Want to buy Safari Binos

So would you guys say the general consensus is for Africa Bino’s a 8x32 would be a good catch all and all you need for PG and DG hunts or is it ideal to get a 10x42 with range for the PG hunts? How important is it to have range capability for PG hunts?

Thanks

So would you guys say the general consensus is for Africa Bino’s a 8x32 would be a good catch all and all you need for PG and DG hunts or is it ideal to get a 10x42 with range for the PG hunts? How important is it to have range capability for PG hunts?

Thanks

8x32 is great for Africa. If you need a rangefinder inside 400 yards you do not know your rifle well enough. I doubt you will find many 400+ shots in Africa other than some specialized hunts.

I have two. One is a 10x50 swarwo, another is 20x80 military marine steiner. The third one is a pocket bono's. Forget the specs.
Krish

8x32 is great for Africa. If you need a rangefinder inside 400 yards you do not know your rifle well enough. I doubt you will find many 400+ shots in Africa other than some specialized hunts.
Fair, but range estimation is a perishable skill. Having the advantage of the "actual" range from RF binos can be invaluable.

Fair, but range estimation is a perishable skill. Having the advantage of the "actual" range from RF binos can be invaluable.

I shoot a lot so I’m probably not the right one to say (My range is 100 yards from our house with steel at 100, 200, 300, 400 & 600). However, I would think most shooters could estimate close enough. Set your PG rig up with a 200 yard zero with a decent cartridge. This will mean a dead hold to 250’ish, +99% of anything I’ve seen in Africa. 300 to 350 is a top third hold, 400 ish is a spine maybe a little daylight hold.

I use a Sig Kilo5K but honestly wouldn’t bother at the ranges you will see in Africa. This changes completely if you are sniping baboon at extended range or on one of the specialized mountain hunts.

If hunting with a guide whose job it is to carefully scope out game quality at distance, bino's are less important to the actual hunter, than some might think.
As often as not when hunting with a guide, at least in Africa, rather than have them hanging around my neck most of the time, the guide has his, and often the tracker too, me having them is redundant and I often leave them in the car.
Its all different when the hunter is alone on a deer or elk hunt on home ground, and needs to count tines, but when on a guided hunt, no big deal.

I didn't go through all 11 pages of this, but wondering if you found the binos you wanted? I have 2 Swarovski 8X30's for sale. Both are just returned from Swaro factory service/clean and tune-up. Can send more detail and pictures if interested. Classic Tier 1 glass. Thanks
IMG_3243.jpg

Yeah I bout 2 pair of Lieca. Thanks for the offer though. Shoot me a PM with the price on a pair of those. I bought myself a larger pair of range finding binos and got the wife some pocket binos. I might need a smaller pair for myself as well

Thanks
8x32 is alll you need 8x42 max rather spend the bucks on quality 8x32......

Will do, though I have to do some research. Not really sure on value right now. Great move on the Leicas. They make beautiful stuff.

Biggest issue is a visting client dicking around with over powered binis, not knowing what to look for instead of being on the sticks with a rifle and cinsintrating on the shot.....

I'm interested in one of them, how are you doing?
So far I cannot complain. They are obviously not the quality of image of a 8x32 from Swarovski, but they are nice and clear. A bit of blur around the edges, but nothing too much.

Took them with me to a zoo two weeks ago, and I could readily imagine myself carrying these on a DG hunt. They are a bit heavier than I expected them to be. The eye cups when rotating them, feel a bit finnicky, but then again I picked these up at 300 EUR. They should do the job very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois