WAIST/BUTT/FANNY PACK

I guess there is a general consensus...
Pockets...you have pockets in your pants and shirts don't you? Strap on an ammo belt with a knife and you will want for very little else. Still feeling like you left something behind? Alright...safari vest will cover the rest.

Hard NO on the fanny pack.

I'll ditch the fanny pack idea and sew pockets onto my pedalpushers. Just hope I don't have to cut off my man bun...

Back in the day, a bum pack was part of our standard webbing. I don't remember any woftams making snide 'man bun' comments.

1655858538286.png

My ammo belt holds: ammo slide, knife, water bottle, and possibles pouch. I can’t think what else I would carry in a Fanny pack. Perhaps tampons? (Sorry, couldn’t help myself)!
Tampons make great tinder for starting fires, nothing wrong with carrying one or two in your pack.

If it won't fit on the belt or in a pocket it is on the land cruiser (I often bring a serious camera) or in camp.

Tampons make great tinder for starting fires, nothing wrong with carrying one or two in your pack.
A lesson I learned about starting fires while elk hunting in very cold, wet weather... a road flare will start ANYTHING on fire - a wet stump, willow brush from the creek...

I always carry a couple.

They even put cargo pockets on shorts now if you need more room than your belt can carry. The problem I always had with bum packs in the service was when you ran wearing one it always felt like someone was slapping your arse.

I do have a small, Marmot fanny pack. Olive Green of course. I cut up an old Uncle Mikes elastic belt slide and stitched them to the belt of the pack. 4 extra shots to each side of the pouch in 7mm Rem Mag for my single-shot K1.

I used it maybe 2, 3 times on the hunt and then ended up leaving it in the truck. LESS is MORE.

I put a 5 round belt slide on my belt, one extra round in each pocket, one in the rifle. Slug a bottle of water down, one bottle in the right rear pocket. Binoculars on the right shoulder, cross slung on the left hip…rifle on the right shoulder. Camera in the vest pocket. Chapstick and eye drops in the left chest. Swiss Army Mini-Champ (quite small) in the pocket. Tilley summer hat, no sunglasses.

Let’s get walking.

Less is more. Less is more.

I have a number of day packs, weekend packs, backpacks, etc., but I am wondering if a fanny/butt pack would not be ideal for the few items I need to carry while hunting in Africa this fall. Ideas? Experience?

Thanks.
Hi @Nevada Mike … I finished my 8th PG hunt last Sept & I’m attentive to what my PH‘s feels are essentials on stalk, etc. & for the record: I’ve never seen a PH in Fanny Pack.

I have a small KUIU Daypack that stays tight & centered to my back to avoid thrown bushes when I know we’re trekking from the buggy but on spot/stalk, I’ve relied on a proper design shirt w/ zip pockets (wind check), cargo shorts (water bottle) & proper designed rounds belt.

Happy Trails

Last edited:
I truly despise items in cargo pant pockets . Chaffing is an issue over distance and I feel like a damn private. I see nothing wrong with a well fitted fanny pack. I have carried a passport to hand grenades in them. In a tropical / desert environment a vest or backpack would hold heat a bit more than you need. Could you MOLLE weave or affix a small pouch to your hunting belt? That might be an answer.

for those that experience lower back issues (exacerbated via hunting, carrying weight-even big gun!) consider the fanny packs that feature shoulder straps, to better spread out the load. cabela's has a nice outfitter series, but there are others. use religiously while stalking in America; leave it on the truck while on-safari. as said above, all you need is your gun, binos and maybe some water and/or a knife. had one of the others featuring the "curved tent-pole exoskeleton" and couldn't give it away to fellow hunters! lol it was noisy, wide and annoying. you can carry your rifle on the Cabela's model, but it will not be "at the ready" as it should be on Safari. it's more at-home on a mtn or wilderness hunt.

Mark Sullivan's comments on same (while on Safari) are entertaining: "Man Purse" not to be combined with your "Bino Bra!" haha I happen to like the bino harnesses as it can be adjusted tight to your chest as not to interfere w/ shooting, branches, but as to interfere with claws!

Thanks to all, Very entertaining.

fanny game bags are cooler in hot weather...probably nothing would fall out of one, either.

While trekking through the Acacia or the Devil Thorn of Africa … less becomes more. :sneaky:
EF96EF63-EFB9-4808-8091-BF2FC53AA8FB.jpeg

Lint from a clothes dryer is great fire starter too. Save a bunch and put it in a ziplock bag. Also, no explanation needed when your wife or hunting buddies asks about what you are taking in your pack.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 5.58.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 5.58.15 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 5.58.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 5.58.17 PM.png
    529.9 KB · Views: 30
My ammo belt holds: ammo slide, knife, water bottle, and possibles pouch. I can’t think what else I would carry in a Fanny pack. Perhaps tampons? (Sorry, couldn’t help myself)!
And don’t forget the condom to tape over your barrel in nasty weather. They come in different colors too. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross