W.D.M. Bell & Mono-metal Solid Bullets

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 5.08.22 PM.png

Here’s an interesting article in which Bell speaks rather fondly of mono-metal solids. I wasn’t aware of any having existed in his day. Granted, this is after his storied career as an ivory hunter, but he was able to gain some experience with the projectiles.

See attached pdf file: Small Bores Versus Big Bores

Attachments

• small-bores-versus-big-bores.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 441
Last edited by a moderator:
Solids have been around in one form or another pretty well since the 1300s. It's only expanding mono metals that are a relatively new phenomenon. In the days before jacketed bullets, much experimentation went on to improve penetration without going up considerably in calibre size. That was really your only option with pure lead bullets. It's amazing how much bullets have changed along with the rules surrounding their performance. Interesting read...thanks for sharing

Fun read but amazing that such an experienced hunter would actually wire both triggers of a double rifle in order to fire almost simultaneously.
What a ridiculous idea.

Fun read but amazing that such an experienced hunter would actually wire both triggers of a double rifle in order to fire almost simultaneously.
What a ridiculous idea.

Likely says a lot about the quality of bullets back them...more truly was better!

I happened to go looking for this article today and was going to post it, but here it is.
A lot of interesting information and experience. Plenty of things that people will forever argue about. Ha ha ha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber