Vintage Sporting Mauser For Sale

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
This is a rifle I've had sitting around that I thought someone on here would enjoy.

It clearly was built as a sporting rifle, not a military converted weapon. It's chambered for 8x57 JS, (.323" bullet) I took a chamber cast and a cast of the muzzle to verify those facts today.

The maker isn't marked, but it looks very much like some Simson rifles I've seen.

Features: Nicely engraved bottom metal and action. FULL LENGTH matted barrel rib. Standing and folding rear sights. Claw mounts. Horn grip cap. Standard and Set trigger. Schabel forend tip. Nice cheek piece. Decent checkering. Smooth action. Shiny bore. Weight of 6lbs 14oz. In the absence of a measuring tape, I'm guessing 24" barrel and 14" length of pull.

It would make a nice stalking rifle, The full-length rib allows the gun to have a lighter barrel while still providing rigidity.

Known issues: The barrel is shiny and I see no pits, but when I cleaned it the rifling grooves continue to weep lead...it needs a good cleaning regimen. The tiny screw that controls the set trigger adjustment has fallen out. You need a small screw to tune the set trigger. (Regular trigger works fine) It's missing the rear sling stud in the stock. (on ebay $5) It is missing a standard secondary locking bottom metal screw. (on ebay $8) The stock has a variety of dings in it. A steaming of the stock dents, cleaning the checkering, and some stock oil would be a nice thing for the new owner to do.

It's a nice quality gun that could be brought back to life and enjoyed by someone for many years more hunting. Selling it for my son's expenses to go hunting later this year.

The gun's parts are worth more than I'm asking.

$725 delivered in the lower 48 states. *You attest you will comply with all local laws and that you are authorized to own a gun in your jurisdiction. Curio & Relic eligible.

IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG
IMG_2273.JPG
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3963.JPG
IMG_5255.JPG
IMG_5324.JPG
IMG_5869.JPG
IMG_6995.JPG
IMG_7299.JPG
IMG_8038.JPG
IMG_8491.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice.. wish it was here in RSA!!

Wish I had some money right now. I have a 257 Roberts that has an identical reciever and the exact same engraving pattern.

I have this rifle in 10.75x68. The makers name is engraved in the rib. I’ll take it out of the safe tonight and take photos.
I don’t have the butter knife bolt however.

I just received this rifle from Rookhawk today. What a treasure! This is an absolutely beautiful and unique weapon. I hope to refurbish it in a tasteful and appropriate manner and use it for many years to come.

Also, I must say that Rookhawk was a pleasure to deal with and a wealth of knowledge on vintage arms.

Glad you liked it @WAB

I think we deduced that these guns were made by Funk in Germany for those following this thread, a well regarded maker.

Please post your progress conserving the rifle and let us know how it shoots! Word to the wise? The Europeans loved heavy for caliber bullets with bullets protruding as much as possible into the lands for maximum accuracy. Many factory loads for 8x57JS are sold this way also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross