W. Förster 9.3x62

Mctrigger

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I recently acquired a 9.3x62 built by W. Förster. She points like a finger with our with out the scope. Can’t wait to get it out. Looks beefy but feels slender. Has some weight in the butt stock. There is some recoiling reducer in there. Perhaps Mercury as I can hear it.

Feel free to share any info on this rifle as there was limited amounts I found online.

1MGG4sIl.jpg
2bcomRrl.jpg
FepNhNFl.jpg
I4mt8Oll.jpg
Pi3x49Yl.jpg
SaHp9Dll.jpg
SpfjWTwl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely rifle and already has a set of rings for those bases. It is a great general purpose North American or European medium heavy caliber.

Lovely indeed...Førster made high quality rifles..bolt and doubles..great find..

Is there a reason that the scope is mounted so high? Or is this just normal in early designs.
May be, this is a "see thru" mount, you could use iron sights without detaching the scope.

HWL

It's a pity that hunting weapons can't tell anything about themselves.
W. Foerster was a gunsmith of Kaiser Wilhelm II.
His workshop was called W.Foerster-Königlicher Hofbüchsenmacher-Berlin.
Congratulations on the purchase.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.24 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.25 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.26 AM.png
    6 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.28 AM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.30 AM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.30 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.05.30 AM 1.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 71
looks like a great rifle and great calibre, especially for the bush in africa
i would put a more versatile scope on there and definately drop it a bit long as it doesnt interfere with the bolt

Outstanding! For those wondering, it appears that the scope is high to accommodate the traditional flag safety. Personally, I wouldn’t change a thing. Accept its idiosyncrasies and honor its history.

Outstanding! For those wondering, it appears that the scope is high to accommodate the traditional flag safety. Personally, I wouldn’t change a thing. Accept its idiosyncrasies and honor its history.
Exactly.

I know we have all had it pounded into our heads to shoot with a tight high cheek weld using the lowest possible scope mounts. I should add, that I prefer that method as well. However, many European and earlier scoped American rifles have considerable drop at heel. This was not only to accommodate open sights, but also a more erect shooting stance with a straighter neck and lower weld to the face.

As many of you know, I have quite a few European rifles from before WWII and with just a little familiarity and practice, they can be shot just as accurately as the straightest stocked rifle emerging from a modern production line.

The scope is high. And the bases are not see
Though. But alignment with it is perfect. I’ll post some maker marks tonight.

The scope is high. And the bases are not see
Though. But alignment with it is perfect. I’ll post some maker marks tonight.

Nothing wrong with some temporary stock riser to get better sight pucture.
Youre lucky with that scope rings easier to swap if something happens since scope is not mounted on objectiv.

Looks nice. Get yourself a nice cheek riser (something in leather) and have at it!

It's true though, those old rifles stocked to shoot irons struggle with optics. I have an FN Commercial in 9.3x62 that I put a little reflex red dot on and even that benefits from a slight cheek riser.

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg