VIP service at JNB for bowhunter

wapiti

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone know of a service that will assist us from the gate to the City Lodge? We want someone to take us through customs, immigration and to the SAPS office to collect our bow. Our bow went there on our last trip. We had this service through a travel agency last time but we aren't using them this time. They charged $460 to book airline tickets and an additional $90 for VIP service! They are not a sponsor on this board.

Henry at @riflepermits.com, he is a sponsor on the site here.

I used Hunters Support and would use them again their service was very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used henrys last year for gun permit and customs service. Be using them again in july for trip coming up.

Henry at @riflepermits.com does what you want for around $80 for up to four people in your party.

Last edited by a moderator:
My methodology is to go into the South African citizen customs line (always shorter), when done grab your bags from the conveyor, head to the SAPS office IF they mistook your bow case for a gun. Walk in to SAPS and ask for my Bow and grab it. There is no need to clear it, for you to declare it or be inspected. It is not a firearm.
Bring a two cans of Cream Soda to hand over, as a "cold drink". (Being obtuse about bribes is always way more fun.)
Walk to City Lodge and watch as the rifle guys slowly trickle in to the bar after you have had four or five after your dinner. :)

Having someone greet you to save "older" legs from standing in a long customs line may be worth it to you, in that case, like everyone has suggested already, ask Henry.

Have a fun trip.

Does anyone know of a service that will assist us from the gate to the City Lodge? We want someone to take us through customs, immigration and to the SAPS office to collect our bow. Our bow went there on our last trip. We had this service through a travel agency last time but we aren't using them this time. They charged $460 to book airline tickets and an additional $90 for VIP service! They are not a sponsor on this board.
There are many services to choose from but I do not think you will need them. City Lodge is attached to JNB and I am sure you will not have any problems with customs with bows. That said it is a long ways to Africa and I don't blame you for seeking out a good meet and greet VIP service.
I like and recommend City Lodge. It is very inexpensive and has a bar and nice breakfast. Plus it is attached to the airport!
Regards,
Philip

My wife and I have traveled with bows to SA multiple times and only once did one of our bows end up in SAPS, a couple of times it was in the oversize luggage area and when flying SAA they had them in a special holding room with the guns.

Thanks, I contacted Henry just waiting for a reply. My bow went to SAPS last time. My double bow case looks like a rifle case. We stayed at City Lodge last time and enjoyed our stay. I'm sure we could find our way but it's just so much easier to let someone guide us.

Any "case" bow or otherwise manages to make its way to the SAPS firearms office.
Let us know how the service turns out.

Enjoy your hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross