Walk across Africa

As the world seems to be going to S**t rather quickly, we should all grab the guns we previously mentioned, and take ourselves a little walk. There's a great fantasy hunt for you spike,,, all of us picking up our favorite guns/calibers (wouldn't that be a sight), plenty of boose and antibiotics and hunting whatever the hell we wanted, all the way across that beautiful continent.

I suppose my old Sako L61-R in .338 WM, I ve had it for the last 25 years, trust it and feel quite comfortable with it.

With the right bullets, you could take anything with it.

as you are ex rhodesian ............? regiment i wouldnt have expected anything else but a G1 FN!!

I can never be an 'Ex' Rhodesian....Full on Rhodesian til I die! SB actually!! There can be no more of us...we're a dying breed and will be extinct by 2050!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can never be an 'Ex' Rhodesian....Full on Rhodesian til I die! SB actually!! There can be no more of us...we're a dying breed and will be extinct by 2050!:)

..Oi, Boet, I might make it past that..! :biggrin2:

jeez with you lot i know that!!:) i was talking about being ex members of certain regiments, but then again you never ex of those either :)

As the world seems to be going to S**t rather quickly, we should all grab the guns we previously mentioned, and take ourselves a little walk. There's a great fantasy hunt for you spike,,, all of us picking up our favorite guns/calibers (wouldn't that be a sight), plenty of boose and antibiotics and hunting whatever the hell we wanted, all the way across that beautiful continent.

these days i think you might need at least one of the type your president is trying to ban!!!!!

The .404 I chose earlier is long gone now, but have any number of other choices. For pure classic nostalgia, I might choose an excellent shooting post 64 Winchester 70 in .300 Hollands magnum, or a pre 64 type newer 70 in .338 Win. Both are great rifles.

The .404 I chose earlier is long gone now, but have any number of other choices. For pure classic nostalgia, I might choose an excellent shooting post 64 Winchester 70 in .300 Hollands magnum, or a pre 64 type newer 70 in .338 Win. Both are great rifles.

yeah doesnt seem like 5 years ago when i started it.......:(

I like the question! So I think if one wanted to walk across Africa in the 1880's....and wanted to arrive alive....they'd better carry a rifle that could stop a determined charge from the largest beast found along the way. So, you'd have to be able to stop an Elephant. Even the "unmentionable" .375 is marginal as a charge-stopper. I'd go with one of the .416s. Probably a .416 Rigby out of nostalgia....except it wouldn't really be nostalgic as the .416 Rigby hadn't been invented yet. Now I'm confusing myself.

Since you tied my hands on my favorite calibre, that would be the obvious choice. I would have to go with the 404 Jeffrey. It is a little much for some of the plains game but will get the job done, and be a fantastic round for the bigger stuff. With this gun I would take anything that came across my path.

400 H&H in a Brno ZKK 602. I genuinely believe this is a superb caliber, and this is a superb gun. 370gr cutting edge safari Raptors with those little tips for a better BC general purpose round and 400 grain solids for those creatures at either end of the size spectrum.

Very fun thread! :)

My Krieghoff Drilling, 9,3x74R, 12/12 ga.....

id take my scope sighted encore in 9.3x74r with my 286 gr woodliegh hydro solids.

Oh, I like this "what if..." kind of thinking.

Spontaneously, I would have said either of my Sakos in 404J or 9.3x62... but it would sure be handy to have a shotgun as well to get a more varied diet. But considering I'd have to walk, and supposedly be carrying the ammo, I don't think I'd go with a drilling/combination gun after all. The meat/ammo ratio is just too low.

So it is back to the original choice between the 9.3 or the 404. And I think that the 404 will be the one. With 400gr A-Frames. Certainly not the best for everything, but good enough for most. And it should be able to sort out any interesting situations that might occur.

I would take my 9.3x74R/12ga combination gun.

Reactions: HWL
I think it would depend on whether the journey was the objective, or if I needed to be in Moz for some reason, and the journey was just to get there.

The reason for that is simple. Shooting a buffalo if you're on your way somewhere is going to result in a huge waste of meat. You can certainly eat your fill, and maybe carry a few days supply with you, but you would leave most of it to rot. More likely, you would be shooting impala and small plains game, so that you can have fresh meat most days, and carry a bit for the days when you don't see anything. For these, my .300 WinMag would be ideal. Lighter than a bigger bore, but allows you to take pretty much anything short of buffalo, rhino and elephant (although in a pinch, if I was a Bell-type shot (which I'm not, but since I'm dreaming, sure, of course I am), then it could work on those animals as well).

On the other hand, if I were taking my time, seeing the sights, walking and then spending time in one place or another, and especially if there were a few of us, then larger game might make sense. In that case, I would have a .416 Rigby, which will still allow me to get some plains game at reasonable distances, but also the bigger stuff. And I'd have help carrying the heavier gun and ammo.

As for charges, neither of these rifles is really a charge stopper, but if I don't shoot at things I shouldn't with my .300, then I shouldn't have to worry about charges.

If I do worry about charges, then I should be moving up to something like the .450 Rigby, the .458 Lott or bigger. But those aren't very useful everyday rifles, so for the purposes of this question, I choose never have to deal with a charge. Or, better yet, stop worrying so much.

Bullets would be Barnes in all cases.

I'd take a standard issue, Liberal Media AR-15 - those can kill anything! Plus unlimited Ammo is included. It's like a wizard staff for hunters.

I'd be more concerned about the walk and the weight I'd be carrying so I would have to go with something light, handy and effective at 300 yards. A scoped Merkel K3 in 308 or 7 x 57R would be a good choice, now if I had a porter to carry that 11 pound DG rifle I'd look at a double in 450/400.

Interesting reborn thread Mike. With the elimination of the 3_ _

404J

9.3x62

I guess I am not very unique since several have already given these. Perhaps it is just great minds!

Wonder how a 338 would perform on dg.:whistle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois