A friend of mine used to use Leupolds, they just couldn't handle the recoil on .500 calibers. They kept on sending new ones which kept failing. He finally gave up on them and went a different direction.

Now, that was some years ago, so they might be better now.
What direction was that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.34.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.34.17 AM.png
    665 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.34.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.34.18 AM.png
    580 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.34.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.34.20 AM.png
    438.2 KB · Views: 87
Leupold. I had Vortex on one of my guns and it didn't seem as clear and sharp as Leupold. Switched it out for Leupold like all the rest of my guns.

Sorry about that, forgot about S&B.

One thing I will add is not to skimp when it comes to glass.
I had a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 on my CZ550 375.
I now have a Swaro Z8i and the difference isn't even close.
Save your pennies and do it right the first time.
When you say the difference isn’t even close what does that mean? I have the same Leupold 1.5-5 on my 375, then older vx-2s 3-9x40 on my other primary hunting rifles, then even a 2-7 Leupold from the late 1980s on one of my rifles. The glass is still clear on all and all hold zero. I’ve rented rifles in Europe with Swarovski and Zeiss scopes and besides the illuminated scopes really couldn’t tell the difference for hunting purposes. I have definitely seen the difference between binoculars glassing at long distances and will never use cheaper binoculars again, but I’ve always been really content with my Leupold scopes.

Used a VX-III 1.5-5x24 on a .495 A-Square - it did fine with recoil and now resides on a .30-06 Turk Mauser. Of course it was an A-Square Coil-check style stock...

Second vote for 2.5-8x36 for .375 Ruger

I have a Vortex 2-7 scout scope and it is really a 2-5 scout scope as you start to lose clarity at the edges on 6 & 7x. No other complaints - seems to be good value for what I paid for it. Also have a 6-24x50 for a Rem 700 in .308, but have not gotten to shoot more than 100 rounds through it, so really no valid judgment/input I could provide on that one yet.

Nikon just bailed from making rifle scopes to appease the bird huggers - why would one reward betrayal of hunters by buying any of their products?!

Thanks, "One Day...", for the CZ550 info!

Last edited:
A cheap rifle you can make into a very good shooter. A cheap scope will always be a cheap scope or paper weight. JMO, but spend your money on a quality scope or learn to use open sights.

Good luck with what ever you get!

I know every scope maker can let a bad one get out, but on a heavier kicker I'd prolly take the leupold. I have several leupold that never let me down. I do also own two vortex pst gen 2 vipers around $1150 when they first came out and when I bought them. They have been wonderful and track great when shooting to 1,000 yards. But they are on 12-16 pound target rifles in 6.5 creedmoor, so they really dont have any recoil.

You’ve got to go with Leupold IMO. Just great scopes made here in the USA. The 4-12x40 looks really good.
Now I’m wanting to buy a new scope!
Sorry guys I’m just not impressed with the flavor of the month scopes by Vortex. I’ve got the best quality and variety with my many Leupold scopes. I have several inexpensive .22 scopes up to the VX6 scopes and they are All great.
Philip

I am a Leupold fan , my choices would be Leupold VX3 in either 2,5-8x36 or the 3-10x40 .

Both will work very well.

I bought two Vipers when they first came out based on the kool-aid so many were drinking and writing about. They were not on heavy recoiling rifles and never broke. In good daylight they were fine. In low light my two least expensive scopes were better-Fullfield II’s. I got rid of the Vipers. Of the choices given I’d definitely go with a VX-3i 2.5-8x36. Speaking for myself if I could afford it I’d look at Leica but I can’t. My nicest scopes are Leupold, Meopta and one Zeiss. I can honestly say I’ve never missed or not taken a shot because of the quality of my scope. I’d still buy nicer scopes if I could. I didn’t mention Swarovski because for whatever reason I don’t see well through them. It’s me, not the scope. Swarovski makes excellent scopes.

I've got a Leupold VXR 2x7x33 Fire-dot on my 375, can't wait to take it to Africa, only punched paper with it so far. The several different brightness levels of the fire-dot are nice, and the fact the fire-dot turns off automatically after no movement is detected is a bonus, saves your battery.

I've got a Leupold VXR 2x7x33 Fire-dot on my 375, can't wait to take it to Africa, only punched paper with it so far. The several different brightness levels of the fire-dot are nice, and the fact the fire-dot turns off automatically after no movement is detected is a bonus, saves your battery.

That's the exact setup I have on my Model 70 .375, works great!

I was talking to a outfitter friend of mine down in Arizona and we were talking about scopes. The only two that he recommends are Leupold and Nightforce.

He said that he has seen way too many Swaro take a beating and then loose their zero while hunting in Arizona and the mountains of Colorado. He also said that he has seen a horse roll over on a rifle that was packing a Leupold and it came up shooting right were it was suppose to be shooting.

You may also want to look at the warranty on the Swaros now. I am not sure if it is something new or now but if you purchase them on the used market or from a unauthorized dealer then you won't have a warranty, it even states that in their warranty section. On another forum a member sent in his binoculars and Swaroski would not fix them without a credit card to pay for the repairs. Leupold you just sent it in with a description of the problem and they will take care of it, scopes or binoculars. The only item that Leupold has a limited warranty on is their rangefinders or anything that has electronics on.

Vortex is another questionable brand. Yes they work but there is a store that sells refurbished Vortex optics, you just have to wonder just how good they are when there is a store that makes money off of returned items.

It is Leupold for me all the way

When you say the difference isn’t even close what does that mean? I have the same Leupold 1.5-5 on my 375, then older vx-2s 3-9x40 on my other primary hunting rifles, then even a 2-7 Leupold from the late 1980s on one of my rifles. The glass is still clear on all and all hold zero. I’ve rented rifles in Europe with Swarovski and Zeiss scopes and besides the illuminated scopes really couldn’t tell the difference for hunting purposes. I have definitely seen the difference between binoculars glassing at long distances and will never use cheaper binoculars again, but I’ve always been really content with my Leupold scopes.
I've owned several Leupold scopes, VX3's and a FX-II.
I've looked through VX5's and VX6's to compare them to Swaro, S&B, Zeiss and Leica.
When I say "It isn't even close", I'm talking about optical clarity, light transmission and features.
I looked through these scopes at dusk comparing apples to apples.
The guys at Euro Optic let me walk into the parking lot with 5 or 6 scopes at dusk to compare them.
I was out there for an hour or so with my wife, switching back and forth.

I had been a Leupold guy for a long time, but after looking through the higher end glass I was sold.
The combination of features, illuminated reticle and having a rail (no scope rings) sealed the deal.
I truly believe you can't go wrong with Swaro, S&B, Zeiss and Leica scopes.
It's just a matter of what features you really want and who offers them.

Is there a reason that Leupold sells the the VX6, VX5, VX3...etc.
Yes, of course there is...there are different levels of quality and features, all at a price point.
Same goes for the ones I mentioned.

Of course, everything at a price and I understand we are all on some kind of budget.
That is why I said to keep an eye on the classified (or eBay, Arm List, GB...etc) for used ones.
You can find some really good deals out there, if you are willing to put in the time and research.

Will the Leupold scope get it done...ABSOLUTELY it will.
I'd take it 10 times out of 10 over any Vortex scope.
However, I take a Swaro 10 times out of 10 over a Leupold.

Take your time and do it right the first time.
You have an excellent rifle, it deserves the best scope you can get for it.

Cheers and good luck.

I use Swaro, Leupold, Nightforce and Zeiss scopes. I find the Leupold VX6 very comparable to my Swaro Z6’s. The Swaro Z8 is in a league of its own. Nightforce are great but heavy. My .375 wears a Swaro Z6 EE 1-6x.

No personal experience with the Vortex scopes. I am a die hard fan of the older (pre-Freedom) ones and have a version of them on all rifles except 2x with 1985 Zeiss 6x32 Diatal C's and one Nikon Monarch. On my 2x (mine and mine) 375 Rugers, I've got Leopold VX R's 1.5-5x33's. Lots of full power rounds thru both and no issues. I'm pretty sure the VX R's have dual erector springs on the reticle mounts to handle heavy recoil. Also have a VX R 1-4x on my 458 WM.

Have they all be 100% no problem and trouble free - No. I've had several go tits up over the years. What mattered to me is, I mailed them to Leopold and in a couple of weeks I got it back or a brand new scope if they couldn't repair it - NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

One year I brought one back from my friend in Namibia. It was a very old 1-4x20 that was on his father's Brno 375 H&H. Over the years, both lenses had become so scratched from his just using his dusty shirt or wet (spit) fingertip to clean they were nearly opaque and at some it had gotten dropped, while on the rifle and the main tube was bent. Got home mailed it off to Leopold and told them what happened and that I would pay for the repairs. A few weeks later, the same scope came back with new lenses and a new main tube....NO CHARGE.

Earlier this year, I picked up an older Leupold VX-III 2-7 at a gunshow. Lens had started to get cloudy but got it at a very fair price, with the intention of just shipping it straight to Leupold. Did that and a few weeks later, I get package from them with a note saying the old scope was not repairable so they replaced it with a brand new VX 3i Freedom. Now, I just have to find a rifle to try it on.

In real estate the slogan is, "Location, location, location". In retail it is "service, service, service" and my personal experience with Leopold has been exceptionally positive.

I have a Leupold VX3 3.5x10 on my 375 since mid 90s great scope has easily taken way over 100 animals. I had a VX3 1.5x5 on my 450 Ackley it handled the recoil fine but transferred it to an AR. My 500 A2 had a Leupold 2.5 fixed and it handled the recoil fine but I switched to a Nikon Slughunter for increased magnification.

I use Swaro, Leupold, Nightforce and Zeiss scopes. I find the Leupold VX6 very comparable to my Swaro Z6’s. The Swaro Z8 is in a league of its own. Nightforce are great but heavy. My .375 wears a Swaro Z6 EE 1-6x.
That extra eye relief is very welcome on heavy recoiling rifles.

For those that don't know the "EE" stands for "Extended Eye" relief.
That Z6 has about 4.72" of eye relief, making a scope cut much less likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg