Von Gruff knives brag board

This deluxe bushcraft hunter goes with me everywhere. It's my go to knife for everything. Once I received it, I gifted away all my other hunting knives. If @Von Gruff knew the abuse I did to his knife he'd probably unfriend me. A bit of oil finish on the handle, beeswax on the sheath, and a bit of polishing with the strop and it looks like brand new again. (while telling no tales of the horrors its been subjected to)

IMG_2854.JPG

@rookhawk what is the handle made from?
beautiful knife!
When passing his knife to me, a good friend of mine is frequently heard saying, “it is not a pry bar.”

I think it’s bone and lacewood? @Von Gruff would know for certain.

And sadly, it has been a pry bar before. It’s been used as a hammer before. It’s been used to crack the sternum on big game before. Everything in the “never do this to a knife” booklet has been done to this knife and it still goes back to razor sharp. Good carbon steel, extra thick, and a scandi edge makes it virtually indestructible.

I think it’s bone and lacewood? @Von Gruff would know for certain.

And sadly, it has been a pry bar before. It’s been used as a hammer before. It’s been used to crack the sternum on big game before. Everything in the “never do this to a knife” booklet has been done to this knife and it still goes back to razor sharp. Good carbon steel, extra thick, and a scandi edge makes it virtually indestructible.
It has leopard wood over giraffe bone on the O1 blade @rookhawk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roohawk, how do you like the cross draw sheath?
Its one of many ideas i liked and pondered before settling on lets just do it!
My problem was i wanted practical and compact but being a custom i wanted to get it right.
I like the Buffallo skinner for looks but i wanted a different blade anyway. Its for use not collecting. Part of what i was trying to do was look at the different attributes on the Von Gruff offerings. Like the mini skinner but maybe a little different blade this handle shape etc carbon steel.
The main thing was i wanted an Aussie wood for the handle of my Kiwi knife. Somethong local from my area etc
I supplied some Redgum and Garry stabilsed it and tested it to see if he was happy.
When i asked for Maroon Micarta handles for the cooks chef knife he made that happen too.

Roohawk, how do you like the cross draw sheath?
Its one of many ideas i liked and pondered before settling on lets just do it!
My problem was i wanted practical and compact but being a custom i wanted to get it right.
I like the Buffallo skinner for looks but i wanted a different blade anyway. Its for use not collecting. Part of what i was trying to do was look at the different attributes on the Von Gruff offerings. Like the mini skinner but maybe a little different blade this handle shape etc carbon steel.
The main thing was i wanted an Aussie wood for the handle of my Kiwi knife. Somethong local from my area etc
I supplied some Redgum and Garry stabilsed it and tested it to see if he was happy.
When i asked for Maroon Micarta handles for the cooks chef knife he made that happen too.

I was skeptical of the crossdraw sheath at first but I love it now.
If I was to order another for a lifetime of hard use, I’d like the back piece of leather doubled and stitched+glued together with all edges merged with gum tragacanth like a pancake pistol holster.

That would surely add significantly to the costs (good pancake holsters are $200?) but it would add longevity. I think the sheath I have is suitable for perhaps 100-200 days of wear whereas cops wear the full pancake styles for 700-1000 days before needing replacement. For an average hunter this would be an unnecessary upgrade.

I was skeptical of the crossdraw sheath at first but I love it now.
If I was to order another for a lifetime of hard use, I’d like the back piece of leather doubled and stitched+glued together with all edges merged with gum tragacanth like a pancake pistol holster.

That would surely add significantly to the costs (good pancake holsters are $200?) but it would add longevity. I think the sheath I have is suitable for perhaps 100-200 days of wear whereas cops wear the full pancake styles for 700-1000 days before needing replacement. For an average hunter this would be an unnecessary upgrade.
I did look at the doubled leather backing but the extra time to make (by hand) made it an expencive option.
Is it the belt loop that finally gives way as a simple expedient to maintain the single leather backing (price advantage) would be to add depth (top and bottom) and width to the belp loop and do it in a heavier leather if everyday carry was a need. That would only add about $10 to a sheath.

I did look at the doubled leather backing but the extra time to make (by hand) made it an expencive option.
Is it the belt loop that finally gives way as a simple expedient to maintain the single leather backing (price advantage) would be to add depth (top and bottom) and width to the belp loop and do it in a heavier leather if everyday carry was a need. That would only add about $10 to a sheath.

Hi @Von Gruff the quality is exceptional as-is on the sheath and most people would not enjoy the cumbersome bulk of three or four ply of 8 ounce leather the way I’m describing the classic “revolver pancake holster” style. Indeed, those types of firearms holsters, even when made in emerging markets with low wages can run hundreds of dollars alone.

My sheath still has many days left in it, probably another 100 days of use or more under adverse conditions. Surely a 1000 days of life left if I wore it in comfortable conditions or in an air conditioned car. (For readers considering sheaths, be careful to understand the sheer abuse I’m putting a knife sheath under that exceeds the abuse that ANY commercial sheath can endure)

When in the bush and sweating buckets, a sheath will start to take on salt stains and become water logged after day after day of use. This is a situation that wouldn’t occur in a typical Autumn cool weather hunt in North America or New Zealand.

At any rate, a multi-ply pancake holster is able to endure that soggy abuse day after day for a few reasons: 1.) it’s just thicker, which makes it less comfortable of course. 2.) the lamination of the leather runs in different directions so the loops/skits are resisting stretch in all directions, even when wet. 3.) the entire pancake and the loops are saddle stitched all the way through the plys further resisting any malformation.

It would surely be unnecessary for most hunters. For the 5% of hunters that would encounter this it would probably be the same cost to just have two knives and two sheaths and rotate them daily like we do our hunting boots to significantly extend their lives. (E.g. two pairs of boots last 3x longer than one pair) Or you could just buy a new sheath after 100 days of horrific use under tropical 100F conditions.

Or you could have a pancake holster made for $200-$300 of its that important to the user. Financially, it doesn’t make much sense to do so but I find my Von Gruff knife to be so special and significant to me that I keep thinking about doing it in a few years when I’ve destroyed the beautiful sheath I have now.

Hi @Von Gruff t

When in the bush and sweating buckets, a sheath will start to take on salt stains and become water logged after day after day of use. This is a situation that wouldn’t occur in a typical Autumn cool weather hunt in North America or New Zealand.
. I wonder how my hot waxing (where the leather is held into the 230 F parafin to completely soak in) which is to protect against moisture takeup will hold up against this sweating etc. I am particularly pleased to hear that you are using this knife sucessfully for the intended purposes outlined in your original thread on failure of so many knife and sheath options on the market that are supposedly designed for this purpose.

@rookhawk do you know where I can find your original thread quoted by @Von Gruff ?
What are the conditions you are in? If your gonna be hard on your gear a KaBar with a Kydex sheath might be better for you
i bought a custom knife to have a usable knife but will treat it with care, its a Custom knife.

@rookhawk do you know where I can find your original thread quoted by @Von Gruff ?
What are the conditions you are in? If your gonna be hard on your gear a KaBar with a Kydex sheath might be better for you
i bought a custom knife to have a usable knife but will treat it with care, its a Custom knife.

I hunt everywhere possible but find myself hunting Africa in hot/wet season.

i would never own kydex, Kabar, synthetic stocks, stainless blades, polyester clothes, etc. I just dont swing that way. (i don’t believe there is a gun or knife too nice not to use it in a rainstorm....just service it afterwards) Plus, I know how to care for traditional hunting gear but i’d be at a loss with the modern stuff.

@Von Gruff your parafin wax dip works great for sheaths. The only area it breaks down is the belt loops that are stretched and flexed under heavy, damp use.

@rookhawk Yeah I don’t want a Kydex sheath either. Just sounds like you had some heavy duty use going on. It sounds like the knife is holding up to your requirements and the sheath well it’s leather it’s going to wear and tear. It might be interesting to see how many incarnations of sheaths the knife sees with regular hunts.

I wanted the Von Gruff as they are well liked here and I like the traditional stuff. Leather, wood and Carbon steel along with a Bullet slide on my hunting belt.
Stainless is ok with me but a nice blued and timber stocked rifle will always be a classic look.

Above is a photo of the knife Garry made for me a couple years ago- where has the time gone? I still haven't located a burl that I'm going to send to him.
that was the first thumbrest skinner and has had a few others wanting the same pattern since then.

Favorite Von Gruff? The 4X4 Hunter that has been on my belt for a week may take the title of favorite everyday knife from the 1st Light Hunter I got back in 2018. The stone wash blade, buckeye handle, bronze bolster on the 4x4 almost make it look too nice to use. Almost.
Favorite that I own but cant bring myself to use?
2019 Safari giraffe bone handle, buff horn bolster. Hands down the knife that everyone that sees it wants to hold it. I own too many of Garry's to pick just one favorite
20200830_084839 (2).jpg
20200830_085610 (2).jpg
20200830_085229 (2).jpg

My wife's knife. A Vin Gruff 5-1/2" Chefs knife. She saw some stuff on his dite and while she has no shortage of commercial kitchen knives i thought it only fair she should have one Custom made too.
Garry sourced Maroon linen Micarta at my request and this is the end result. Its a nice finish and i would not hesitate to use Maroon on a hunting knife. It looks domewhst natursl and this linen micarta has a little character. I believe Canvas Micarta is a little more grippy.
View attachment 364908ifeView attachment 364908
@CBH
Both very nice knives mate but a bit sexist getting her a kitchen knife. Haha haha. She will enjoy using it as a good knife makes life easier.
Enjoy them mate Garry does beautiful work.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross