Waidmann's Heil

Hammerin' Hank

AH member
Reaction score
I will likely never make it to Africa, but can live vicariously through you fine gentlemen and your tales of the hunt. Should I ever make it there, my primary quarry would be buffalo and kudu. However, once on the ground, I'm sure I would have a primal urge to hunt elephant and lion via tracking. But that would mean a 470 NE, and a 21 day safari, ..... Have only owned one medium bore (330 Dakota) and have a 375 H&H on the way. After many, many guns and calibers, I figure you can kill just about anything you need to with a 270 WIN and 375 H&H, so that is what my battery consists of. A little about me:
· I was born on November 3rd, St. Hubert Day, the patron saint of hunters. (profile is wrong, as is year)
· I killed my first game animal (squirrel) at age 3.
· Received my first guns, Remington 22 repeater and Sears single shot 410, at ages 4 & 5, respectively.
· Shot ducks and hunted turkeys before school and hunted deer afterwards throughout my school years. Kept a rifle and shotgun behind the seat of my truck (back when it was legal) all through hunting season.
· Killed my first deer at age 10 with a Model 94 30-30.
· Have killed over 100 deer in 9 states with bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle. Grew up processing my own meat.
· Have killed elk, whitetail deer, mule deer, turkey, and hogs with gun and bow.
· Have killed more turkeys than I care to think about and now simply love calling for others.
· Started focusing on the HOW and the EXPERIENCE in hunting while in college.
· It began with bows, muzzleloaders and single shot rifles. It then progressed to the quality of game and the nature of the hunt.
· Began reloading in high school.
· Spent a week elk hunting in the Frank Church Wilderness by myself after getting flown in and setting up camp 7 miles from the airstrip.
· After growing up in the south, I have lived in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming and won’t live any place other than the northern Rockies. It is where I was meant to be.
Glad to be here and look forward to the interaction.

Jerome, Thank you, it is great to be here. And in case anyone thinks my title is a little presumptuous, I obtained my German hunting license while stationed there and have the utmost respect for the classes, tests, protocols and traditions of European hunting. Can't wait for Spring bear season......

I will likely never make it to Africa,

Welcome!!!

Africa is amazing.... Be warned, you may just figure out that she is not as far out of reach as you may think by reading here on the site. :)

Welcome! Dont give up, I never thought Africa would be obtainable for me either but I leave June 27th for lion/buff/and PG in RSA. The hardest step is commiting to the decision to going. From there it's just saving pennies and picking your dream hunt.

Ditto what Royal27 and gizmo said. I joined this site dreaming that "one day" I'd make it to Africa. Next thing you know I am booking a trip and in two months from now I'll be on my first hunt there!

I remember when Brushmore first joined and didn't think he'd ever make it. I think that was six months ago! :)

Welcome Hammerin' Hank! I think your present rifle battery is well selected and just about all you'll ever really need.

Glad to have you here. There are a few of us from the NW US. Bruce

Welcome, glad to have another fellow Idahoan.

Welcome to AH.

. . . . in case anyone thinks my title is a little presumptuous, I obtained my German hunting license while stationed there and have the utmost respect for the classes, tests, protocols and traditions of European hunting.

BTW Hank, I forgot to mention that I don't find your title reference to 'Waidmanns Heil' to be at all presumptuous. There may be a little something lost in translation but a traditional German hunting poem or song none the less.

Last edited:
Waidmann's dank friend - and welcome. Earned my German license the same way back in 1975. Fabulous experiences there and then. You can do the African hunt. It isn't cheap, but it is within reach with a bit of patience. I am a retired soldier which tells you what my base retirement salary looks like - not the sterling and crumpets crowd. Yet, I have put together four safaris to Africa and hunted buffalo twice (in wilderness areas). As others have indicated, it something you just have to commit to do. And whenever you go, an extra two or three days is more valuable than any specific trophy.

Welcome Hank, glad to meet a fellow Idahoan. Just a couple years ago I felt the same way you did, but the saying about where there's a will there's a way is absolutely true! I went to dinner with my PH last night and he told us a story about a client he had last year that was in his 80's. He was a great client and they had a blast! Always a way to make dreams come true. Tell yourself it will happen 'cuz you are going to make it happen :)
Depending on where you are at in Idaho I know of several client-hosted dinners taking place in the next couple weeks in which people can meet a PH and discuss hunts as well as meet other folks who have either been to Africa or are interested in going for the first time.
@flatwater bill is hosting one in Rigby, Idaho for Henry Griffiths on February 27 if you are over in eastern Idaho. Kevin Rich (a close friend and business associate of mine) is hosting one in Middleton next Wednesday the 18th for Jean-Louis with Numzaan Safaris. I'm sure they will both be great events that you would really enjoy. I could provide you more info on the dinner at Kevin's if you are interested.
Also, your choice of rifles makes perfect sense to me (y)

I've hunted Africa twice now.....and only dream of having your hunting experience. You are living the dream. Count your blessings. Africa will haunt you once you hunt her. But the grass will never be greener than where you are already hunting. So tell us your stories. :)

Welcome to AH, never give up on your dreams!

Gday hank
Welcome to AH, enjoy the site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois