VPA Broadhead Battle--Single Bevel vs Double Bevel video

I’ve used 150 gr VPA 3 blade broadheads with great success on plains game. Solid and well made.

@Bowhuntr64 , thanks for another great video!

Based on some of your previous videos and doing some other research (reading Ashby's works), I decided to work up some 650 gr total weight arrows, using 200 gr broadheads. Back in February, I ordered some 200 gr Iron Will single bevel. Was notified these were "Pre-Order" and told I would likely get them the end of March. Well, it's now end of April and I still don't have my Iron Will broadheads. A few weeks ago, I ordered some VPA 200 gr single bevel broadheads and also some 200 gr field points and they arrived within days. I have yet to try them, and I am stilling holding out hope for the Iron Will to be delivered so I can compare the two.

Check out my latest Broadhead battle. This is a good one.

John Lusk Outdoor Adventures, your videos are just fantastic! I have this one on my short list for purchase for both me and my son whom you assisted recently getting ready for safari.

Is this the best broadhead you've tested as regards to single bevel, cut on contact, two blade for penetration and edge retention? Or is the Iron Will single bevel still better?

The one frustrating thing in the search for the perfect penetration broadhead is they all have some flaw. These guys appear to have corrugations or small ridges on the ferrule rather than a nice smooth, slick ferrule. Why'd they do that!? That eats penetration!

@rookhawk , take a look at John's video where he summarized all his 2020 testing. Jump to about 13:30 to see summary tables.

BTW, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been waiting over 2 months to receive single bevel broadheads from Iron Will. My archery elk hunt is Sept 2023, so I hope they will arrive before then.

@rookhawk , take a look at John's video where he summarized all his 2020 testing. Jump to about 13:30 to see summary tables.

BTW, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been waiting over 2 months to receive single bevel broadheads from Iron Will. My archery elk hunt is Sept 2023, so I hope they will arrive before then.

Thanks. I'm trying to get a comparison from Mr. Lusk @Bowhuntr64 between the Iron Will single bevel and the new VPA single bevel. They are so expensive, I can't afford to drop $500 twice by making the wrong choice. I need the deepest penetrator for my kids to use on low-poundage setups, I'll just use the same broadhead for consistency.

His 2020 testing and 2021 testing system is slightly different so I'm hoping he'd be willing to compare the two results and proclaim the better of the two.

This is an interesting test video, by another tester, on GrizzlyStik Alaskan vs Iron Will. I've watched this video a few times and I've nicknamed it "Lord of the flies."

Thanks. I'm trying to get a comparison from Mr. Lusk @Bowhuntr64 between the Iron Will single bevel and the new VPA single bevel. They are so expensive, I can't afford to drop $500 twice by making the wrong choice. I need the deepest penetrator for my kids to use on low-poundage setups, I'll just use the same broadhead for consistency.

His 2020 testing and 2021 testing system is slightly different so I'm hoping he'd be willing to compare the two results and proclaim the better of the two.

They’re both excellent choices. If you want the bleeder, I’d go with the Iron Will. If just 2 blade, for the price, hard to beat the VPA

@Bowhuntr64 , thanks for another great video!

Based on some of your previous videos and doing some other research (reading Ashby's works), I decided to work up some 650 gr total weight arrows, using 200 gr broadheads. Back in February, I ordered some 200 gr Iron Will single bevel. Was notified these were "Pre-Order" and told I would likely get them the end of March. Well, it's now end of April and I still don't have my Iron Will broadheads. A few weeks ago, I ordered some VPA 200 gr single bevel broadheads and also some 200 gr field points and they arrived within days. I have yet to try them, and I am stilling holding out hope for the Iron Will to be delivered so I can compare the two.

Yeah, IW got overwhelmed with orders. Be careful with some of Ashby’s stuff. The 3:1 MA theory is just not true with higher speed compound bows.

They’re both excellent choices. If you want the bleeder, I’d go with the Iron Will. If just 2 blade, for the price, hard to beat the VPA

@Bowhuntr64 One thing I notice about your testing methodology that may be flawed or incomplete: The size of the ferrule when it meets the insert is a key area that could introduce resistance and drag. Could you document the ferrule sizes? I'm concerned that there could be an enlarged hump or band in some circumstances.

As an anecodotal example, my son uses HIT inserts and Bar rings on his Axis arrows. A GrizzlyStix ferrule is SMALLER than a BAR ring, meaning that the bar ring is introducing drag unless you lathe turn down your bar rings.

I know this sounds a bit complex, but it really does matter. If we are measuring penetration, any ferrule smaller than the insert/outsert/shaft is going to give inaccurate results. This troubles me. I keep looking at the step or round-over shape of the butt end of the ferrule in your videos wondering which is creating drag at that juncture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg