price has really gone up the past few years. But Shumba is right. By doing your homework and not picking a hunt based on price alone, you are putting odds in your favor for a good hunt. There are some great deals out there especially in the late season, but late in the season it can be a very hard hunt, sometimes its better to wait a year save a few more bucks and do the hunt you want.

Hi Jeff

I'm worried that you understood me wrong. I only want to give you the heads up on what's happening in the hunting industry as far as leopard hunts are concerned. And this is what this site is about. Right ? I really want to help you.
Take note of what people tell you , especially if they've done it before. Listen to guys like James , he's sold more leopard hunts than most people on this site. There are a lot of unscrupulous outfitters out there . Its so easy to bag a hunter on a great leopard deal and make him shoot plains game only , knowing the chances of bagging a cat is slim. As far as $ 28 k for a cat hunt is concerned , I think its a great deal if his success record is close to 100 % and he shoots good cats. Leopard hunting is unlike any other hunting you will ever do in Africa. You have to hunt a really good cat area with a really good cat guy. Period. There are too many things that can go wrong.
so , DO NOT book a leopard hunt with the guy that SAYS he's the expert and looks the part. Get references , check hunting reports. The fact that Mr. White hunted with xyz outfitter and got a cat and now thinks that XYZ is THE cat hunter out there , means Nothing. Now , if 5 different hunters tell you that , some of them seasoned African hunters , you might start thinking. Ask the outfitter for the contact particulars of a hunter that did not get his leopard...
I will leave you with some food for thought. There is a well known outfitter that is active on another forum that has a beautiful website , it has an impressive write up on Leopard hunting , and it gives some info on the hunt that makes one believe he knows what he is doing. The site also sports a picture of a hunter with a beautiful leopard. He books leopard hunts every year. He has never , ever bagged a leopard. Maybe he does this year , so the fake picture can come off and a real one added. I'm sure this guy will make you the deal of a life time if you asked him.

I honestly hope you get your cat someday Jeff , its one of the most memorable occasions of ones life.

Happy hunting

Hello Jeff

We will have two tags for our concession in Mozambique for 2015, you would be able to add sable, eland and some other plains game. This is our own concession, not hunting through a middle man.

Hi Jeff have you found the Leopard hunt you are looking for?

If not, AH members can continue to be on the look out for you. As some come available, we can find them and point them out, however you have to research them to see if they are what you are looking for.

Leopards might be something that is not yet available at this time of the year. I recently talked to our wildlife department, application forms for Leopard tags in Limpopo will only be available from 01 November.

I am sure you will find what you are looking for at around January when the results are released.

Good luck Jeff

I just had a cancellation on some prime dates in Namibia, with a top notch outfitter. If you are interested please drop me an email.

Jeff worth mentioning I booked a leopard hunt in Namibia for next year. My hunt is 15k but I will say this I only pay for the leopard if taken. If no leopard is taken $8500 comes off the top. So for me that's a lot if incentive to produce. After speaking with my taxidermist who is a world wide hunter he agreed that's the way to go, pay the trophy fee hunt. By the way bait is included.

What do you experienced gentlemen call a "cheap leopard hunt". I m interested because I have a cat hunt booked in Namibia next year where I pay only if the leopard is taken

Hello,

I never said "cheap". But do I think a leopard hunt is worth 28k? Just because someone will pay that, no. After all this is the "Great Deal" area of the site. I do know some outfitters have to buy tags ahead of time and don't get them sold toward the end of the season, hence a deal comes available. Thanks for the advice.

I would say it all depends on the quality of the area, leopard and success rates, once again this is my opinion, but why should the, most difficult member of the Big 5 to hunt successfully be under sold, and especially if a ph or outfitter is good at it?
Why are 99,9% of the 25 - 35k leopard sold more than a year in advance, in many cases?
I know ,I know :) I was in a position this year that I had to cut the pricing on a leopard safari but I received a late season additional tag.

Always be sure(and very rarely will a outfitter admit to this) but ask him why does he have a November 10k or 14k leopard hunt available...

Could it be that there might have been 2 strikes before your arrival?

Always be sure to check on baits are they included? This adds up quickly.
Apart from other obvious costs.

Then a 12k cat can very quickly turn into a 30k leopard especially on a second attempt to harvest one....potentially even more if one was to consider flights and potential loss of income should you be a business owner back home, and something goes pear shaped while you are hunting.

In all honesty one can charge whatever one likes.
I have seen (out of plain and simple learning experience) that with all the work involved, time, effort, into Preparation and the safari itself that those who dedicate their life to leopard hunting are on the higher spectrum and IMO so are they're success rate. :)

My very best always.

Johnnyblues I think you booked the best kind of leopard hunt.You pay the trophy fee when cat is taken.That is the one thing I have seen I do not really like about these hunts.Ever other animal you pay when the animal is taken but for some reason the leopard is not always like that.

AS for why some cost more then others its simple more people want to hunt them then there is tag to do so.That equals they can charge what they want to for them.Do they need to charge that for them to make money on a hunt?I would say no but then can so they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg