Waiting for draw results

Utah has decent odds for mtn goat still but neither of my girls drew and I killed mine almost ten years ago. Both my girls drew general rifle deer tags this year but no other tags in our house.
I was in for book cliffs bighorn sheep, archery deer on San Juan elk ridge and general archery.
We still have hopes for the girls in Wyoming but I drew deer and antelope last year so doubtful this season. Those teenage girls keep us hoppin!

15 year old shot this buck on the general last year. Sitting on her bum using sticks at 300 yards. I would've bet my house she was gonna miss. . .
Federal fusion 120gr broke both shoulders and took top of the heart apart, and was just under the skin on far side. Dad was much more excited than daughter

IMG_1349.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the dreaded email from Utah arrived 25 minutes ago. No surprises, just confirmation.
UNSUCCESSFUL on all apps
Now I can apply for Idaho :)
I got the same one! I got a better chance of getting a sheep with my pickup than ever drawing a tag to hunt one! Good luck in ID!

I got the same one! I got a better chance of getting a sheep with my pickup than ever drawing a tag to hunt one! Good luck in ID!
Thanks Cody! Much appreciated. Good luck on your hunts this year (y)
I thought the same thing until 2012 & 2013. Figured I had a chance at drawing moose eventually in Idaho, but sheep? Probably not.
Well, I drew moose in 2012. Holy crap!
Next year I turned right around and drew one of the best sheep tags in Idaho. Unit 26 Late tag. Not the most difficult to draw, but the most remote and always produces good rams.
So take heart everyone! Lightning will strike, sometimes twice :)
@jeff , @enysse , @Bullthrower338 , @LivingTheDream , I really hope we're celebrating your success next year. You guys have all paid your dues for sure!!!

@Firebird, one nice mule deer for your daughter

@Savage Hunter try Idaho for moose and Wyoming for Mountain goat. Utah is ok but I don't want the competition, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mountain goats are relatively easier to draw in Montana and Idaho.........

@enysse the only thing I don't like about Idaho is that you can't really figure out the non resident odds. But those odds do seem pretty good!

Agreed. The Idaho draw is a bit of a double edged sword for non-residents. The odds are a bit shifty o_O
You guys that apply for Idaho probably already know this and I may be telling Noah about the flood. However, it seems like there is a lot of confusion about how it actually works.
The thing I think is unique and advantageous about the structure of the Idaho draw is that it actually allows non-residents the same odds of drawing a tag as residents. All applicants go into the same draw pool together, resident and non-resident alike. Up to the point in time when 10% of the tags have gone to non-res apps, you have just as good a chance as a resident. If the 10% max is reached, then non-residents can no longer draw the tag. Your odds just went from resident draw odds to zero.
I personally love the Idaho random draw and I hope Idaho never goes to a bonus point system. I play that game in a few other western states and I hate it! You esentially have to plan NOT to draw a tag for many years. I have accumulated bonus points into the teens for elk, deer, bear, sheep, etc in Utah and am still years away from drawing tags. It sucks. But it is a revenue generator for the states.
The IDF&G commisioners have been fighting a battle against politicians in this state who are trying to bully and blackmail them into adopting a bonus point system.
I hope they are not successful...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.