DillonG

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
None
Of course, being a new member and not yet taken my first trip to Africa has me exploring every option under the sun and planning for that first trip. I have seen so many posts about making memories, but haven’t come across a thread about capturing a hunt on video. I certainly see the value in capturing a hunt on video, and would like some suggestions. After all, a hunt should first and foremost be about making memories that will last the remainder of life. If you have a videographer that has worked for you that you enjoy, please post a comment or recommendation. Again, this is out of sheer curiosity for myself and hopefully other hunters to derive some knowledge as well.

I've been on 2 hunts where filming was taking place. I personally know and keep in communication with both videographers. Both are very good at what they do! If you have an inkling to video your hunt, I would not hesitate to point you to either Scott Jurgens or Chris Esterhuizen. I can certainly put you in touch with them if you decide to look into it further.

Last edited:
I had one filmed. It was fine but I now find that I enjoy the trophies and photos much more than the film. I doubt that I would do it again, but that may just be my personal taste.

I had one filmed. It was fine but I now find that I enjoy the trophies and photos much more than the film. I doubt that I would do it again, but that may just be my personal taste.
I understand that a video may not be for everyone. I just am looking at the value of capturing the moment and getting to relive the trip after. Did you find the price to be worth the service?

On my hunt we shared a video guy with 3 hunters, just the luck of the draw on who got him first and then if you got into a good animal while he was with you.

My problem was that in the 3 days that he was with me I only shot one of 8 animals that we got on camera. It is fun to go back and watch what was going on those days but there really isn't anything that I am actually interested in.

Would I do it again. That is also a toss up. To pay for one for your whole trip would be enough for at lease a couple more animals.

It is a must if you are able to- especially with non-importable species into the US (if you are considering hunting those). I highly, highly recommend Chris Esterhuizen of Jongosi Media who has previously been mentioned above. He has filmed for many of the TV hosts that currently hunt Africa. He is a stellar guy and will be able to capture your hunt with expert quality and care. If you need me to assist you in getting in touch with him, just PM me. He will be filming me in 2 weeks as well as others here on this forum after me.

I talked to several and I used Bush Bro Productions and I was very pleased with the outcome,
I was hesitatant at first as knowing absolutely nothing on the subject I found just ask questions.
I chose them cause I wanted all the footage that they recorded when they were done and Henk Jacobs (owner) said its your footage , everyone else said NO. If i remember it cost like $2300 for 7 days and they gave me all footage before I left only had to bring SD card and he downloaded it for me. That included his flight to PE and back as they were out of Limpopo I believe.
Bush Bro has a facebook page and they were recommended to me and I would use them again if I decide to we had a young chap that was PH Pieter Grober was our camera man very delightful young guy and I still keep in touch with him on social media.

It is very much personal, but also hard to know if it’s for you till you try. When I did my first hunt two years ago I looked for the very same feedback you are now.

Things that made me decide one way or the other.

-if you have family you want to share with ( I had a large viewing at my house with 30-40 close family as no one had ever been to Africa) and showed it to my work buddies

- as noted above, it’s a great idea if you’re hunting non-exportable animals. instead of the shipping, dip/pack, taxidermy. Video is cheap comparable.

-I have a young family and went solo. So it was more a way to share with them, but it’s also something I can rematch every time I get the itch.

My camera guy Justin Drainer has been a longtime friend and worked with CM Safaris, it was honestly like having 2 PHs with me. It’s an extra set of trained eyes, a great fun guy to have in camp and like I said, they had been through so much together and his experience, it’s like a cheap second PH. A 1x2 safari hahaha

- find someone who also takes good photos Too. I find that almost as valuable. Sure you’ll have your camera but I found just as much enjoyment in candid photos I didn’t even know he was taking along the way.

Damn these threads... I had already decided not to get my next hunt filmed, but reading about Chris, I ended up booking him anyway.

There are always three or four of us in our hunting groups and we film each other. It's heaps of fun. I would far rather use the money to pay for a buddy to come on the hunt, sharing the experience is everything. If you can then tip to a videographer as well that's great.

I understand that a video may not be for everyone. I just am looking at the value of capturing the moment and getting to relive the trip after. Did you find the price to be worth the service?

Yes, it was included in the hunt price which was a very competitive price to begin with. Part of my problem is that I feel like a total dork on film (no comments from my friends necessary!)

Yes, it was included in the hunt price which was a very competitive price to begin with. Part of my problem is that I feel like a total dork on film (no comments from my friends necessary!)
You won’t hear a negative word from me! In all seriousness though, I really see the value in having hunts on video. Personally, I just got done fishing for a week with 2 uncles and my grandfather. It may be the last fishing trip I get to take with my grandfather due to some recent bad news from his doctor. I tried videoing and taking photos using a brand new cell phone. I still had to take notes to remember the trip because I am terrible about remembering to take time to video and snap pictures on a consistent basis. So, if I have to sacrifice 2 animals per trip to have my safari on film, I am ok with it.

I expected many responses saying that the camera guy screwed up stalks and filming took up unnecessary time.

I am truly sorry to hear about your grandfather. You raise an excellent point. My oldest son was a talented musician, national merit scholar, US senate page, you get the picture. We lost him at 18. What I wouldn’t do for the videos of those productions he was in! I’m glad you had that time with your grandfather and managed to capture some of it on video.

Damn these threads... I had already decided not to get my next hunt filmed, but reading about Chris, I ended up booking him anyway.

You can’t go wrong with my buddy Chris of Jongosi Media- in fact, he is truly one of my best friends of all time. He will put together an extremely well done final video for you. The folks on Outdoor and Sportsman’s channels use him for a reason!!

Of course, being a new member and not yet taken my first trip to Africa has me exploring every option under the sun and planning for that first trip. I have seen so many posts about making memories, but haven’t come across a thread about capturing a hunt on video. I certainly see the value in capturing a hunt on video, and would like some suggestions. After all, a hunt should first and foremost be about making memories that will last the remainder of life. If you have a videographer that has worked for you that you enjoy, please post a comment or recommendation. Again, this is out of sheer curiosity for myself and hopefully other hunters to derive some knowledge as well.
I’ve been in front of the camera quite a bit. You have to weigh the cost and the trouble of another person on the hunt to film. There can be blown stalks and the like that you were not planning on. The hunt may not turn out to be as good as you had hoped and then you’ve got the expense and footage of something that was not the best. I would advise against it on your first hunt. Go and enjoy and don’t have anything extra to worry about.
All of that said a good film of a good hunt can be really neat.
Regards,
Philip

On my first safari, my PH contacted me a few months before the hunt telling me a good videographer was available. I considered it but declined.
During the hunt I mentioned it to my PH and he said I think you made the right choice.
A question would be: How many times have you watched your wedding video? You may watch it a few times; show it to some friends and that’s it. For it’s cost you can shoot several additional animals or make the down payment on safari #2.

A good friend of my Dad’s came along on his first African hunt, my first African hunt, and two other trips. He filmed it all and edited it and made quality videos each time, but we may have watched them at most twice. The photos mean a lot more to us, I have no idea where videos are now. If you plan on returning to Africa I think you would rather put the money towards a second hunt.

On my first safari, my PH contacted me a few months before the hunt telling me a good videographer was available. I considered it but declined.
During the hunt I mentioned it to my PH and he said I think you made the right choice.
A question would be: How many times have you watched your wedding video? You may watch it a few times; show it to some friends and that’s it. For it’s cost you can shoot several additional animals or make the down payment on safari #2.
You beat me to it while I was typing!

I am planning my third trip over for 2021. I have been reading this thread and had thought about having this next 21 day trip filmed before this thread started. I thought about all the positives and negatives,have quotes from from 4 companies. I have decided against having it filmed. For the cost of it for 21 days I can shoot a lot more animals or pay a big chunk of dip/pack/taxidermy. I decided just want me, PH and camp staff in camp for the entire hunt. Where I am hunting they dont mix groups so I will have camp to myself the entire time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg