Vintage Ammo! — Shoot / Don’t Shoot

275r7x57

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have some older ammo. About 30 years old. I would like to hunt Buffalo with. Any concerns? Shoot / Don’t Shoot

A-Squared 375 H&H 300 Grain
Federal 375 H&H 300 Grain

Thanks

It depends on their storage condition if they are safe to shoot. I shoot 35 yr old Weatherby reloads and have shot 70 yr old surplus, but I don’t know about hunting with them. There are better bullets today. Especially for hunting buffalo, I personally would shy away from using them. My $0.02.

It is strange that for so many things, 30 years ago is but a short time, while with other things it is so long that anything from then is very old and not worth serious consideration.
I know we are talking about ammo but the thought does surface however in the OP's question there is the hunt (possibly an only or one of very few) for buffalo so I would certainly want to use the best ammo available and save the "old stuff" for practice of sticks etc.

30 years is not very old for ammo. (although it may seem so to some young readers.) I shoot a lot of VN era 5.56 and cold war 7.62 stuff from 50 years ago, and some WW2 ammo as well. But as Bourbon said, storage conditions are critical. And unless it's use is nostalgia driven, there may be better choices for the actual hunt............ for practice ammo?, I wouldn't hesitate.........good luck on whatever you decide...............FWB

practice for sure, you spending decent money on a buff hunt, why risk it, buy a few boxes of good quality ammo, nothing compared to cost of the hunt, or a wounded buff

practice for sure, you spending decent money on a buff hunt, why risk it, buy a few boxes of good quality ammo, nothing compared to cost of the hunt, or a wounded buff
+1
a Safari is not pocket change, but a couple of boxes of new ammo is pocket change comparable.

As far as I'm concerned, you've already been given the correct answer. On occasion I still hunt Whitetails with '06 ammo I reloaded in the mid 80(s). Storage conditions have always been cool & dry. But that isn't the same as an African Cape Buffalo hunt. I'd use the best ammo I could get my hands on for that hunt. Use the old stuff for practice.

I wouldn’t worry about the age per se. I’d look at what the bullets are. A-square dead tough would be fine. No idea what the federal is loaded with.

If you are worried about the performance, chronograph a few rounds. But it would have to have been stored poorly indeed for it not to work properly. WW2 ammo is still working fine.

I think Bert has the right idea. If they chrono totally normal, I'd use them and if they looked a little fishy, I wouldn't. If you know exactly how they've been stored it helps a lot. But I gotta recommend a couple boxes of fresh stuff if you're hunting buffalo. Just my thoughts.

Too old? Nope. Dont know what the specific ammo's are and what bullets they use. May be better choices today, but the age sure wouldnt worry me.
30 years is nothing.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts. The ammo is in its original boxes stored in a cool dry place.

I have some hand loads that I loaded 20 years ago that I still hunt with. And some hand loads that my dad loaded 50 years ago. Never had a problem.

I really like a-squared bullets and there design. Although I have never hunted with them. Have any of you guys hunted with a-squared bullets or ammo?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 10.43.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 10.43.50 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 58
Why? The cost of a safari all in, firearm, flights, the actual safari even if it was free is huge compared to the price of some new ammunition. Not to mention the added risk of ammunition failure and putting your life and the lives of others at risk. Buffalo are mean and nasty and wounding one, not recovering it and putting others at risk immediately or later when they are unaware of its presence is foolhardy. Use it for practise, if it is vintage and collectable don't even think of using it.

Too old? Nope. Dont know what the specific ammo's are and what bullets they use. May be better choices today, but the age sure wouldnt worry me.
30 years is nothing.
Has anything changed in 30 years with components? Are powders and primers all the same? Any increase in reliability with modern ammo/components? I have someone who hand loads for me and will also use factory ammo, but I’m too young to know what was normal 30 years ago. I’ve only had 1 round not fire that I can remember, a 223 round with a strong dent on the primer.

Practice OK, DG hunting different story. Pull the bullets, dump the powder remove the primers clean the brass and start over JMTC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross