Hookboy88

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hello all, I have been lurking on this page for sometime reading hunt reports and just gathering information. This page is a wealth of information!
I am from the Appalachian Mountains and planning my first African hunt next year. I want to hunt Namibia, with primary target animals being Kudu, Gemsbok, and Hartmann Zebra.
I was wondering if I would have any problems get the zebra skin back to the States if I was fortunate enough to harvest one?

Welcome aboard Hookboy88. I had no trouble getting my Zebra imported to the States from South Africa. However if you want to be sure contact Laura Durbin at D & L Customs Brokers. All skins, capes , horns etc. coming from Africa need to go through a clearing house. You will find that AH is an excellent resource. You can get straight forward answers from guys that have been down the road you want to travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard Hookboy88. I had no trouble getting my Zebra imported to the States from South Africa. However if you want to be sure contact Laura Durbin at D & L Customs Brokers. All skins, capes , horns etc. coming from Africa need to go through a clearing house. You will find that AH is an excellent resource. You can get straight forward answers from guys that have been down the road you want to travel.
Thank you! I will get in contact with her.

I thought the "mountain zebra"forgot the official name, was illegal to import into the U.S.
No?

Welcome to AH. You’re right, if you have any questions, there are a lot of people on this forum that have “been there, done that” and are more than willing to assist.
I’m not sure about the zebra, but as Shootist43 suggests, get in touch with D&L. They handled the importation on my first safari. It went off without a hitch.

I thought the "mountain zebra"forgot the official name, was illegal to import into the U.S.
No?

Hartmann's Zebra = Mountain Zebra, last I looked it was no problem bringing them in.

Hartmanns Mtn Zebra is a CITES animal.

Common name: Hartmann's Mountain Zebra
Scientific name: Equus zebra hartmannae
CITES listing: Appendix II

Yes as long as you have the proper hunting permits to obtain a CITES export permit to import it back to the US. The export of hunting trophies of species listed in Appendix I or II should be conditional upon issuance of a CITES export permit.

Attached pdf doc: Trade in hunting trophies of species listed in Appendix I or II

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...tain-zebra-from-south-africa-to-the-us.44057/

Hookboy88, glad to have you on AH! Have fun planning your adventure!

Welcome aboard. Just thinking out loud, after your hunt, you'll probably want to change your username to Hookedboy88. ;)

Welcome aboard. Just thinking out loud, after your hunt, you'll probably want to change your username to Hookedboy88. ;)
Haha! Even in the planning stages I am more excited than any other Hunt I have done yet. Been a dream since I was a little boy to hunt Africa. And I acknowledged the fact if I don’t go now then it will just be one of those “One day I will” things.

Welcome!!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH! You should have no problems exporting any of the animals you are looking for in Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg