Wanted 12 Bore Number 4 Buckshot & Lead BB

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Good evening gentlemen ,

I am in the need for two different kinds of 12 bore shells :

1) 12 gauge 3 inch Magnum lead BB shells ( any brand will do , but I prefer Winchester or Federal or Remington )
2 ) 12 gauge 3 inch Magnum number 4 buckshot shells ( any brand will do , but I would prefer Winchester or Federal or Remington )

If any of our forum members are interested in selling me either ( or both ) of these shells , then please do get in touch .

With very best wishes ,

Anayeth

Hi @Professor Mawla

I was in the cabelas near my home yesterday.. They had 3" BB steel (not lead) in stock.. I'd be happy to pick some of these up for you if you are interested.

Lead BB is very difficult to find here for the last few years.. For the most part BB is used by waterfowlers that are hunting large geese and we are required to use steel shot over water in the US these days..

I know Winchester was still making a small amount of lead BB in 12 gauge 3" a few years ago and selling it as a "varmint" round.. but I havent seen it on the shelves at any gun store or big outdoors retailer in quite some time..

#4 buckshot in 3" magnum should be available somewhere in the US.. its not nearly as popular as other buckshot here.. but its still produced by the major manufacturers.. most 12 gauge #4 here is 2 3/4 rather than 3".. but I do know that Remington and Winchester both still make 3" #4 and occasionally see it online (but havent seen it in a store anywhere for as long as I can remember..)..

Hi @Professor Mawla

I was in the cabelas near my home yesterday.. They had 3" BB steel (not lead) in stock.. I'd be happy to pick some of these up for you if you are interested.

Lead BB is very difficult to find here for the last few years.. For the most part BB is used by waterfowlers that are hunting large geese and we are required to use steel shot over water in the US these days..

I know Winchester was still making a small amount of lead BB in 12 gauge 3" a few years ago and selling it as a "varmint" round.. but I havent seen it on the shelves at any gun store or big outdoors retailer in quite some time..

#4 buckshot in 3" magnum should be available somewhere in the US.. its not nearly as popular as other buckshot here.. but its still produced by the major manufacturers.. most 12 gauge #4 here is 2 3/4 rather than 3".. but I do know that Remington and Winchester both still make 3" #4 and occasionally see it online (but havent seen it in a store anywhere for as long as I can remember..)..
@mdwest
Thank you very much for your insightful response . I intend to purchase them as a gift , for a close friend of mine who owns an AYA Matador 12 bore double barreled box-lock non ejector side by side shotgun ( which features 3 inch chambers ) . For all of my personal wild fowling applications , I currently prefer the old 36 gram Eley Alphamax AAA 2 3/4 inch shells .

Professor Mawla,
I've looked around online for in stock sources of 4 buck or lead BB and they are seemingly nonexistent. However I found limited quantities of a few NOS boxes on Gunbroker. I will say, without a doubt, the Federal 3" premium buffered, copper plated, magnum lead BB load out of a full choke bore was the most effective large waterfowl/large upland bird round I ever used for wing shooting/scientific collecting purposes back in the day immediately prior to nontoxic regs. I used them for wing shooting large Canada geese and greater sandhill cranes. And years prior to that we effectively used the #4 buck loads for wing shooting large Canada geese.

Here's a couple links to, I think, currently active Gunbroker listings. There are a few offerings scattered on GB, but very hard to come by no matter the source. I just entered 12ga 3" BB or 4 buck into the GB search engine and browsed around. The only comparables currently available in stock retail, might be the Hevi Shot or Tungsten loads.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.02 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.03 PM.png
    932.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.05 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.14 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.16.15 PM.png
    803.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Professor Mawla,
I've looked around online and in stock sources of 4 buck or lead BB is nonexistent. However I found limited quantities of a few NOS boxes on Gunbroker. I will say, without a doubt, the Federal 3" premium buffered, copper plated BB load out of a full choke bore was the most effective large waterfowl/large upland bird round I ever used for wing shooting/scientific collecting purposes back in the day immediately prior to nontoxic regs. I used them for wing shooting large Canada geese and greater sandhill cranes. And years prior to that we effectively used the #4 buck loads for wing shooting large Canada geese.

Here's a couple links to, I think, currently active Gunbroker listings. There are a few offerings scattered on GB, but very hard to come by no matter the source.
@fourfive8
Thank you very much for your assistance . This is exactly what I was searching for .

Professor, I knew EXACTLY the loads you were asking about when I saw your post because I had used those exact shells... in a previous life. :) Hope you can find some for your friend. I knew one of technicians and top consultant at the Federal ballistics lab when the copper plated, buffered loads were developed.

I’d be REAL CAREFUL using steel shot in any older shotgun. The information I’ve found is that if the shotgun is older than the early 80s and if the barrel doesn’t have replaceable choke tubes, you can’t use steel shot as the barrel steel isn’t hard enough? I have a lightweight Remington 1100 20ga WITH choke tubes from about 1984, and I can’t use steel shot in it. You CAN use Bismuth shot in the older shotguns. FYI

Last edited:
Professor, I knew EXACTLY the loads you were asking about when I saw your post because I had used those exact shells... in a previous life. :) Hope you can find some for your friend. I knew one of technicians and top consultant at the Federal ballistics lab when the copper plated, buffered loads were developed.
@fourfive8
You are quite an insightful gentleman . I believe that Federal began to manufacture copper plated buckshot shells , as part of their “ Premium ‘ line in 1988 . Unless I am very mistaken . Federal Premium copper plated buckshot shells first came to Bangladesh in 1996 . Imported in bulk , by Bangladesh Shooting Federation ( BSF ) .

Yes, that time line seems about right for the buckshot loads with the shot and BB loads available some earlier. The early to mid 80s, IIRC, marked the final collection phase for completing a fairly large, statistically valid sample of the three main subgroups of sandhill cranes in North America. The Federal Premium shot shell proved to be exceptionally effective for the purpose of collecting on the wing. Shortly after that, Winchester came out with a comparable 12 ga 3" copper plated, buffered shot shell that was also ballistically very effective. For collecting on the ground, a frangible bullet from a 222 Rem varmint rifle proved effective and safe from ricochet potential out to about 250 yards. The collected birds provided tissue samples for DNA analysis and skeletons for morphometric racial separation, some later distributed to the ornithological collections of various universities.

Last edited:
How much of it do you need.. I have access to a lot of the 3" federal premium 4 buck.. and what is your budget a box for it.. I need to get it in 10 box minimums..

I believe you have dual citizenship, Professor. Where do you need this ammo sent? I have owned two AYA Matador extractor doubles in my lifetime, and am sympathetic to your friend's need. BTW, when the last US state outlawed lead shot for waterfowl (Idaho 90-91) the coarse lead was dumped on the market. It was not uncommon to see the best (Federal Premium and Win XX Magnum) in BB's and 2's at gunshows for $5 a box of 25 rounds. Alas, those days are gone but perhaps Jager has you covered. If not, I will look.............regards......FW Bill

I believe you have dual citizenship, Professor. Where do you need this ammo sent? I have owned two AYA Matador extractor doubles in my lifetime, and am sympathetic to your friend's need. BTW, when the last US state outlawed lead shot for waterfowl (Idaho 90-91) the coarse lead was dumped on the market. It was not uncommon to see the best (Federal Premium and Win XX Magnum) in BB's and 2's at gunshows for $5 a box of 25 rounds. Alas, those days are gone but perhaps Jager has you covered. If not, I will look.............regards......FW Bill
@flatwater bill
Thank you very much for your kind offer . I shall be contacting you shortly . The ammunition needs to be sent , at an American address . Do you possess the lead BB or the 3 inch number 4 buckshot shells ? I shall gladly pay you whatever you originally spent , to purchase this ammunition .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg