AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day to all members, I believe all is well and good on your side ? Members I am in need to buy re-loading dies for the .338 Imperial Magnum. Any information would be welcome and much appreciated.

Not that anyone here knows what that cartridge is, maybe you could enlightened us? I have a .338WM, so maybe you could extrapolate the Imperial Magnum from that cartridge and maybe one of the members here has a set of dies buried in their memory/gun room?

Imperial sounds British, as in Imperial Cartridge Corp.?

Members thank you kindly for your input. CoElkHunter , the Imperial Magnum caliber is the parent case design for all the calibers we know as the short Magnums and a lot of all the new caliber designs manufactured by Winchester ...known as the Winchester Short Magnums...The Imperial Magnum has a great history behind its design , the designer Aubrey White of Canada. He was the first originator by using the most perfect deigned 404 Jeffery/Schuler casing to neck it up or down without any changes to the 404 Jeffery casing at all..keeping all it`s perfect dimensions.

I am not collecting rifles the normal rifle collector ..I am focusing only on all the scarce calibers based/developed from the perfect 404 Jeffery casing...like the 9.3 x70 DMW /Shulher ..
I did receive a great history compilation of the origin of the Imperial Magnum`s history from the inventor himself , Aubrey White , living in Canada that I will share with all the members..
My next caliber I need to get hold of the reamer/gauges/re-loading dies is the 404 Magnum , designed by the German rifle companies before the second world war ..

Wasn’t that a line of proprietary rounds from a Canadian company? If I remember I think they were similar to the RUM rounds.
The RUM cartridge was copied from the Imperial Magnum design after the Imperial Magnum design failed due to poor quality brass made in South America and delivery was one year too late ..financially the Imperial Magnum corporation shut down and do not exist anymore...after that Winchester and other companies copied the design and hence the many, many other designs like the Winchester Short Magnums, Dakota and a lot of other calibers came on the market based on the Imperial Magnum

Interesting? You’ll have to contact the Redding die company and see if they could make the dies for you. They make many unconventional/wildcat cartridge dies.

CH4D specializes in odd dies.

I have made dies for several odd cartridges, but you need the chambering reamers to do so. 9.3 x 70 comes to mind, the 404 Jeff brass necked to 9.3 and blown out a little.

The top die has an interchangeable neck size bushing.

LRO6s74.jpg
TPA8EFU.jpg

Making different cartridges on 404 Jeff brass is nothing new, folks have been doing this for decades.

I built a 9.3x70 rifle after reading Harald Wolf's article in Hatari about the 9.3x70 that Mauser built for Goering, think it was prior to WWII.

Reamers by Dave of PTG way back when PTG had a good reputation, some 20 years ago.

I would enjoy reading your articles.

Making the Magnum dies would be easy, would take some time to obtain the reamers. If you have a chamber or cartridge drawing it would help. Chances are Dave Kiff has the drawings.

Dies are easy to make in my shop:

61fyd47.jpg
iT1Ctb1.jpg
wRCIJhD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
John, you are a talented person for sure..I will get the reamers for both calibres, the 9.3 x 70 as well as the .338 Imperial Magnum..it seems if I can buy a piece of straight barrel blank for ever calibre I will be able to make it as well...a piece of 9.3 barrel blank and a piece of barrel blank of a .338 diameter .. John what is the designated description caliber for the 9.3 x 70 in these photos??? DWM or Shuler???

John, cost to make the reloading dies for the .338 Imperial Magnum???
My good German Friend HWL already bought me the 9.3 x 70 DWM re-loading dies...I only need a set of .338 Imperial Magnum dies ...I do get the reamer and gauges with 140 brass casings to enable me to re-load ..I will use standard 404 Jeffery brass to fire-form some extra .338 Imperial Magnum brass...

John, you have a beautiful workshop with all these great machines..Now I know of three 9.3 x 70 DWM rifles build ...I thought there have been only two, Herman Goering and a gunsmith in Belgium...
John I do have the original blue print of the .338 Imperial Magnum with all the measurements ..would you make me the re-loading dies ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!